Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking in the background for six months since purchasing my first CRV. Had experience of other manufacturers SUVs but the test drive was my first time behind the wheel of a Honda. Decided upon a Japanese car after experiencing the downside of owning several overrated European marques which were less than dependable. Tested the Japanese market by buying a Mazda diesel saloon which was fraught with problems due to the DPF design, the bain of all things diesel. Added to the demonisation of the Diesel engine in the Uk it was time to move to petrol cars and given that hybrids are becoming more available I decided to focus on hybrid models.

Test drove a number of cars but was blown away with the CRV Hybrid, the spec, the drivability and the general experience of driving a quality product. Did my research on the CVT transmission and hybrid setup as most of my driving experience has been with manual transmission. Cannot believe the smoothness of the CVT although it gets a bit excited when pushed. Anyway I digress and it's fairly obvious I am a fan of my new car and hopefully can add to the forum in the future.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Yay, a fellow Brit! :giggle:

I recently picked up my 1.5T EX.

I did drive the Hybrid, but I just wasnt sold on it due to the inflated price and the concern about the degradation of the battery pack over time. Look forward to seeing your pics too! (y)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yay, a fellow Brit! :giggle:

I recently picked up my 1.5T EX.

I did drive the Hybrid, but I just wasnt sold on it due to the inflated price and the concern about the degradation of the battery pack over time. Look forward to seeing your pics too! (y)
Just seen the photos of the EX, very nice indeed. There was a similar spec car in the showroom when I bought my SR. I was tempted to make an offer but had set my mind on a Hybrid. I had seen the US hysteria regarding the 1.5T oil dilution (no doubt unfounded) and having suffered similar angst with a Mazda diesel decided to stay clear.

I'd researched through life battery degradation and was confident that the Honda setup was sound and most probably exceeded my requirements for owning the car (I may revise that statement in 7 years time). I was more worried about temporary operating degradation due to ambient temperature fluctuations but assume this won't cause any concerns due to our relatively mild weather in the UK.

I'll update this assumption as the winter progresses....

·
Banned
524 Posts
I swapped from a 1.5T Civic Prestige - absolutely NO oil/dilution issues. And from what I know, the issues no longer exists and hence why I felt comfortable based on my experience with the Civic, to opt for the petrol-powered CR-V.

Please do post up some pics of your car - would love to see it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped from a 1.5T Civic Prestige - absolutely NO oil/dilution issues. And from what I know, the issues no longer exists and hence why I felt comfortable based on my experience with the Civic, to opt for the petrol-powered CR-V.

Please do post up some pics of your car - would love to see it.
I agree. I haven't saw one report in UK claiming oil dilution and your experience confirms that but my inner worry bead was jangling at the time. Thankfully I'm very happy with the Hybrid, drives beautifully, never fails to impress me and has surpassed all my previous cars with respect to ownership.

The car needs a spruce up to get the salt and muck off it before posting photos.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Looking forward to the pics!

I do a lot of stop-start sort of travel, and hence the Hybrid for me would have likely resulted in more wear/tear - and the Civic experience put me at ease.

That said, the higher BHP in the CR-V with 190 horses is a sweet peach and very, very refined, smooth and effortless. Better than even the 1.5T Civic was!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. I haven't saw one report in UK claiming oil dilution and your experience confirms that but my inner worry bead was jangling at the time. Thankfully I'm very happy with the Hybrid, drives beautifully, never fails to impress me and has surpassed all my previous cars with respect to ownership.

The car needs a spruce up to get the salt and muck off it before posting photos.
Can you post the Hybrid models MSRP ? It is a secret here in the USA, thanks

·
Administrator
3,347 Posts

·
Banned
524 Posts
UK car prices are far higher than in the US. But you can go to Honda UK website for their prices New CR-V Hybrid | Advanced, Sporty Hybrid SUV | Honda UK
Sadly, Honda in the UK (and Europe) is a very niche and marginal player, and now that the CR-V is imported from Japan to these shores, the costs were always going to rise.

Honda's are not cheap here. My top-spec CR-V nudges just shy of £41k with all the bits/extra's to it.

Compared to Honda's pricing in the USA, I'd still have £10k left in pocket change!

I have noticed though, that in the 11 months that the CR-V Hybrid has been available, pricing on used/ex-demonstrators is plummeting faster than the similarly modelled 1.5T gasoline models....and i have to date only seen TWO CR-V Hybrids on the road....suspect its a slow seller due to the price and people opting for the crappier RAV4 instead.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hybrid is very popular over here. The prices start at €30K incl 20% VAT.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't say I've been looking at sale prices of used/ex demonstrators so I cannot confirm whether the car is holding up well or losing ground against the 1.5 engine configuration price but I can say that after seven months of hybrid ownership I'm still very happy with my choice.

To be honest I have seen very few CRVs on the road so cannot comment on which model is most popular but I suspect the biggest stumbling block of the hybrid is the measly 750kg limited towing capacity which may be an issue to many buyers of SUVs. Not sure how important this will be to tha NA market.

·
Banned
524 Posts
I should have clarified that the pricing relates more to the lower spec "SE" trim of the Hybrid, not the SR/EX trims. They seem to be holding values quite well.

Yes the 750kg towing will be a deal breaker for some, especially when the competing RAV4 can lug almost three times that amount....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should have clarified that the pricing relates more to the lower spec "SE" trim of the Hybrid, not the SR/EX trims. They seem to be holding values quite well.

Yes the 750kg towing will be a deal breaker for some, especially when the competing RAV4 can lug almost three times that amount....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply's everyone. A couple of websites like Car & Driver have predicted the base model Hybrid in the USA will start at 28,000 dollars and will include AWD.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The Honda website for the 2020 CR-V Hybrid confirms the Real Time AWD on all trim levels:

The CR-V Hybrid offers:
Honda Sensing® Standard on All Trims
Real Time AWD™ Standard on All Trims
Two-Motor Hybrid Powertrain
Sport, Econ and EV Drive Modes
Easy Fold-Down 60/40 Split Rear Seatback
LED Headlights Standard on All Trims
Available Hands-Free Access Power Tailgate
Available Apple CarPlay® Integration*
Available Android Auto™ Integration*
Available Wireless Phone Charger*
2020 Honda CR-V: The Compact Hybrid SUV | Honda

There's no pricing on the Honda site, but KBB also suggests prices starting at US $28,000.

As a comparison, the 2020 CR-V LX AWD with the 1.5L Turbo engine starts at US $26,550.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts