Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is giving me her 2008 CRV for Christmas and I'll be driving it back the day after.
It has around 165K miles (or close to it) and is clean with good upkeep.
I like to do alot of the maintenance and repairs myself so I'll be looking around this site for advice.
I don't know jack about Honda, or any foreign vehicles, so I'll have a lot of questions I'm sure.
What regular maintenance can I expect to do? Any special tools, besides metric, that I'll need?
Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,877 Posts
WELCOME!

Hondas need regular ATF changes (with Honda fluids). If 4WD they need periodic diff fluid changes as well. At the 2008's age its due for coolant and brake fluid changes, as well. Brake Service is a yearly recommendation, too.

Hopefully they have service records with the car. If not, ask them NOW before they forget. :eek:

You won't need any exotic tools. Bent-tip feeler gauges (for adjusting valves) would be a good stocking-stuffer. Maybe a vacuum pump for bleeding brakes if you don't have on already.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome from the Bluegrass State!
I would look at all rubber components like the stabilizer bushings etc. Also look at the ball joints for cracked rubber seal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting...are brake fluid changes a Honda thing or a newer car thing? Valve spring adjustments?
It actually has 147k miles and I'm reading up on it.
I was driving a 1992 Buick Lesabre with 460k miles so this is a big step up and I have a lot to learn...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the dealership that was doing oil changes was using 5w/20...is that normal? Does turning off the VSA improve gas mileage?
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions...thanks!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means over time it absorbs water.
Water in your brake system is not good.

I believe the valve adjustment interval for the engine in your 2008 is 100,000 miles.

I would start by spending an evening reading through your Owners Manual, paying specific attention to the maintenance section, and understanding the different maintenance schedules.
Most people should be using the 'severe' maintenance schedule.

And the Owners Manual will also tell you what oil viscosity is recommended for your CR-V.

:)

·
Everything in Moderation
7,877 Posts
Brake fluid is an important maintenance requirement especially on cars that have ABS. Racers do it several times a year. I've had friends who lost brakes because a metal brake line rusted out FROM THE INSIDE during a panic stop!

Your Buick had hydraulic lifters, but Honda uses mechanical lifters...that's one way that they achieved high horsepower because solid lifters enable high RPMs.

VSA is Stability Control aka Traction Control. It does NOT affect fuel mileage.

Honda specified 5W-20 weight oil in North America (look on the oil cap :rolleyes: ), but in other parts of the world they spec'd 5W-30. I've run those and the newer 0W-20 or 0W-30 weights on my car (same engine as the 2008) with no adverse effects.

While you can use whatever parts you choose, often OEM Honda parts and fluids work best. And, these OEM things are reasonably priced from the online dealers. If you DIY you are saving labor $$$ so why not use parts of known quality?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like you guys already. You reply to posts and don't belittle me for stupid questions ;)
Racoon was polite and correct about reading the owners manual and maintenance book. After I last posted I saw that 5w/20 was recommended in the manual.
I drove it last night from Knoxville to my home in middle TN and it did great. I noticed a weird vibration (like running across small speed bumps) when I let off the gas at 40mph. It did it a couple times but when I accelerated it was fine. I'm probably just paranoid; with the 460K mile Buick I listened and felt ANY changes quickly for preventative measures.
I restore older Oldsmobiles and have never had problems with brake fluid or lines but I've heard newer cars have so many sensors for the brakes and tires it might have to do with keeping the sensors clean...
Anyway, I'm off today and will get title and license plate transfer to make everything official and will be going through the CRV and manual...and this forum!...for more tips and advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I like you guys already. You reply to posts and don't belittle me for stupid questions ;)
Racoon was polite and correct about reading the owners manual and maintenance book. After I last posted I saw that 5w/20 was recommended in the manual.
I drove it last night from Knoxville to my home in middle TN and it did great. I noticed a weird vibration (like running across small speed bumps) when I let off the gas at 40mph. It did it a couple times but when I accelerated it was fine. I'm probably just paranoid; with the 460K mile Buick I listened and felt ANY changes quickly for preventative measures.
I restore older Oldsmobiles and have never had problems with brake fluid or lines but I've heard newer cars have so many sensors for the brakes and tires it might have to do with keeping the sensors clean...
Anyway, I'm off today and will get title and license plate transfer to make everything official and will be going through the CRV and manual...and this forum!...for more tips and advice. Thanks!
There are no stupid questions:rolleyes: I seem to remember one of my teachers saying that one time.
Where in middle Tennessee are you located? I went to TTU back in the early 70's.
I can't imaging a Buick having that many miles on it! Did the Buick have all original drivetrain?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live outside of Shelbyville about 50 miles SE of Nashville. That Buick is original. Those 3800's would last if you took care of them. I found a short to the MAF sensor before Thanksgiving and fixed it so no SES lights. Still runs good. I was going to try to get half million miles but I think my family was worried about me driving it and visiting them (long trips). I work religious non-profit and don't make much so that's why the gave it to me. Totally unexpected. I offered the Buick to my best friend for free. If he doesn't take it I guess I'll sell it super cheap and hope someone buys it that knows how to work on it. I've driven it for 14 years and it's kind of sad to see it go.
Nice 68 Olds! I've got a 68 convertible (Cutlass S) that I'm slowly restoring and my running project is a 74 H/O. I got them years ago when I had more spending money haha!
I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs of the CRV and Honda's and hope to drive this many years and miles!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found out from my sister that nothing has been done to the CRV except oil changes so I have a lot of catching up to do.
I changed the spark plugs yesterday and have to say that was the easiest plug change I've ever done! Hopefully everything else will be that easy. I think next up is valve adjustment. I'm still trying to figure out that vibration that happens when I let off the gas between 40-50 mph only. Strange...

·
Registered
452 Posts
What did the plugs look like after 165,000 miles?

Just some wild ideas from 300 miles away on a cold morning. Do you think the vibration could be from the Constant Velocity Joints (CVJ)? Check to make sure the rubber boot that covers them is intact. On a SOB vehicle, I had a CVJ go bad and it caused a vibration while accelerating. Tire balancing? Drive shaft dampening problems?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought it had 165K before I got it. It actually has 147K. My sister bought it with 79K on it. Plugs were pretty gnarley looking:
crvsparkplug.jpg

I googled '2008 CRV vibration between 40-50 mph' and it brought up a LOT of things. I guess this is kind of normal but could be a number of solutions. I'm going to start with changing the ATF fluid then diff fluid and see if that helps. It's definitely consistent. CVJ is another possibility. Tires are pretty new with an alignment. Oil and tires were the only thing my sister kept on because no one told her about any other maintenance. It never gave her any problems so she just drove it haha:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All right! That shudder was terrible and I finally found the time to take it the shop to look at the front end. Everything was fine so the next step was transmission. I did the drain and fill 3 times. The last drain it looked pretty clean so I stopped there. I'll probably do refreshes to it at every 15K miles, maybe 20K-I haven't decided.
The transmission fluid change didn't fix the shudder. A couple of people I trust recommended 'shudder fix' and said it is common on newer cars. Something about the torque converter...
I bought the shudder fix for about 10.00 and added it to the tranny filler tube the other night and so far NO MORE SHUDDER/VIBRATION!!!
Knock on wood and all that. I'll let you know if it comes back...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Can you post more information about the brand and type of "shudder fix" fluid/paste/powder that you added to the transmission?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, this sucks. Two lane road. I was making a left hand turn, blinker on, a few cars behind me. One of the cars behind me decided to pass everyone and didn't see my blinker. I was making my turn and BAM I was hit.
No one got hurt, he was insured, but I don't know yet what will happen to the CRV. I was just getting used to it too. We'll see what happens....

IMG_0281.jpg IMG_0285.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts