Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why I've never known about this group and it's resources until tonight - but I'm glad to have found it. I have a 2004 CR-V LX and I really do love it. I haven't had any real trouble with it, and I hope this isn't anything major. Tonight, I started my car, and the Charging System Indicator (battery light) stayed on just before I heard a loud shrieking/screaming noise - almost like I was revving the engine, but at a higher pitch. I quickly shut off the engine, waited a few minutes and tried again. It started just fine - this time with no warning light or high pitched whining. I then drove it to my destination then back home. What do you think would cause this?

I should note, we are experiencing sub-zero temps right now, and my car sits outside in the elements. Could the frigid temps be the culprit? We haven't had these temps in 20 years, I'm told, so i don't know if this is normal. My battery is newer - maybe two years. Maintenance every 5000 through the dealership also. So I do take care of my vehicle. Will have 130K maintenance done in the next day or so.

Any suggestions? Thank you :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am no expert, but just a thought: could the serpentine belt ("rubber band" connecting starter, generator, water pump, engine...) have been slipping due to the cold, giving that friction scream? Get the workshop to check if belt is worn or out of tension adjustment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts