Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just stumbled across this site and could not wait to join up and say HI!
I bought a 2.2 CTDI EX in Black in October 07 and we love it. Its my third Honda but first CR-V.
I dont know if anyone else has tried filling their CTDI with Shell V power diesel? I did a few days ago and the fuel consumption seems to have increased already. 100 miles on and on and only 1 bar has gone from the fuel gauge. The computer is saying a 33.3 mpg average from fill up, but is predicting i have over 400 mile range left...
Also, does anyone else get brake squeek when on full lock? For example driving into a space in a car park. Mine does it intermittantly, but it can be loud. It never does it unless I have full or almost full steering lock applied.
Apart from that everthing else on the car is superb. The handling is entertaining, and I cant believe the amount of cargo it has swallowed on occasion. Its not the fastest or most expensive car I have had, but its the best:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hearty Welcome!

Great to have you on board. Please take some photos of your CR-V and post them in your neck of the wood. We like to see CR-V in different areas.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

Wow. We really have a lot of European members. We could almost have a forum just for diesels! I am jealous. I want one of those diesels!

Please post some pictures of that new diesel with some nice, local-to-you scenery in the background! We love pictures!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Unfortunatly I wont have an internet connection for a while as I am moving house, but at least I have the V to help move lots of stuff....
In the meantime, some of my local scenery..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Many Thanks!

Awesome scenery! Thank you for posting the pictures. You are very lucky to live in an area surrounded by such beautiful scenery. I can just imagine canoing down that river. Magnificent!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jimbo - I got my CRV on Friday last week and have done just over 1200 miles in it - its the 2.2 d EX and i am getting 37.2 mpg - I have been doing a mixture of roads m/way, a roads and b and other than the tank of fuel that the car came with I have just been using standard BP fuel.

I have quite a heavy right foot and in my last car (BMW 520d) I was getting less MPG than a colleague who had the same car by about 3 mpg

Maybe the shell premium isnt worth it? - I tried BP premium in my boxster and the BMW and it didnt make any difference for me in MPG terms.

(sorry if I have got this wrong but I am assuming that V power is a preimum fuel)?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What does the European CR-V owner's manual have to say about the diesel and the cetane rating that it requires? Has anyone found on-line European owner's manuals?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi,
Just stumbled across this site and could not wait to join up and say HI!
I bought a 2.2 CTDI EX in Black in October 07 and we love it. Its my third Honda but first CR-V.
I dont know if anyone else has tried filling their CTDI with Shell V power diesel? I did a few days ago and the fuel consumption seems to have increased already. 100 miles on and on and only 1 bar has gone from the fuel gauge. The computer is saying a 33.3 mpg average from fill up, but is predicting i have over 400 mile range left...
Hi!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your CRV.
My previous car was the Accord Tourer 2.2 CTDI. I noticed slightly better mpg in the Accord using BP Ultimate diesel. Unfortunately they don't sell it in my local BP, so I could only try it occasionally. I suspect the CRV would also respond well to premium diesel. Also, like most turbo diesels, the mpg gets better as the miles pile on.

I managed to get 41 UK mpg from a whole tank on the comupter, but typically getting 39 - 40. Only 1,400 miles otc so far, I hope the mpg will improve as the weather gets warmer too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi checked the owners manual and while it gives some specifics for petrol its states on page 334:-

Diesel models:-
Your vehicle is designed to use only Diesel Fuel (also known as Automotive gas oil and Derv).

Your vehicle is not designed to use RME (Rapeseed Methyl Ester). For more information ask your dealer.

The quality of diesel fuel (Derv) can vary in differnent countries, and only clean and good quality fuel should be used.

Looking at the brochure it again says the type for Petol (95 Ron) but just says Diesel under the 2.2 d.

The Brochure also claims the following MPG's but I belive that it is a general rule of thumb to knock 10% off these as these are not done in "normal" conditions - i.e. on a rolling road.

Urban - 34.9 MPG
Extra Urban - 49.6 MPG (That would be fantastic!!!)
Combined - 43.5

So based on the combined and the 10% reduction we should be looking to get just over 39 mpg once everything runs in with the new car

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Brochure also claims the following MPG's but I belive that it is a general rule of thumb to knock 10% off these as these are not done in "normal" conditions - i.e. on a rolling road.

Urban - 34.9 MPG
Extra Urban - 49.6 MPG (That would be fantastic!!!)
Combined - 43.5

So based on the combined and the 10% reduction we should be looking to get just over 39 mpg once everything runs in with the new car
I've got about 39 UK mpg over a tank from day one! I hope to get low 40s after she's got some miles under the belt.

I'm buying more fuel than I am used to, my Accord averaged 45 mpg. Also, the Accord suffered less from high speed driving, e.g. doing 85 mph on the motorway it might drop to 40 mpg. In the CR-V 85 mph kills the mpg to 35 - 37.

I might try a super mpg marathon on a long trip soon: no aircon, high tyre pressures, Ultimate diesel and very careful driving!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep know what you mean on the fill ups - my BMW did about 43 to 44mpg and the tank was a bit bigger - I seemed to be filling up nearly every other day!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's all relative...

my previous car was an RX8 which averaged around 18 to the gallon.

34 mpg from the CR-V suits me just fine :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
34 mpg? I think you are trying to go as fast as your RX8!

Anyone thought about a chip for the diesel?
Either a box like Tunit (165 bhp; 281 lb ft) £479
or remap from Superchips (172 bhp; 320 lb ft) £499

·
Registered
19 Posts
34 mpg? I think you are trying to go as fast as your RX8!

Anyone thought about a chip for the diesel?
Either a box like Tunit (165 bhp; 281 lb ft) £479
or remap from Superchips (172 bhp; 320 lb ft) £499

I have a friend with the superchips version...torque steers more than a R5 GT...but hell of a laugh watching people's rather shocked expressions as you're still side by side to their 'faster' car (for car read BMW, usually).

PS...I find the MPG truely shocking. I have the derv and it's rubbish on economy even though I drive as economically as possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just over 2000 miles on mine now.

Just did an over 600 mile round trip - just over 40MPG on the way up to Leeds but it dropped back a bit to 38.1 for the total run on the way home.

Years ago I remember hearing that if you have the air con on it can drop your MPG is this still true in newer cars?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Years ago I remember hearing that if you have the air con on it can drop your MPG is this still true in newer cars?
Yes, but if you, and it saps a minute amount of power, although if you're on Auto, I would have thought the aircon is only activated when needed (altough I stand to be corrected). Not sure about all cars, but my previous car (another honda) switched off the aircon on WOT i.e. putting your foot down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Everyone
Got some internet access back now ive returned to work after the house move.
The CRV prove invaluble once again as it has moved a massive amount of stuff over the last 2 weeks. I now need to give it a bit of TLC as its filthy inside and out:(
Despite the promising start with shell v power, over a couple of tank fulls it has proved no more economical than the standard shell extra diesel, averaging 34 mpg over mostly urban driving. The Shell diesel is a definate if small improvement over Tesco diesel in my experience.
Im not sure about the aircon being fully auto on Hondas. I tend to manually switch the A/C off if I dont need it anyway. I think the temp is still automatically maintained, but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a friend with the superchips version...torque steers more than a R5 GT...but hell of a laugh watching people's rather shocked expressions as you're still side by side to their 'faster' car (for car read BMW, usually).

PS...I find the MPG truely shocking. I have the derv and it's rubbish on economy even though I drive as economically as possible.
Interesting to see what the next generation idtec engine will be like in the crv. The more powerdul version will be 180bhp at 4000rpm and 320 lb ft at 2000rpm:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Everyone
Got some internet access back now ive returned to work after the house move.
The CRV prove invaluble once again as it has moved a massive amount of stuff over the last 2 weeks. I now need to give it a bit of TLC as its filthy inside and out:(
Despite the promising start with shell v power, over a couple of tank fulls it has proved no more economical than the standard shell extra diesel, averaging 34 mpg over mostly urban driving. The Shell diesel is a definate if small improvement over Tesco diesel in my experience.
Im not sure about the aircon being fully auto on Hondas. I tend to manually switch the A/C off if I dont need it anyway. I think the temp is still automatically maintained, but not 100% sure.
Great to hear your update Jimbo - I have about 4500 miles now - I have been getting 39 on long trips but when I put my foot down a bit this goes down to 36 ( if you know what I mean)

Still seems pretty good for a 4x4

1 - 20 of 23 Posts