Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to say hello to everyone. Just purchased my daughter a second Gen 1.5 CR-V to drive while I rebuild the engine on her first one this fall. Thought I better join now for all the questions I will probably have.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last Saturday I purchased her a 2000 so she could drive it back to school while I rebuild the engine on her 2001. Then a few days ago notice some cooling and suspension issues I want to take care of first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks otto888man both the condenser fan and cooling fan were not running. Had voltage at both so replaced both and were good there now. I was debating replacing the radiator because where the condenser fan was mounted the nut had turned and the plastic at the top looks worn out and weak. I have always been a oem guy but the radiator from Honda is not cheap. Trying to decide if I should go with a aftermarket instead. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
If you like OEM quality with Aftermarket price Go with Denso. I believe that the OEM manufacturer is Denso. Use OEM coolant for best results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I have it drained think I will go ahead and do oem thermostat and new hoses. I bought it from the second owner who had it for 60,000 miles. He did not know when or if the previous owner had changed the timing belt. Any opinion on water pump and timing belt oem vs other brands?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Timing belts be sure you use good Quality name brands like Gates or Aisin if you are going Aftermarket belts. Some people have bad experience with Gates Water Pump. But I did not have any. I always use a Torque Wrench on the water pump bolts with an Inch-Pound size with great success. Be sure you do a cris cross pattern & do it twice just to be sure. Be sure that all mating surfaces are clean. I did not even use silicone on the gasket. Only use silicone to hold the gasket into the channels of the water pump. A few people have tried Aisin Set of Timing belt Service set with Good success. They said that the Aisin Timing belt set the water pump comes with it is from Japan versus the Gates timing belt set water pump from China. Be careful when doing the Thermostat be sure you reconnect back the Ground terminals on to one of the thermostat bolt as this Terminal(s) feeds ground to the ECM or the Ignition System.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am always looking to use non-Chinese parts if possible. I had a issue years ago with a Autozone thermostat on a Dodge Ram. That bad boy is a pain to get to. So after my third one went bad within 4 months I quit caring about that lifetime warranty and started looking on Amazon, ordered 3 different brands but they were the same piece of junk that Autozone had sold me under different brand names. So now I buy oem unless someone else has had good experiences with the aftermarket parts. You should hold up the Honda oem tstat to an Autozone, night and day. Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I totally agree with you about the lifetime warranty parts. Especially if they're a pain to replace. Do you have a repair manual for your V? I agree with you on the Thermostat use only OEM as the Aftermarket might not work properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts