Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2014 CRV and some how I made a mistake while cleaning the instrument cluster ,I had sprayed it with ArmorAll and somehow It leaked onto the inside clear plastic! I am the only owner and need help how to take the dash apart to access the cluster to remove the clear plastic and clean the inside.any kind of diagrams on this would be a Great HELP!
Mike S. San Antonio TX

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well you won't do that again.
Sorry I don't have a video to refer you to, but it not hard to remove the cluster.
1. Tape up the front clear plastic with masking tape to prevent scratching it.
2. Lower the steering wheel. You may have to play with the steering wheel position later to get the cluster out. It's a tight squeeze.
3. There is a plastic bezel around the cluster, this will pull out. Start at the upper left and right sides and with your fingers between the back edge of the bezel, pry the bezel loose from the clips holding it. Work around the bezel releasing all the clip. Go easy because you can break clips.
4. With the bezel removed you will see the screws holding the cluster. Remove the screws. There is also a fabric cover between the steering column and the cluster that needs to be removed via two screws
5. Disconnect the cable from the cluster.
6. The hard part is to work the cluster past the steering wheel but it can be done. This is where the masking tape will prevent scratch the clear plastic.
7. Once the cluster is out you will see how the clear plastic is held on the cluster via a series of plastic tabs. You're on you own here since I have never taken the clear plastic cover off. I removed the cluster on my CRV to hot glue the cover to the cluster to stop it from vibrating and driving me crazy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mike, not to add to your misery but: Once you get this cleaned up, please promise that you will not use Armor All anymore. On anything. AA is bad stuff. In a nutshell: There are protectants that are part of anything plastic that serve to keep UV from breaking it down, as well as making it flexible. Rubber materials have similar issues as well. AA (and other silicone-based treatments) will damage this chemistry and those materials will suffer far shorter lives as a result.

AA contains silicone and other chemicals that temporarily make your dash or whatever all nice and shiny BUT it destroys those elements that protect your plastic stuff. People say that your car dash or whatever will become "addicted" to AA. What they mean is because after you use it for a while you'll need to keep applying it to make up for the chemistry the manufacturer put in and AA stripped out. I'm no chemist, but that is the gist of it.

I lived in Colorado (the blazing UV capital) for many years, with 20-year-old cars kept outdoors. Never used AA and I never had a cracked dash.

Hop on the internet and google "Armor All damage" or similar terms for more info, including much safer surface treatments.

Good luck getting inside the instrument cluster! Just be careful and don't force anything. Obviously the manufacturer wasn't expecting anyone to want inside there after cars leave the factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you won't do that again.
Sorry I don't have a video to refer you to, but it not hard to remove the cluster.
1. Tape up the front clear plastic with masking tape to prevent scratching it.
2. Lower the steering wheel. You may have to play with the steering wheel position later to get the cluster out. It's a tight squeeze.
3. There is a plastic bezel around the cluster, this will pull out. Start at the upper left and right sides and with your fingers between the back edge of the bezel, pry the bezel loose from the clips holding it. Work around the bezel releasing all the clip. Go easy because you can break clips.
4. With the bezel removed you will see the screws holding the cluster. Remove the screws. There is also a fabric cover between the steering column and the cluster that needs to be removed via two screws
5. Disconnect the cable from the cluster.
6. The hard part is to work the cluster past the steering wheel but it can be done. This is where the masking tape will prevent scratch the clear plastic.
7. Once the cluster is out you will see how the clear plastic is held on the cluster via a series of plastic tabs. You're on you own here since I have never taken the clear plastic cover off. I removed the cluster on my CRV to hot glue the cover to the cluster to stop it from vibrating and driving me crazy.
Thanks TRAYLAW I'll try to get it done this weekend any thoughts on the trip reset that goes through the plastic???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts