Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lady and I drove from Richmond, VA to Sanibel Island, FL only to hear a weird, loud engine noise that is not tied to engine speed when we reached Fort Myers. Sounds kind of like grinding marbles in a can. Very loud at idle but hard to hear when driving. The CRV has 138,000 miles on it with pretty decent preventative maintenance. I made a Monday am appointment at Honda of Fort Myers, but would love to get some ideas as to what this might be. HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Sounds like it could be the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt.
At idle, open the hood and see if you can pinpoint it more.
If you are careful of the moving parts, many times you can use a very long screwdriver or a solid stick (like a removable broom stick or mop stick) and place one end on different parts of the engine , etc and hold your ear to the other.
Moving parts can be extremely dangerous.
Be sure and post back on what they found.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the prompt responses. Being a stranger in a strange land, nothing would give me more pleasure than a quick and cheap fix. However, I tend to plan for the worst. If it is the idler tension pulley thing, what would a shop charge to fix that?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I would guess it is the catalytic converter heat shield. It would just be noisy and no need for immediate attention. You can find more info by searching the Internet.
If it is the serpentine idler pulley, the pulley and labor would probably be around the $200 mark. It is an external pulley and around 1 hour labor.
Just guessing.
But, it sure sounds like a heat shield problem. A recording of the noise could be very helpful for some of the people here.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If it is the heat shield, have it removed, you will not notice any difference when it is gone........ Don’t let them tell you any differently it is a waste of money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As another point of reference, the heat shield started rattling on my 2007 around 130k, so the timing is about right. I just put a long hose clamp around each end of the shield and cinched it up. The shield is just a sandwich with rivets on the corners, so if you can get a closer look at it you'd be able to tell immediately. If it's loud at idle I would think you could easily determine if it's under the hood or under the car. That might narrow things a bit.

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After replacing the water pump, idle pulley/belt, the mechanic thinks it's the AC compressor clutch....

THE REST OF THE STORY....
We left Sanibel, and the car was running well. However, by the time we got to Ocala, FL the engine compartment was smoking, noisy, and smelly. Black Death had hit my dear CRV. Facing a bill of over $3000 and being far from home, we decided to take these Florida lemons and make lemonade. After spending nine hours at Honda of Ocala (a great dealership with great personnel), we drove off into the sunset in a new Honda HRV....

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
That mechanic should lose his license, if he/she even has one.
You were taken to the cleaners.
Buffalo4
PS:Reread post #2 Pretty easy and free.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The key here is that the sound 'isn't tied to engine speed'.

I agree, you were taken to the cleaners on this one. Well, at least you know the H2O pump/belt/pulley are good to go for a while now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only paid for the new pulley and belt, and the shop ate the cost of the water pump, a rental car, and assorted other trial and error type fixes including torquing the alternator. The original noise has been reduced significantly by the procedures done...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts