Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, before you say “there’s lots of threads about this, do your research.” I have, lots of it.

So 2000 Honda CR-V with about 155,000 miles that doesn't want to idle. Problem has been going on for about 6 months and I cannot find the culprit. It seems to be worse as the car gets up to running temp. Lately when at stops signs or if I rev it up and then let off the gas, the car will die. At times it surges anywhere from it seems like 5-1000 rpm.

So far I have done the following-
Cleaned IACV
Replaced/gapped plugs
Checked ignition cables (all were
around 10,000 ohms)
New distributor cap and rotor
New fuel filter
Adjusted Fast idle valve
Checked compression (All cylinders were 152-148 psi)
Checked PCV
Checked for vacuum leaks
Oil was changed recently and is at appropriate level
Bled the cooling system.
And did the idle relearn 3 separate times.

I’m starting to get frustrated. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have check engine light, i would either take it to get scanned or do the paper clip jumper trick and count the flashes of the check engine light. im having some issues myself in the idle department. My TPS (throttle position Sensor) is the culprit but cant get proper voltage at wide open throttle. CRnotVtec could be right, the fuel pressure regulators are usually an issue. but from my experience my car wouldnt start if it was the FPR. MAP sensor will also cause idle issues. those typically throw a code. If you have a FITV im assuming you have an automatic. i Have a manual RD1 and cleaned my IACV still had issues. went ahead an replace IACV and helped with my idle. I know ive spoken alot about my car but these are the issues that i can give from experience that may help you troubleshoot your issues.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The correct way to test for damaged valves is a leak down test, not a compression test.

But even if the results of both tests were "good", that does not mean the valves are adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, before you say “there’s lots of threads about this, do your research.” I have, lots of it.

So 2000 Honda CR-V with about 155,000 miles that doesn't want to idle. Problem has been going on for about 6 months and I cannot find the culprit. It seems to be worse as the car gets up to running temp. Lately when at stops signs or if I rev it up and then let off the gas, the car will die. At times it surges anywhere from it seems like 5-1000 rpm.

So far I have done the following-
Cleaned IACV
Replaced/gapped plugs
Checked ignition cables (all were
around 10,000 ohms)
New distributor cap and rotor
New fuel filter
Adjusted Fast idle valve
Checked compression (All cylinders were 152-148 psi)
Checked PCV
Checked for vacuum leaks
Oil was changed recently and is at appropriate level
Bled the cooling system.
And did the idle relearn 3 separate times.

I’m starting to get frustrated. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ever find out the issue? Did you adjust the air on the intake?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts