Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

New to the forum. Have had my CRV for about a year now, and it has been amazing for the past 26,000 miles or so.

The other day my silver button on my shifter somehow de-lodged and is sticking out further than what it was before. It always wiggles a bit. I have looked all around for a DIY showing how to remove the shift knob, and inspected it myself a bit. No luck though.

Trying to avoid a trip to the dealership, and hope that someone can help with how to remove the shifter so I can tighten up that piece.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this issue, too, with my new 2017. Shifter knob button just fell off! Broken. Now steering wheel won't lock so key is stuck in the ignition. LX model. Looks like it's an inexpensive part and easy to replace. Even though it's under warranty, my dealer is a 70 mile trip and wants my car all day! That's why I'm willing to pay my local mechanic to fix it. Really Honda? You let me down!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have this issue, too, with my new 2017. Shifter knob button just fell off! Broken. Now steering wheel won't lock so key is stuck in the ignition. LX model. Looks like it's an inexpensive part and easy to replace. Even though it's under warranty, my dealer is a 70 mile trip and wants my car all day! That's why I'm willing to pay my local mechanic to fix it. Really Honda? You let me down!
Apparently no other vehicle manufacturers have warranty claims? It's a mechanical device, sometimes they fail.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I haven't tried it on the CRV but most modern cars just have it held with friction. You carefully pull straight up on it with both hands and eventually it pops off. Make sure to protect your hands from hitting the radio, etc. though.

As far as your key, go get a small flat-blade screwdriver. Cover it with a rag and carefully pry up the shift lock cover (tiny piece of rectangle on the shift lever base). Then put that screw driver in there and you will be able to move the lever back to park. This procedure should be somewhere in the full manual (not the abbreviated user guide)

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
2,719 Posts
should we feed you no, should we offer you smart advice yes. Fill out your profile. it will help us know what part of thos cyberspace you are from, and then we can kindly say

@robyg lives next to you He can head over and help you pull apart he part properly he has the typing skills for it.

or best advice we can offer, Mess it up and still head to the dealer and dish out big bucks its ***** FREE. unless you are a owner of a used V?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,044 Posts
The shift handle is held on by two screws. There is a plastic cover on the front of the shift handle that covers the screws. Use a small pry tool and work it around the edges of the cover to release it. Best to use a plastic tool so you don't scratch anything.
It easier to remove the cover if you move the shifter to the "L" position.

·
Super Moderator
2,719 Posts
So more or less the leather covers the screws.

So what is this????

So you think its push the inner tab and BINGO?

I know it's more then that the whole mechanism broke?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,044 Posts
Fishy, if your talking about the pushbutton, it just snaps in. I assume there is a release tab if you want to remove a good button. But that was the part of the button that disintegrated on my button and the button wouldn't stay in. I didn't really look to see how to remove the button once it was put back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to our 2017 CRV this week. Went by the dealer to see if it was covered and was told plastic is not covered under warranty. I will be following up with corporate as it is obvious Honda has a problem. A simple internet search turns up lots of broken shift knobs. I ordered the part and should have it next week.

Fairly simple to remove the knob. Pop the upper piece of plastic off and remove two screws. There was a lot of grease in my know and I had to dig out all the parts. I did not break these pieces up. This is how it shattered. This can't be acceptable.

honda.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,165 Posts
This happened to our 2017 CRV this week. Went by the dealer to see if it was covered and was told plastic is not covered under warranty. I will be following up with corporate as it is obvious Honda has a problem. A simple internet search turns up lots of broken shift knobs. I ordered the part and should have it next week.

Fairly simple to remove the knob. Pop the upper piece of plastic off and remove two screws. There was a lot of grease in my know and I had to dig out all the parts. I did not break these pieces up. This is how it shattered. This can't be acceptable.
]
Apparently, Honda has determined the part is defective and has designed a new improved part. Poster robbyg has posted details in this thread: post #75

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/144649-generation-5-crv-known-issues-solutions-8.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently, Honda has determined the part is defective and has designed a new improved part. Poster robbyg has posted details in this thread: post #27?

]/QUOTE]

Thanks.
That's the part number the dealer ordered for me, and said wasn't covered by warranty. I'll pay for it and fix the car, then take it up with corporate. The part is only $15, but it's the principle of the thing. An important part like that should be better made and covered under warranty.

·
Registered
313 Posts
...was told plastic is not covered under warranty.
My response would have been "Show me..." That's not in there. Guaranteed. I would call Honda CS and politely refuse to take no for answer. (Although you may overcome the only thing they're likely to do by fixing it yourself. They are not going to cut you a check for the part you replaced.)

Honda Customer Service: (800) 999-1009

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Please contact Honda Corporate and report the dealer. I was told that Honda had sent the dealers plenty off FREE stock of these buttons along with instructions to change them ASAP if one breaks. My dealer told me if I have any cracks to come to them immediately for a free change and that I would be contacted in early 2019 when the new designed units are released.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 124931

Thanks to kodiakisland for the pictures. I would offer the following:

1) Put your car in accessory mode with the parking brake on, then shift the lever to L (all the way down). This gives easier access to both prying the back plate off and removing the screws. Make sure to put the car back in park before you actually remove the knob.
2) Although I did remove the assembly just like kodiakisland, it turns out I did not need to. My button only broke in two pieces. I could have fished out the inner piece easily, then just put the new one in place.
3) As posted by others previously, I am convinced this is a design flaw. Maybe the plastic is actually too brittle (it is), but the button is just too loose from the start. I guess I didn't really notice it before although you can see it in youtube videos. After installing a brand new button, it is just too loose.

·
Super Moderator
2,719 Posts
IMHO they call this a leather wrap Lol maybe its leather covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ugh! Mine has been loose for a couple of months now and just broke today. Fell right out. I suppose I will call my dealer tomorrow and inquire about a replacement. Super frustrating!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts