Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Good Golly take your in-warranty vehicle to the dealer to be fixed free of charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 2017 CRV touring for a year. I have had my shift button break twice. The first time it broke after having the car about 10 months and then 3 months later it broke again. Dealer covered it under warranty both times. They said I was the only one who has come in with this issue. Hard to believe after seeing all of these posts. I hope the post someone else wrote about Honda making an upgraded replacement is correct. I guess I’ll wait and see in 2019. Hope it doesn’t break a third time. Very disappointed. Never had this issue with Hondas.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have had my 2017 CRV touring for a year. I have had my shift button break twice. The first time it broke after having the car about 10 months and then 3 months later it broke again. Dealer covered it under warranty both times. They said I was the only one who has come in with this issue. Hard to believe after seeing all of these posts. I hope the post someone else wrote about Honda making an upgraded replacement is correct. I guess I’ll wait and see in 2019. Hope it doesn’t break a third time. Very disappointed. Never had this issue with Hondas.
Yes it will happen, I don't think Honda is flying around a rep from Japan with the prototype in hand if it was not going to happen. Your certainly not alone but I am curious on why yours has broken so many times. Do you leave the vehicle parked out in the sun and come back to a very hot cabin? Do you wipe it down with any kind of cleaner etc.?

I know its made of substandard plastic but I am trying to figure out what it is that makes some peoples break faster than others.

Rob

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yes it will happen, I don't think Honda is flying around a rep from Japan with the prototype in hand if it was not going to happen. Your certainly not alone but I am curious on why yours has broken so many times. Do you leave the vehicle parked out in the sun and come back to a very hot cabin? Do you wipe it down with any kind of cleaner etc.?

I know its made of substandard plastic but I am trying to figure out what it is that makes some peoples break faster than others.

Rob
If you snap the knob after you press it in that put a strain on the plastic retainers. You should release the button with your thumb and not let it slip off.....it's spring loaded

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine gear knob also broke last week. I called Honda Dealer they said it was covered. They installed the new one (different type of plastic and I was on my way.
It took only 20 min and got a free donut and office..

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's just broke. 2017 CR-V. She's not happy especially since she's also been having trouble with her seat not adjusting properly which they are unable to fix (and just got back from her 2nd trip to the dealer for that).

I filed a report with the gov't as she was almost unable to get it into park.

IMG_20181028_172513.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
At 16 months and 13,540 miles, the button on the shifter knob on my 2017 Honda CR-V Touring broke and fell out. Fortunately, the spring did not, and I have secured it with a rubber band until it can be repaired. It looks just like the picture in the post from CommonSenseAl on 10/28/2018.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

New to the forum. Have had my CRV for about a year now, and it has been amazing for the past 26,000 miles or so.

The other day my silver button on my shifter somehow de-lodged and is sticking out further than what it was before. It always wiggles a bit. I have looked all around for a DIY showing how to remove the shift knob, and inspected it myself a bit. No luck though.

Trying to avoid a trip to the dealership, and hope that someone can help with how to remove the shifter so I can tighten up that piece.

Thanks in advance.
There's a recall out for it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My button popped out last week and I immediately took the car in (as I didn't want to have problems getting it into or out of gear). Repair was made and I was back on the road within an hour. Sounds like a bunch of you are having some serious dealer problems.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My dealer told me it was a common problem and they keep the part in stock. Apparently your dealer either isn't on top of things or is indifferent to having a customer wait 10 days for a repair.
Part was not in stock at my dealer. They ordered it and had it the next work day. In and out for the repair in about 30 minutes.

I imagine that a lot of dealers do not keep large inventories in stock for any part....unless Honda tells them to for a campaign or recall. They mostly use localized Honda parts depots with overnight delivery on demand. Of course some dealers care more then others about fast delivery from the warehouses... and dealers not in large urban cities probably have a longer lead time. But 10 days is simply too long in my view unless the dealer is located in the middle of the Gobi desert.

I know Honda was working on a replacement design for the button and would do a recall when they had it completed and in production. I'm not sure that I got a new button design at the time mine was replaced as they were still finalizing the design if I recall correctly. So... pending a formal recall for the button.. I treat my new one with care and do not let the button just snap back when I move the shift handle to drive (I ease it back with my thumb on it) .... because when I looked at my broken button it very clearly broke from spring back of the little plastic lever inside the handle that it pushed to release the shift handle.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If the work receipt calls out 54132-TLA-A62ZB for the p/n instead of 54132-TLA-A61ZB, you got the new button.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to double check.. but I seem to recall it was the old part number.

In any event.. I expect on the next service call.. that will pop as a recall that needs to be applied. Meantime.. I treat the button as fragile and do not allow it to free-pop back to the default position.

For anyone out of warranty.. it is easy to replace the button on your own (see youtube) and costs about $12 for the button... but if it's on a formal recall it should still be covered.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
you can always bring the bill of sale in and Honda wil say you voided the warrranty Lol good luck on a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If the work receipt calls out 54132-TLA-A62ZB for the p/n instead of 54132-TLA-A61ZB, you got the new button.
This should info should be added to the TSB thread just so people know what to ask for. Thanks for the info.

Rob

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
So the best times are here SUMMER see how many shifter button start drying out, expanding to crack in the Heat

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had my shifter knob replaces under a TSB last week

·
Registered
84 Posts
This will be similar to what I posted in the thread on known issues...

My shifter lever button became loose yesterday. I used masking tape to keep it from falling out/off, and went to the dealer after work today. The service advisor told me there's a new recall for that part, and in just over an hour I had my car back with a new button installed.

Last time I had it in for service, a few months ago, I asked if they had replacement shift lever buttons, and that service advisor said no. So apparently something changed in the past few months, or I got a more-informed advisor this time.

And this advisor said the masking tape was a good idea, as if the button falls out it can be difficult to change gears.

Hope some find this useful.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts