Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my CRV SE + for 6 months now. Very happy with it except for this one issue which is driving me mad.

Almost from day one there has been a annoying noise when setting the handbrake/parking brake. When I engage the brake lever the car settles ever so slightly (a very faint forward roll of what must be an inch or two) but there is a loud creaking/groaning noise as the car settles on the handbrake. It only comes from the area of the rear passenger side wheel and I can only describe it as if the suspension is settling down. The noise is much greater depending upon the steepness of the hill and it seems worse when the car is facing downhill.

I've been back to the dealers with it 3 times now. They suggest they 'all do it'. My test car drive didn't do it and I've never owned a car that has done this. I'm planning to go back to them again but I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar? Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause and whether its something that should be covered through the warranty. The handbrake works fine but the noise is really spoiling the experience for me and I'm seriously considering getting rid of it which would be a real shame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2012 CRV problem

No replies so far so I would appreciate anyone simply expressing a view on whether this is an issue which 'they all do'. I do not believe the garage but I'm sure you can tell me if its a problem you've ever experienced or heard of?

On top of that any advice on where I stand legally would be welcome? The car is just over 6 months old but I reported this problem within a month of taking ownership and after 3 returns its not been resolved. I do not believe its mechanically unsafe but there is quite clearly something wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove a 2006 CRV from new. I drove a 2009 CRV thereafter. I live on 15% gradient, and the car (S) were parked every day on a sloping driveaway - facing downhill.

So, in 7 years of driving CR-V's, and in a population of 2, I can safely say that I have never experienced this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2007 CRV which I imported from Japan. The Radio system is marked in Japanese and thus giving me problems to operate it. Is it possible to get an English translation?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The car is just over 6 months old but I reported this problem within a month of taking ownership and after 3 returns its not been resolved. I do not believe its mechanically unsafe but there is quite clearly something wrong.
Thanks
The reason you’re hearing that sound at the rear passenger side is probably because that is where the parking brake drum is. My guess is the pads creaking on the lining in the drum when the full weight of the car shifts from 4 discs to one small drum (then ultimately the parking pawl). I certainly don't think it's a major mechanical problem. Being a new car, I wonder if the parking brake pads and drum linings aren't broken in? Ask your dealer if they have an e-brake surface lining "break-in" procedure, I remember seeing that in the 2nd gen service manual. That might be causing the noise...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I'm still on close terms with the dealer who to be fair has been very accomodating. I can give an Update after a bit of experimenting with the brake action. Car stopped in neutral handbrake applied - release very slowly and I can hear what sounds like 2 distinct clunks before the car begins to move. Its almost as if there are 2 seperate disengagements of the braking mechanism (very close together).

Additionally I only hear these noises when facing downhill not uphill and they always seem to come from rear passenger side

Does this ring a bell with anyone regarding what it might be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts