Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Honda CRV 2005 Sport)The alternator and battery has been checked im told they're both fine!? The engine is running fine however the other day there was a fluctuation in the revs that's only happened once... every morning when i start the car the battery light indicates but after a few min's driving it goes off.
Could this be as simple as the loom going into the alternator is either loose or not connecting properly? I'm on a fixed income and taking it to an auto sparky is not within my means currently.
I'd be forever grateful for a little advice that may help end this annoying issue.
Thankyou
Alexander

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,535 Posts
Your alternator is failing. Its worn out and needs revving to actually work. Now is the time to replace it before total failure leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your alternator is failing. Its worn out and needs revving to actually work. Now is the time to replace it before total failure leaves you stranded.
Cheers for that Rocky!
It's appreciated very much..
Thanks again, Alex in Australia 👌

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
You may be able to rebuild the alternator; it's far less expensive than replacing it with another Honda unit.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving to Gen 2 Section.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,240 Posts
I gotcha! If you look on the Table of Contents Page - the main forums page, you can see that the Generations are separated into groups of year models based on body style, as each generation is different. Your issue is a specific vehicle and may or may not be exclusive to the Gen 2, as they all have alternators, but your '05 is a Gen 2. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
(Honda CRV 2005 Sport)The alternator and battery has been checked im told they're both fine!? The engine is running fine however the other day there was a fluctuation in the revs that's only happened once... every morning when i start the car the battery light indicates but after a few min's driving it goes off.
Could this be as simple as the loom going into the alternator is either loose or not connecting properly? I'm on a fixed income and taking it to an auto sparky is not within my means currently.
I'd be forever grateful for a little advice that may help end this annoying issue.
Thankyou
Alexander
Had the same issue. Both batt and alternator checked out fine. I pulled the alternator and had it rebuilt for $60. Fixed the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mate that's promising!! just out of curiosity who exactly does that kind of thing?
E.g, mechanic, auto electrician?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,208 Posts
If you are capable of removing the alternator yourself, look for a local Auto Electrical shop near me (Google maps?).

If you have a shop do the repair, tell them you want your present alternator rebuilt (not totally replaced). The shop surely would know a provider.

The V might be tied up for an additional day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankyou mate!! A big thankyou to all that have contributed info n tips it's a big help to someone in my position.
Thankyou!! from Australia🇦🇺👍

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
+1 on the rebuild. Here in the USA, aftermarket stuff like this is usually junk and you'll replace it in a year or two.

Rebuilding, on the other hand, means the original unit is removed and only the parts that wear are replaced. (In the case of an alternator, that would be the brushes, the bearings and maybe the rectifier.) They clean the copper bars on the commutator too, if they're a good shop.

You get 90% of a new unit for much less than 90% of the new unit's price.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,208 Posts
You can buy a remanufactured alternator on RockAuto for $75.79 plus shipping and tax.
BUT an original DENSO 2104168 reman costs ~$150. Most of my locally-rebuilt & tested alternators come in under $125.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts