Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 CR-V, that has been working fine until recently.

Here's the issue... It starts fine when cold, but after driving for 20 mins or so, and doing errands to the shop for example. The car won't start for at minium half an hour to an hour.
Then it will start again, once it has had time to settle. First turn of the key, the fuel pump switches on. Second turn, it cranks but doesn't ignite.

I've taken it to 4 mechanics, 1 auto electrian.
Collectively they've ruled out...
- Battery ( We thought it was this first of all so got a new one put in)
- Fuel Pump
- Spark plugs (brand new)
- Distubuter (also tried a different second hand one)
- Air flow sensor
- Changed the earth leads
- Relay Switch
- Bad batch of fuel (we've cleaned it out)

Any ideas are welcome, or if anyone else has ever had this problem please let me know!
It's really frustrating, and so far spent a lot of money!:(

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Main relay? When it won't start is it missing spark ? Fuel? I have seen used distributor that is also bad. Check for spark when it's not starting or firing up. Be sure to note what colour of the spark when testing. Let us know.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had a similar problem with another car. Turned out to be a torn diaphragm inside the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It was causing fuel to leak into the vacuum tube and flood the intake - Part#6 in this diagram: http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/view-honda-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2000-cr-v-5-ex-4at&sn=&b=E++0301&dl=207653

- bad fuel pressure regulator:
* Do you smell gas inside the cabin, around the engine bay and/or the tail pipe as you crank the car?
* Disconnect the vacuum tube going to the FPR at the intake end. Do you see or smell gas in the vacuum tube?
* Do a fuel pressure test on the fuel line. You can borrow a kit from Autozone. Does the fuel pressure hold after the engine is turned off?
* Helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oXLUqE4Sf0

- bad PCV valve? Part#2 http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/view-honda-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2000-cr-v-5-ex-4at&sn=&b=E++08&dl=207653
* not 100% sure about this, but hey, checking is easy and free.
* does the valve rattle when you shake it?
* does it seem clogged?

·
Registered
772 Posts

Here's the issue... It starts fine when cold, but after driving for 20 mins or so, and doing errands to the shop for example. The car won't start for at minium half an hour to an hour.
Then it will start again, once it has had time to settle. First turn of the key, the fuel pump switches on. Second turn, it cranks but doesn't ignite.

- Fuel Pump
- Air flow sensor
- Relay Switch

Any ideas are welcome, or if anyone else has ever had this problem please let me know!
Ignition switch recall, check your VIN # to see if it is in RECALL STATUS. JMHO and good luck.
David g.........:cool:

·
Registered
772 Posts

- Fuel Pump
- Air flow sensor
- Relay Switch

Check this site.......
The root cause of several annoying Honda behavior problems may ...
https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/122002_08.pdf
this topic, only in much greater detail. First of all, Honda has recalled the following models in order to replace the ignition switch: 1997-99 Accords, CR-Vs.

Good luck,
David g........:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is missing spark when it's not working but when it's working the spark is good and blue.
There is a fuel smell when I'm cranking it trying to get it to ignite.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To anyone that is still interested or is also experiencing the problem.
It's fixed. It turned out to be the coolant temp sensor...

·
Banned
806 Posts
One of the first vehicles I ever owned would never pass emissions. I would spend the required $200 on emissions related parts every year to get a voucher to get my car licensed. I had done things such as having the carburetor rebuilt, which didn't work. They told me that I needed a new one. Had the computer replaced. Again fixed nothing. I ended up buying the factory repair manual and fixed it on my own. It was that coolant temperature sensor. Cost me $15 and fixed it. Car was always running rich because it wasn't sensing that it was at operating temperature.

·
Registered
548 Posts
To anyone that is still interested or is also experiencing the problem.
It's fixed. It turned out to be the coolant temp sensor...
How did you end up finding or diagnosing that as the problem, just in case other Members reading this thread run across a similar problem.
Good to hear you got the problem solve though. At least you know all the other parts that you replaced are now good anyway. :cool:

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
I get how a coolant temp sensor (aka Cylinder Head Temp sensor) would cause a No Start (had that issue on a Toyota we owned).

But, I would have thought that you still would have gotten spark! Puzzling.

(The CHT sensor tells the ECU how hot the engine is, it does NOT drive the dash gauge)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts