Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 CR-V LX 2WD that had the stock 215-70R16 tires. After 30,000 miles, they needed replacing. I was going to order that size in a General Grabber AT2 because I sometimes drive on a dirt/gravel road for 20 miles each week. When I got to Walmart, I saw a clearance on General STX, which is their "exclusive" brand. They were size 225, but the salesman said I could go up one size without a problem. BUT...they are 225/75R-16, so both the 215 and the 70 is increased to 225 and 75.

I don't notice any rubbing...but is this something that is a no-no? Is this dangerous? I'm not that well-versed on tires, so I want to make sure I'm not messing with safety here.

PLEASE HELP!!

·
Banned
806 Posts
No, your fine as long as there is no rubbing. I went with a taller tire on my truck being that it looked better with a taller tire. You may or may not notice your speedometer of a mile or two per hour, but nothing significant. My wife has a car and those tires and wheels are significantly taller and wider than factory and the speedometer was off about 3 mph. But nothing to worry about. Biggest issue, which you don't seem to have is rubbing. Link below explains those numbers. Hope that helps.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.do

·
Registered
442 Posts
It is not dangerous. With the added weight you are going to see a hit in fuel economy, may not be much and it depends on how much more your newer tires weigh.
As mentioned by DIY guy your speedometer and odometer will be off. If you see any tire size calculator online you will see that the newer tires are bigger in diameter than your stock ones. In this case I think you will be around inch or more in diameter with newer tires which means that your speedometer will be off by around 4-5%. So when your speedometer shows 50 miles you will be actually doing around 53 mph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts