Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I clearly am missing some screws for my heat shield that cause it to dip in the front. I'm not sure which screws I need to buy to replace. Can someone help?

And, looking at the 3rd video here: it looks like I should have the metal item underneath the plastic one, right (unlike how it shows in my 2nd pic below)?

2017 CRV EX, 2WD, turbo

I think it is this one.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L AWD, Built in Ohio.
233 Posts
I may be wrong... I think the vast amount of screws are like 1/4 turn aluminum for that plate. I also believe I was able to order them for a buck online.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
Do check your region against part numbers, I suggest to use a site to look for parts to difficult if asked, problem was you called it a heat shield, its not

Why are you not searching on the honda website for the parts.

the part you refer to is
Lid, Engine Cover (Lower) - Honda (74112-TLA-A01)

the page of parts is located here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do check your region against part numbers, I suggest to use a site to look for parts to difficult if asked, problem was you called it a heat shield, its not

Why are you not searching on the honda website for the parts.

the part you refer to is
Lid, Engine Cover (Lower) - Honda (74112-TLA-A01)
View attachment 150271

the page of parts is located here
did you see the link after the pictures in my post? It has a link to the screw i think I’m looking for. I searched this forum and a parts store quite a bit. Link is to what i think the answer is but wanted to be sure Since shipping is an arm and a leg

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
974 Posts
I have heard that only your Honda dealer has the correct screws and they are cheap to buy. I've replaced a few. If you end up going to your local dealership, buy extras because they are well known for falling out.

I tried O'reilly Auto Parts and they did not have what is needed.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I second checking your local dealer. The fasteners will possibly cost a bit more but no shipping.
If you have none of the fasteners, you will need the 1/4 turn & the shouldered threaded ones.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
did you see the link after the pictures in my post? It has a link to the screw i think I’m looking for. I searched this forum and a parts store quite a bit. Link is to what i think the answer is but wanted to be sure Since shipping is an arm and a leg
Let me go through the 322threads. talked about way back in July 2017

to add fuel to the fire:
the base is aluminum and can be broken off that holds the 1/4 turn. I purchased a number of them

·
Registered
116 Posts
I clearly am missing some screws for my heat shield that cause it to dip in the front. I'm not sure which screws I need to buy to replace. Can someone help?

And, looking at the 3rd video here: it looks like I should have the metal item underneath the plastic one, right (unlike how it shows in my 2nd pic below)?

2017 CRV EX, 2WD, turbo

I think it is this one.
The three screws are Honda # 90105-TBA-A00 and the six quarter turn quick fasteners are Honda # 90674-TY2-A01. Yes, the plastic should be over the aluminum engine cover. Also keep an eye out for the "hook" on the RH side, it helps support the aluminum cover.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had to tap out one of the screws when I did my 1st oil change. The quarter turn screw was $4.72 at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
I simply replaced with 10mm bols and what ever happs with the others i'll correc them down the road

·
Registered
365 Posts
I simply replaced with 10mm bols and what ever happs with the others i'll correc them down the road
I'll only have to replace the one screw that was over torqued at the factory. If your careful you shouldn't have any problems with the fastners staying in place and securing the shield. You have to make sure it is installed properly with the fastners and slotted in the tabs correctly. JIS screwdriver for the screws too.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
get some 10MM bolts and a socket

·
Registered
2020 Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
151 Posts
Went to change my oil this afternoon and found one of the 3 JIS screws holding the panel has been stripped severely. I'm at 11k miles. This car has had one oil change at 5.5k, at the dealer where I purchased it, so the only people who could have done it was the dealer.

I called them to schedule a repair for next week. I want them to fix it on principle even though I'm disinclined to return it to the people who performed shoddy work on my vehicle.

The person on the phone for the service department tried to tell me I was required to have the oil changed at the dealership to maintain my warranty. I told her that this was absolutely untrue. As long as all maintenance is properly documented and entered in the vehicle service records I'm free to have routine service performed anywhere, including in my own driveway. She backed off immediately. I'm sure they're used to people rolling over whenever they make this false statement.

Anyhow, any quick and easy solutions to get the screw out? I was thinking of using a Dremel to cut a slot into it to be able to get a flathead screwdriver in there.

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
406 Posts
Went to change my oil this afternoon and found one of the 3 JIS screws holding the panel has been stripped severely. I'm at 11k miles. This car has had one oil change at 5.5k, at the dealer where I purchased it, so the only people who could have done it was the dealer.

I called them to schedule a repair for next week. I want them to fix it on principle even though I'm disinclined to return it to the people who performed shoddy work on my vehicle.

The person on the phone for the service department tried to tell me I was required to have the oil changed at the dealership to maintain my warranty. I told her that this was absolutely untrue. As long as all maintenance is properly documented and entered in the vehicle service records I'm free to have routine service performed anywhere, including in my own driveway. She backed off immediately.

Anyhow, any quick and easy solutions to get the screw out? I was thinking of using a Dremel to cut a slot into it to be able to get a flathead screwdriver in there.
If you are bringing it back to be repaired properly, why are you asking about any easy ways to get the screw out? Let them deal with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are bringing it back to be repaired properly, why are you asking about any easy ways to get the screw out? Let them deal with it.
Fair question. I'd still rather not have to travel to the dealer if I can help it. They're 2+ hours away, so bringing it to them and waiting for however long it takes them to fix it will take up almost an entire day. I can change the oil myself in about 30 minutes once the screw is off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had to remove an over torqued fastner when I did my first oil change. I used a screw extractor
Thanks for the link, and spot-on, I figured I'd need to get an extractor set. Pretty cheap and not a terrible thing to add to my tools. Replacement JIS screw ordered and on the way (thanks to the member who posted the part #), a trip to hardware store for some bits, and I'll get it fixed properly in short order.

For the ones that aren't stripped, I have to say a proper JIS driver really fits in there securely. It's not hard to imagine how careless the tech must've been with whatever power tool he used to zip it tight, likely with the wrong bit.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
We get what you said, and the cost for you to return can get you a pkg of bolts and the repair done by you. does this mean you are now doing your own Oil (WINK(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts