Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for the link, and spot-on, I figured I'd need to get an extractor set. Pretty cheap and not a terrible thing to add to my tools. Replacement JIS screw ordered and on the way (thanks to the member who posted the part #), a trip to hardware store for some bits, and I'll get it fixed properly in short order.

For the ones that aren't stripped, I have to say a proper JIS driver really fits in there securely. It's not hard to imagine how careless the tech must've been with whatever power tool he used to zip it tight, likely with the wrong bit.
When I did my 1st oil change I couldn't get out the rear most screw to the point it got stripped because it was over torqued from the factory. Your's might have had the same problem that the tech encountered.

I was still able to spin the shield out of the way with the rear most screw in place and complete my oil change. The tech if he stripped should have replaced the screw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We get what you said, and the cost for you to return can get you a pkg of bolts and the repair done by you. does this mean you are now doing your own Oil (WINK(
I had my first oil change at the dealer (2019 EX) in August, 2019. The result was one of the quarter turn fasteners was missing and another was broken. The three screws were severely over-tightened. And he didn't bother to reset the MM. With much difficulty, I got 2 screws removed, used the Dremel on the third one (cut the head off). I bought three 10mm high quality capscrews from a hardware store, then went to the dealer and bought a few quarter turn fasteners and 2 oil filters. Never been back, other than for a fuel pump recall and state inspection. Use a little grease on the 3 capscrews, to keep them from seizing.

·
Registered
2020 Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
151 Posts
Successfully removed the stripped screw for the belly pan with an extractor bit. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
365 Posts
When I did the first oil change one of the rear screws (remost) was overnighter from the factory. I even had a JIS screwdriver but I still stripped it. Used an extractor bit like above. I wonder how many techs encounter over tightend screws and strip the heads or don't bother to replace. The dealer charges like $5 a screw.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts