Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 2017 CRV Touring AWD. Dealer sold me an 8yr/120,000 mile extended warranty for $2,350. Warranty is issued by Fidelity Warranty Services - NOT Honda Care. Salesman told me not all honda dealerships (his for Example) accept Honda Care. He also indicated that Honda Care works like insurance. That is, when you need to make a claim you have to call HondaCare and get approval for the repair and that it is covered and approval for how much they will pay. In contrast, he claimed the Fidelity Services Warranty is honored by all dealerships because it is no hassle. You take car in for the repair and there's no calling to get it approved, dealer just bills Fidelity Warranty.

I find this hard to believe, but as I have 30 days to cancel the contract with a full refund, I went ahead and bought it. I see from other posts in this forum that HondaCare can be purchased from Honda dealers online. Price for 8yr/120K mile HondaCare online goes for around $1200 My dealership didn't even offer HondaCar extended warranties for sale.

Wondering if I should cancel the Fidelity Warranty and just by the HondaCare from dealership online.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?

·
Registered
185 Posts
If things went as you said, your salesman is a lying liar who lies. All Honda dealers must honor HondaCare, but they aren't force to sell it. I'd suggest:

1) Canceling the extended warranty.
2) Buying HondaCare online.
3) Getting your salesman to put his claim in writing.
4) Contacting American Honda as far up as you can and making them aware of his claim.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,139 Posts
X2 get that cash back and buy Hondacare at half the price on line. If you are in Florida, you have to buy from another Florida dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! When I got home and read all the threads it seemed he was out right lying.

He told me in no uncertain terms that his dealership did NOT accept HondaCare. Said dealerships are like franchises, they have to follow some rules that Honda instates, but they don't have to accept HondaCare and this dealership doesn't. He said hardly any dealership accepts HondaCare because the dealership makes no money on the service they perform under the HondaCare contract.

He also seems to have lied when he said that the Fidelity backed warranty doesn't require pre-approval and haggling over price for repair and how the repair is to be done. I just read the contract and it clearly states, you have to get approval before any repair is done.

Another lie he told is that Fidelity Warranty doesn't have any onerous maintenance requirements. Of course if you never change the oil and engine goes bad it wont be covered, but there's no requirement to have the regular maintenance recommended by Honda. Again, I read the contract and that simply is not true. The contract says you must have all recommended maintenance.

I will cancel tomorrow for sure. Contract says I have to cancel by writing to the dealer that sold me the policy. He told me I only need to call to him or anyone at the business office of the dealership. Since he lied about so many other things, I sure hope it's not a giant hassle to get my $2350 back. Im definitely going to call and put it in writing!

At least I got a good deal on the car. Paid $31,211 plus $595 Processing Fee. From reviewing this forum, that seems like a good price for a 2017 AWD Touring CRV. None of the other dealerships I dealt with were willing to match the price.

Thank you for your help. This forum is great.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The joke is on your "lying liar" salesman if the price you got was factoring in profit from that high dollar warranty. The HondaCare will be less than half of that 3rd party warranty and better yet, you won't have to worry about Honda going out of business and leaving you with a worthless warranty. Considering the salesman, I'd make 2 copies of the cancellation and make them sign off on receipt.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would hand deliver the cancellation letter to the dealer and make sure the finance manager gets it. Fidelity Services could turn out like US Fidelis (sp?) that offered auto extended warranties. They paid for nothing, ripped everybody off, the owners lived lavish lifestyles and finally went to prison.
I would steer clear of any extended warranty that was not backed by the auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The joke is on your "lying liar" salesman if the price you got was factoring in profit from that high dollar warranty. The HondaCare will be less than half of that 3rd party warranty and better yet, you won't have to worry about Honda going out of business and leaving you with a worthless warranty. Considering the salesman, I'd make 2 copies of the cancellation and make them sign off on receipt.
Yes, 2 copies with one signed confirming receipt.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My brother got mislead like this and sold an expensive 3rd party warranty by a slick talking salesman. I heard about it later and got him straightened out. He went back to the dealer and did the letter, etc. and got his money back.
Some salesmen will lie like crazy to make a few bucks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its a Honda why don't you get refund for the warranty paid, save your money and buy NO extended warranty...!???

"Consumer Reports has discouraged consumers from purchasing an extended warranty for a number of products, including cars. Why? It’s rare that the premium you pay will equal the amount of a paid repair claim down the line."

AGAIN its a Honda...........

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cancel it right away, get your money back and for 1070 you can get the same warranty from college hill honda. That's exactly what I did. If they added the amount you pay for the warranty then the check would be sent to your bank and if you paid for it they will refund directly to you. You can save half of what you pay for the same 8 years 120K.

I chose to go ahead and get the warranty you never know what could happened after the original warranty expires. With all those electronics and a new power train (no matter how long honda tested it) anything can go wrong and you'll have peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I cancelled with Fidelity, I wrote the cancellation letter to them and they notified the dealership and instructed them on the amount to be refunded. If you have a loan on the car, then the refund is sent to the lender and applied to the loan. Took about three weeks total time from the day I mailed the letter to Fidelity.

BTW, I was very surprised with the politeness from Fidelity. I had failed to include the total mileage of the car in the cancellation letter. They called me to get this info and they were polite and professional. Never did they try to talk me out of cancelling.

I also received a followup letter from Fidelity asking if I had received my refund/credit. They wanted to know if the dealer had not done what they were supposed to do.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Its a Honda why don't you get refund for the warranty paid, save your money and buy NO extended warranty...!???

"Consumer Reports has discouraged consumers from purchasing an extended warranty for a number of products, including cars. Why? It’s rare that the premium you pay will equal the amount of a paid repair claim down the line."

AGAIN its a Honda...........
Honda has a great record of reliability and I have only had one small problem with my 2007 CRV that the warranty would have covered. However, I also own a 2001 Odyssey and the transmissions in those are a nightmare. First transmission was replaced by Honda at 60K-70K miles under factory extended coverage. Transmission went out again at 103,000 miles and we were SOL. A lot of owners are buying the warranties for peace of mind -- especially with this newly redesigned model with extensive electronic systems.

....and the Consumer Reports article did further specify that buyers of factory backed warranties were the most satisfied with the purchase.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I get the piece of mind sure. And i am glad you had it for your Odyssey... I've owned at least 10 honda's, 3 were new. Around 30 cars overall.. have had 0 problems beyond normal wear and tear with Hondas. Among those was a 93 Accord with nearly 200k. .. If you research extended warranties as well you'll find that ......... 1) the MOST satisfied customers were those that had to use the most (common sense) these were typically owners of Dodge, Kia etc. you know what i mean... 2) the least satisfied were the ones that NEARLY NEVER used.... I bet you can guess who they were ... Typically owners of Toyota, Honda, etc.... I think a great thread on this site should be ... The % of people on here that always get Honda Care and that actually used....

I just hate that there are SOME people on here that really push the Honda Care warranty and make MANY newbies believe its an absolute MUST HAVE.. . To each his/her own certainly. Personally i think a waste... DISCLAIMER JUST MY 2 CENTS.....

Our opinions may vary but we were ALL smart enough to buy a nice vehicle!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I get the piece of mind sure. And i am glad you had it for your Odyssey... I've owned at least 10 honda's, 3 were new. Around 30 cars overall.. have had 0 problems beyond normal wear and tear with Hondas. Among those was a 93 Accord with nearly 200k. .. If you research extended warranties as well you'll find that ......... 1) the MOST satisfied customers were those that had to use the most (common sense) these were typically owners of Dodge, Kia etc. you know what i mean... 2) the least satisfied were the ones that NEARLY NEVER used.... I bet you can guess who they were ... Typically owners of Toyota, Honda, etc.... I think a great thread on this site should be ... The % of people on here that always get Honda Care and that actually used....

I just hate that there are SOME people on here that really push the Honda Care warranty and make MANY newbies believe its an absolute MUST HAVE.. . To each his/her own certainly. Personally i think a waste... DISCLAIMER JUST MY 2 CENTS.....

I agree with you. In 2004 I purchased HondaCare for $1000 on my CR-V knowing it was going to be a high mileage car. I put 100K on it in the first 4 years I owned it. The only repair that HondaCare paid for was a failed strut at 65,000 miles. I didn't get my money's worth on that one and I still have the car with 291K on it. That being said, today's cars have a lot more things that can go wrong than the older simpler cars. I have not yet purchased HondaCare for my '17 and I'm at 4 months and only 500 miles. I am contemplating purchasing it through College Hills before the period is up though, mainly to extend the years of coverage because this car will never be a high mileage vehicle.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Oh no, I didn't have an extended warranty on the 2001 Odyssey and even after that bad experience, I didn't purchase it for the 2007 CRV. I've never purchased an extended warranty of any kind until the 2017 CRV and then it was kind of a toss-up. I'll admit that I'm a little intimidated by the new engine, electronics, etc. I just weighed all the positives and negatives and I decided that I would rather live with buying a warranty that wasn't necessary than with the regret that might come with expensive repairs down the road. I will get a little financial benefit from the family plan emergency road service by canceling that coverage on my auto insurance.

Had the warranty been in the $2000 range? Never would have considered it. Wouldn't have considered it at all with another Honda that didn't have all the gizmos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got taken to the cleaners on the warranty. I have added it to my payments. I had no idea about Honda Care. The only reason I got the warranty is because I never had anything with so much computer bells and whistles before. I live in AZ and temps are the hottest anywhere. I don't want to fry my new car. I can cancel? I have had it less than a week.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX-L FWD
362 Posts
I got taken to the cleaners on the warranty. I have added it to my payments. I had no idea about Honda Care. The only reason I got the warranty is because I never had anything with so much computer bells and whistles before. I live in AZ and temps are the hottest anywhere. I don't want to fry my new car. I can cancel? I have had it less than a week.
Yes, you should have either 30 or 60 days to do so.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Translation: He lied because he gets a much larger commission from the third party company, than Honda's program, due to it being marked up so much. I agree with everyone's advice to get out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased Honda Care from the dealer and paid $2,040 for 6 year 100,000 mile $100 deductible. After I purchased the warranty, I went on-line and called Lynn Arney at College Hills Honda and got the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty with $0 deductible for $750. I called Honda Care in California and they requested I cancel through the dealership where I purchased my Honda. My contract with Honda Care was cancelled by Honda Care within 1 week. You have 60 days to cancel or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. Do yourself a favor and call Lynn at 330 345 5200 ext 205. She is very pleasant to talk to and I had my new contract in a few days. I don't understand why some dealerships charge more money than others for the same Honda Care coverage, but they do. I have both contracts in my hands right now and they are IDENTICAL.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.