Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow CR-V owners,

I purchased a CR-V about two months ago, got a great deal and it is a 2002 with 97k miles!

Two days later, of course the check engine light comes on. Since then I went through 4 bad power steering pumps until I finally got one that worked. I also replaced the belt tensioner as well as the water pump.

After having the Power Steering pump replaced by a mechanic, the car still makes the same whirring noise! It is louder during idle or when the A/C is not engaged. I was told that when the A/C is engaged it tightens the belt and makes less noise. The mechanic said that the sound will not go away unless I was to put a Honda specific power steering pump in the car.

I have a friend who works on hondas, he says that there could be an O-Ring that is in the hose causing the noise.

Can anyone please assist me in solving this mystery?!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
Since the noise is most apparent when the A/C is NOT engaged, I agree with downloader...A/C compressor.

Actually it specifically sounds like the clutch on the compressor. If the clutch wears (and the clutch becomes 'crooked') the plates will rub when the A/C is not engaged. You may be able to find a shop that will JUST replace or re-shim the clutch, but the cost will be close to a complete compressor replacement.

BTW, the point about using Honda PS fluid is correct, this is a unique petroleum blend (as evidenced by aftermarket vendors producing special PS variations JUST FOR HONDAS). You could buy two bottles and, using a turkey baster, keep changing out the fluid in the PS reservoir (weekly) until you put both bottles in.

+++++++++++++++++

Has the CEL gone away? Do you remember the code???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts