Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Just purchased a 2001 automatic CRV for my daughter. When working on the o2 sensor replacement, I noticed that there are two bars near the back axle that are rusted and broken (one on each side that seem identical). Was hoping someone could help me identify what they are and let me know what type of effort might be required to replace. Don't think they are critical to the operation of the vehicle as we have been driving it with no issues, but if they would stabilize the ride and make it smoother, would cerrtainly want to replace.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Grey Vehicle door

I'm fairly handy and can do some stuff myself other than welding. For example, I've done the following on my previous CRV.

2000 Honda CRV
Replaced the drive shaft
Replaced the entire exhaust from the engine back (no welding)
O2 sensor replacements
Window regulator and motor replacements
Repaired driver side wires for window control (soldering)
Installed OEM roof rack
Brake pad and rotor replacement (disk brakes only)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much to both of you for the information! What should I expect after replacing? Will the ride be smoother?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zero difference whatsoever.
ok thanks. I guess it will depend on if I just want to spend $100-150 just to replace. If there really won't be a difference I may just remove in the meantime to get them off before any additional rust and then replace once I have some extra money floating around.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
340 Posts
ok thanks. I guess it will depend on if I just want to spend $100-150 just to replace. If there really won't be a difference I may just remove in the meantime to get them off before any additional rust and then replace once I have some extra money floating around.

Thanks again!
I'm sure the engineers put it there for a reason. It is bracing te rear end of the car. I know plenty of people run without them, but I'd rather have it there if it's supposed to be. It's just not something that will make you feel any difference.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
857 Posts
Being that this generation is practically a civic platform I'd follow JTs advice and have them installed. Specially since other parts may have weakened by corrosion.
It's cheap insurance IYAM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
New to the forum. Just purchased a 2001 automatic CRV for my daughter. When working on the o2 sensor replacement, I noticed that there are two bars near the back axle that are rusted and broken (one on each side that seem identical). Was hoping someone could help me identify what they are and let me know what type of effort might be required to replace. Don't think they are critical to the operation of the vehicle as we have been driving it with no issues, but if they would stabilize the ride and make it smoother, would cerrtainly want to replace.

View attachment 152926

I'm fairly handy and can do some stuff myself other than welding. For example, I've done the following on my previous CRV.

2000 Honda CRV
Replaced the drive shaft
Replaced the entire exhaust from the engine back (no welding)
O2 sensor replacements
Window regulator and motor replacements
Repaired driver side wires for window control (soldering)
Installed OEM roof rack
Brake pad and rotor replacement (disk brakes only)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Spindle that rust is crazy man.... Here in Texas I've never really seen rust like that (only surface rust) on my vehicles, even on my C1500 truck from 84.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts