Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I recently picked up this '99 CRV 5MT. I drained and filled the rear diff with The Honda II fluid but it was making the same noise before just as it still does. We had some snow a month back so I decided to make a video, where I badger about the noise lol. I was basically slipping the clutch to make the car spin and right when the 4wd seems to kick in or the front wheels spin, that noise happens. It is super loud and I can replicate it a tiny bit if I slip the clutch in 1st or second when it's raining. Any help to what this is will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Does it only make the noise when the rear end engages? Some people recommend going to an empty parking lot and doing circles and figure eights after changing the fluid to work the clutches and then changing the fluid again.

Could it be the brakes or bearings? Sometimes rust builds up around the lip on the drums on mine and makes noises. You could also try slow rolling while manipulating the parking brake to see if that has an effect on the noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried all those things and nothing. NO weird noises when turning in a parking lot just when I "think" the rear end is engaging.

The bigger issue however is how bad the car is shaking with a set of aftermarket axles in it. I had to hit the axles real hard with a big hammer on the outermost shaft to free it from the hub. Any chance i could have damaged something inside the trans causing it to shake under load? Or are the aftermarket junk axles the likely culprit>?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Tried all those things and nothing. NO weird noises when turning in a parking lot just when I "think" the rear end is engaging.

The bigger issue however is how bad the car is shaking with a set of aftermarket axles in it. I had to hit the axles real hard with a big hammer on the outermost shaft to free it from the hub. Any chance i could have damaged something inside the trans causing it to shake under load? Or are the aftermarket junk axles the likely culprit>?
You might have 2 separate problem. Is the Aftermarket brand new or a Remanufactured ? Did you had the vibes before replacing the Front Axle? If you can take out or at least where the U Joint connects to the Rear Diff & the Tranny goes to see if there is any binding on the u joints. Before doing this be sure you mark where the flange goes to the tranny & rear diff use a white out or something that will make you remember where it came from as not to throw the balance out. It could also be a binding centre bearing that is worn out. Let us know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone I recently picked up this '99 CRV 5MT. I drained and filled the rear diff with The Honda II fluid but it was making the same noise before just as it still does. We had some snow a month back so I decided to make a video, where I badger about the noise lol. I was basically slipping the clutch to make the car spin and right when the 4wd seems to kick in or the front wheels spin, that noise happens. It is super loud and I can replicate it a tiny bit if I slip the clutch in 1st or second when it's raining. Any help to what this is will be appreciated.

Did you ever figure out what this was? I am having the exact same issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.