Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background
I'm in the market for a new car and recently took an AWD EX-L with navigation out for a test drive. As a lifelong sedan owner I was really surprised by how much I liked the CR-V. Originally I was only looking at the EX since the MSRP is $2,500 less than the EX, but since the test drive I'm not so sure. I've only had my current vehicle for 5 years, and I really want to switch to something I can keep for roughly the next 10 years. I was a previous Honda owner, and I quickly regretted my decision when I switched.

Here's what I'm considering:
  • 2017 2WD CR-V EX; Black/Black Cloth; MSRP $26,795
  • 2017 AWD CR-V EX-L w/ Navigation; Black/Black Leather; MSRP $31,595 Dealer claims I can get a good price since it's "In Stock"
EX-L Pros
  • More stuff (leather interior, power tailgate, power seating, auto-dimming rearview mirror, better audio).
  • Navigation (if I go with what the dealer has on the lot).
  • AWD (if I go with what the dealer has on the lot).
EX-L Cons
  • Expensive upgrade with a $4,800 increase in the MSRP.
  • I don't have strong feelings for additional features, except maybe for the audio.
  • Navigation is redundant if I use Android Auto.
  • I live in Michigan where we get enough snow for me to seriously consider AWD, but I plan on getting a set of winter wheels anyway which makes AWD much less of a necessity.
Lingering Questions...
  • Is the driving experience noticeably different between the two trims?
  • Are the leather seats more comfortable than the cloth seats?
  • Does the built-in navigation work significantly better than Google Maps?
  • Do the two extra speakers (tweeters in the back seat?) improve the audio experience noticeably? This one could be important since I spend a lot of time driving.
  • Should I just go test drive an EX at a different dealership about 40 minutes south of me? ;)
Final Thoughts
I went into the car buying process really wanting to like the CR-V and the test didn't disappoint. Unfortunately I don't know if the step up to the EX-L is really worth it. I know I can negotiate some of the price difference away, but even on an EX-L without AWD and navigation there is still a $2,500 difference in the MSRP. I'm not sure I can really justify the price difference. Is there anything I'm not considering in this decision? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and kind regards.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts