Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am changing my Rotors + Pads currently on the CRV and ran into a little snag which I cant figure out.

The things I have done are:
  1. Changed all the rotors - maybe something happened because I had left the parking brake on when trying to get the rear rotors off?
  2. Front Right wouldn't come off so took some rust penetrant and lots of hammering. Back ones some hammering and the realized maybe the parking brake was the issue and it popped off after that.
  3. Lubed all the slide pins
  4. Antiseize on the hubs so the rotors don't get stuck next time.
For some reason the rotor will make a scraping sound and it's not happening on the other side. (The video shows there is some scraping, but I think thats because i just put the pads in and haven't adjusted them.

I have uploaded a video for anyone to watch and give me recommendations:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The parking brake shoes are slightly dragging in first side shown in your video. The brake shoes may not be retracted fully or maybe there is a machining variance with the new rotors.
If the shoes are retracted fully and the rub doesn't get worse when the rotor is tightened against the the hub flange, it will quickly clearance itself in the first few miles of driving.

There is no adjustment of the brake pads per say, seat the pistons fully into the caliper prior to installing the new brake pads. Once all is reassembled and prior to driving, slowly stroke the brake pedal 3-4 times to set the pads and firm up the pedal. Initially it will feel as if there is a problem.

Be sure to fully clean the new rotors prior to installing on the hub and reinstalling the calipers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. If its the parking brake shoes, should i align them like in this video and confirm they aren't causing the issue:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the front adjustment. Have you ever done drum brakes before ? Double check installation for any issues. Shoes seated evenly by applying parking brake?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never done Drum brakes before. I've done discs a couple times and sometimes had weird rubbing sound similar to this on other cars but they never went away (just slightly annoying).
Anyhow i did adjust the back drum and still it didn't go away (but got a little better) and decided to put everything together and break the rotors in. I didn't hear any scraping sounds from the rotors. i will keep driving a little more and see how it sounds. Brake pedal was a little soft since i didn't bleed the brakes (I did bleed them 1 year ago so i didn't want to waste the fluid or cause the rotors were hot).

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If one shoe is slightly out of alignment it will rub the drum. That is why I suggested to check installation and with drum on activate the parking brake several times to see it everything lines up better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts