Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons 2005 honda crv started bucking at higher speeds. I scanned it and got the 2647 code. Changed oil and made sure it was on full mark. Per 2647 code i went ahead and changed the entire Variable timing solenoid...test drove it and still the same problem with same error code coming up along with VSA light which was also on before.. any help during these corona times would be much appreciated hope everyone is staying healthy..

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
My sons 2005 honda crv started bucking at higher speeds. I scanned it and got the 2647 code. Changed oil and made sure it was on full mark. Per 2647 code i went ahead and changed the entire Variable timing solenoid...test drove it and still the same problem with same error code coming up along with VSA light which was also on before.. any help during these corona times would be much appreciated hope everyone is staying healthy..
where is the solenoid you replaced located on the engine

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving to Gen 2 Section. This Section is for website and forum issues only, not vehicle issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could it maybe be the electrical harness that plugs into all of the connections or is there another solenoid that this code would associate with..thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
it could be a wire ,it will have to be diagnosed, with that code the oil pressure sensor on the solenoid is not seeing oil pressure when the valve opens,on my wifes 2006 I was chasing this same problem for 2 months then she said the engine sounds bad ,what I found is the timing chain tensioner bolts came loose and was bleeding oil pressure off ,the chain was done 15K ago before we bought it,at a Honda dealer by Chicago is what CARFAX shows .the way the valve works is the pressure switch open circuits when it has oil pressure to tell the computer the valve opened so unplugging just the pressure switch will make it start bucking at lower rpm is what I found ,it is also possible the aftermarket part is defective,here is what the data looks like on that valve in the screenshot below.on the data when the v tec pressure switch is on the valve is off so they should always read different on off when driving , above 3500 rpm they should swap on off readings instantly,if you run some 3 ft wires to a bulb and tape the bulb to the windshield and positive to B+ and the ground spliced into the blue/black wire on the vtec oil pressure switch and drive it it should light the bulb under 3500 rpm and shut off above,I haven't done it this way but it should work for diagnosing the VTEC pressure switch without a scanner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
here's some more I was reading back when I had the problem,copy paste ,looks like they made a mistake where it says intake vales it should say exhaust,the intake is duty cycled through the oil control solenoid to the cam actuator phaser
for advance between 0 and 50 degrees + intake timing,the exhaust side is different cam lobes (on off) no variable like the intake side

1. Locate the Variable Timing Electronic Control (VTEC) pressure switch on the end of the cylinder head. Honda has had problems with the VTEC oil pressure switch, there is an updated part number for the vehicle (37250-PNE-G01). On this vehicle the VTEC oil pressure switch can fail at any RPM.

2. The VTEC oil switch is normally closed, and grounds the reference voltage from the Engine Control Module (ECM) on the Blue/Black (BLU/BLK) wire. If the code sets at idle - 2500 RPM - and the Brown/Yellow wire has a good ground, then suspect a faulty VTEC oil pressure switch.

3. At approximately 2500-4000 RPM and when driving the vehicle, the VTEC system should turn on. To turn on the system, the ECM energizes the VTEC Solenoid valve and it allows oil pressure into the intake valve rocker arms, the oil pressure opens the VTEC oil pressure switch so the Engine Control Module (ECM) can verify that the VTEC did turn on correctly.

4. The code will set at idle to 2500 RPM if the reference voltage is not grounded. The code will set above 2500-4000 RPM if the VTEC oil switch does not open.

5. If the code sets at 2500-4000 RPM or higher, the problem can be a low oil level or pressure, or a malfunction in the VTEC assembly.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts