Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your oil level is on the metal above the orange tip. That's where my oil usually is as well as most pictures I have seen posted online. Your oil is either diluted or was overfilled by the dealer. The next time you change your oil, measure the oil level at the dealer so you can better track any dilution. If they have overfilled it, make sure they remove the excess before you leave.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Boy do I hate that dipstick. But I see a piece on the top of the orange that isn't covered. So id say the level is above the top dot but below the very top of the orange is it not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in North Alabama, so not in a "cold region". It's a 2018 EX-L with 6600 miles on it, purchased in late May 2018. Admittedly, I didn't check the oil level for a few months after I bought it because I really didn't think the oil dilution was an issue for me. When I did finally check it in October, it definitely smelled like gas to me but did not appear to be overfilled. Took it to local dealer, they acted like they hadn't heard about oil dilution but agreed to change the oil for free. I've checked the dipstick multiple times since then, it always has the gas smell but the level was within the marks. Checked it again yesterday and now it does seem to be above the max level.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
Use a paper towel lay the dip on it as you see the wetness that is the level

·
Registered
9 Posts
BobF13
There are many youtube vids showing proper oil level check methods. Never hurts to go back to basics. Make sure you clean the dipstick off with rag before re-inserting dipstick. Then re-pull dipstick and check the oil level. If the oil is newish you may need to rotate the dipstick in order to catch the light reflecting off the liquid in order to be able to see the level. My oil level is on the orange plastic part at the end of the dipstick and I wipe it off with an old toothbrush before re-inserting dipstick. Please don't take offense if you already know this. I suspect there are lots of us who did not know.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Is the dip stick in the 2.4L motor longer than the 1.5L dip stick?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts