Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2015 CRV EXL with 12K miles on it. Not long after purchase, a rattling/grinding noise from the back began. We are at wits end as to where it's coming from or how to fix it! We took it to the dealer, but they found nothing after putting it on the lift and inspecting it. The service guy adjusted the tonneau cover into the "locked" position, and the noise stopped - for a few weeks. It's back, even though we've removed the tonneau cover. To me it sounds like it's coming from somewhere on the exterior, maybe around the wheels or axel area. It's only at low speeds, such as driving through parking lots, etc, but it's SO annoying! I find it very hard to believe there's nothing wrong. I really hate the thought of trading it in because it costs so much money to do so. And other than that noise, I love this car! It gets great gas mileage, and it's a joy to drive. We also got lucky and have a 2015 that doesn't have a serious vibration issue - only occasionally at stop lights, but not often. If I trade in, I would only want another CRV, but I'm not sure about the 2016 and the vibration issue?? Anyone have any guess as to what the rattle/grinding noise could be??? My husband is a car expert and even he is stumped. Please help!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Interesting, esp. on a new vehicle. Does it occur driving straight ahead or when turning one direction or another. I would take it to a large parking lot with a couple friends and drive by them to see if you can further isolate it. I wouldn't do anything radical for now such as trading it nor would I tell said dealer of that option !! It becomes a disincentive to them finding it IMO !!! Craig

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a weird sound from my rear seat locks. I swore it was the tailgate. A little white grease spray and sanity was restored. Good luck in finding the sound.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,637 Posts
Has a dealer tech ever ridden with you to observe the noise?

It almost sounds to me like the common rear differential moan...and replacing the Dual Pump Fluid in the differential will solve that.

I admit it's a bit early to have the diff fluid fail, but some vehicles could exhibit this problem due to moisture.
(EX: Some Gen1 Vs got the noise within a few thousand miles of delivery...the story there was that these Japanese vehicles reacted to the sea air. 'Course most USA CR-Vs are now assembled in North America.)

Has your car ever been run through deep water, even for a little bit?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Car noises can be difficult to find and then stop. Try this: Empty the entire vehicle of everything. All of the cubbie holes, glove box, storage areas, anything in the spare tire area that isn't 'factory'. Everything! Then take it for a drive in the same way that it was producing the noise and see if it is still there. Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's mostly when turning. I haven't mentioned it to the dealer.
It's a fairly new car with warrantee (I presume). Take it back to the dealer and drive with the technician/service adviser and re-create the problem. That way they can correctly document and diagnose it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We ended up trading in for a 2016 Touring, which we love......EXCEPT THAT THE SAME NOISE IS RETURNING ON THIS ONE! (Never told the dealership WHY we were trading it in other than that we wanted to upgrade to a Touring, which was true.) Just like the 2015, it began around 3,000 miles. At this time, it's intermittent, just like the last one. The last one gradually became worse, until it was rattling most of the time. Again, it's the left rear quadrant of the car at low speeds. I'm definitely going to empty the car of EVERYTHING (not much in there now), and see if we can determine where it's coming from. I can try to "video" the sound, but not sure how good the sound will come through.

To answer some of the above questions, the tech rode with us last time on the 2015 and he heard the noise immediately. They put it up on the rack, couldn't find anything, and the noise disappeared for about 3 weeks. At that point, we traded it in. I wanted to take it back in, but my husband was so livid that he said go ahead and find a Touring. We'll check the rear seat locks as mentioned above, too. The car had never been run through any deep water. It's not necessarily just when we've started driving. We can be driving for a while, pull through a parking lot and it starts again - low speeds.

If it continues to get worse, we are definitely going to press the dealership to find the problem. We will NOT be trading in....at least not for another Honda. Other than this noise, we LOVE this car. Smooth ride, plenty of room for us and great gas mileage. If I knew it was a noise that's supposed to be there (which I doubt) AND that it wouldn't get progressively worse, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Please let us know what develops as I am interested in hearing the answer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2015 EX and I've also developed a noise from the left rear corner. Happens usually at 20-40 km/h (10-25 mph) when going over bumps or if the suspension moves on an uneven road. It ranges from a clicking noise to full out groaning. I'll be at the dealer next month so hopefully I can get it looked at. If I'm out tomorrow, maybe I'll see if I can slide my phone into the cargo net and record the sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts