Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I own a 2017 Honda CRV and have loved my car! Until. . .

I'm having issues that Honda says they can't fix. Here's the backstory.

Five weeks ago my 4th cylinder misfired while I was making a left hand turn onto a busy road. Powered down to 10 miles an hour. I pulled over and restarted the engine. A check engine light turned on but otherwise the car drove fine. I took it to O'Reilly's who ran the diagnostics. The misfire occurred two more times. I did some research and found Service Bulletin 19-037. Warranty extension for 2017-2018 CR-V. Six year - unlimited mileage for the issue which apparently is wide spread.

Four weeks ago I mentioned the misfire-whirring noise-extended warranty and sure enough that was the issue. Unfortunately they had difficulty locating parts. The days went by. . .

Three weeks ago my car was still sitting in their lot. No parts.

Two weeks ago - my car is fixed and I drove it home. Honda covered the entire repair! Yay!

Four days later my car misfired again (as I was making that same left hand turn) so I took it back. Unfortunately the check engine did not come on and the computer recorded no codes. They are trying to replicate the issue.

The past ten days my car has been at the dealers as they've tried unsuccessfully to replicate the misfire. This situation is not working for me! I understand the dilemma, but I'm just wondering if any of the mechanics would feel confident having their partner or kids drive my car not knowing if it was safe. Because that's what they're asking me to do. "Take the car home and let us know if it happens again." "If it stalls again and the computer fails to record the incident, again, will that change anything?" Crickets.

What should I do? Thanks!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts

Five weeks ago my 4th cylinder misfired while I was making a left hand turn onto a busy road. Powered down to 10 miles an hour. I pulled over and restarted the engine. A check engine light turned on but otherwise the car drove fine. I took it to O'Reilly's who ran the diagnostics. The misfire occurred two more times. I did some research and found Service Bulletin 19-037. Warranty extension for 2017-2018 CR-V. Six year - unlimited mileage for the issue which apparently is wide spread.

Four weeks ago I mentioned the misfire-whirring noise-extended warranty and sure enough that was the issue. Unfortunately they had difficulty locating parts. The days went by. . .

Two weeks ago - my car is fixed and I drove it home. Honda covered the entire repair! Yay!

Four days later my car misfired again (as I was making that same left hand turn) so I took it back. Unfortunately the check engine did not come on and the computer recorded no codes. They are trying to replicate the issue.

The past ten days my car has been at the dealers as they've tried unsuccessfully to replicate the misfire. This situation is not working for me! I understand the dilemma, but I'm just wondering if any of the mechanics would feel confident having their partner or kids drive my car not knowing if it was safe. Because that's what they're asking me to do. "Take the car home and let us know if it happens again." "If it stalls again and the computer fails to record the incident, again, will that change anything?" Crickets.

Have a question, since you have owned the vehicle have you had a severe oil dilution problem. The reason I ask is that service bulletin 19-037 was for a misfire condition caused by extreme oil dilution which also caused excessive cam shaft wear due to poor lubrication from the diluted oil.
There are dozens things that will cause a misfire, severe oil dilution is just one of them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,576 Posts

What makes you think your vehicle misfired in cylinder 4 again, if there were absolutely no error codes recorded or check lights on the instrument panel?

I ask because misfires detected by the vehicle do get recorded, and there are very specific codes indicative of probable issues with fuel injectors.

Also, did you experience loss of power again like the last time? If not.. then you are attributing whatever transpired as a "post repair repeat event".

Loss of power while driving indicates that the vehicle dropped into limp mode for some reason, and I have never heard of a gen5 going into limp mode and not throw any codes or alert lights. If anything, gen5 CRVs love to over stimulate the driver with alert lights on the instrument panel, even for very minor things. There are a number of things that can malfunction and throw the engine into limp mode (limp mode is to protect the engine by the way).

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
Take it home and drive it until it happens again. That’s the only way you’ll get the solution you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have a question, since you have owned the vehicle have you had a severe oil dilution problem. The reason I ask is that service bulletin 19-037 was for a misfire condition caused by extreme oil dilution which also caused excessive cam shaft wear due to poor lubrication from the diluted oil.
There are dozens things that will cause a misfire, severe oil dilution is just one of them.
I have not had a an extreme oil dilution problem (which I believe would be PO172). I qualified for the warranty service based on PO304 - No. 4 cylinder misfire detected AND a "whirling noise coming from the engine compartment"

What makes you think your vehicle misfired in cylinder 4 again, if there were absolutely no error codes recorded or check lights on the instrument panel?

I ask because misfires detected by the vehicle do get recorded, and there are very specific codes indicative of probable issues with fuel injectors.

Also, did you experience loss of power again like the last time? If not.. then you are attributing whatever transpired as a "post repair repeat event".

Loss of power while driving indicates that the vehicle dropped into limp mode for some reason, and I have never heard of a gen5 going into limp mode and not throw any codes or alert lights. If anything, gen5 CRVs love to over stimulate the driver with alert lights on the instrument panel, even for very minor things. There are a number of things that can malfunction and throw the engine into limp mode (limp mode is to protect the engine by the way).
It is perplexing to both me and the Honda mechanics that the computer did not record the "limp mode" event. The last time, before the repair, my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. It indicated that EVERYTHING was wrong including tire pressure! This time, the check engine light blinked as I slowed down and came to a stop. Keep in mind this is the same intersection where the first event occurred, same blinking light, so I prepared myself. I knew what was going to happen next. As I made the left hand turn into the left hand turn lane the car went into "limp mode" and then I drove into the right lane and immediately onto the shoulder in a safe location. The light was still blinking. From before, I knew if i turned off the engine, let it sit for a moment, and then restarted the engine, the "limp-mode" would turn off and the car would be drivable. The difference this time was that the check engine light didn't stay on, nothing flashed, no dashboard warnings. And unfortunately it did not record the event.

Perhaps this one coincidentally occurred at the same spot with the very same events but was caused by something else. That is why the service department doesn't feel they can do anything until they recreate it or it happens again to me and this time records a code.

Take it home and drive it until it happens again. That’s the only way you’ll get the solution you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is what the service department wants me to do since they've had the car a week and have not been able to replicate it. And that's probably what I'll have to do. The problem is that if for some reason it happens in a more dangerous location, I could cause an accident. I don't feel it's safe to drive around with my family. Plus, if for some weird reason the car doesn't record it again, then they still have nothing to go on. Am I missing an alternative here?

If they can't duplicate it then drive it until it happens again. That's all anyone can do at this time until a code pops up or it can be duplicated by a mechanic.

Maybe it was a fluke? Maybe it won't happen again?
That's what I'll have to do. Sadly I was babysitting but would never feel comfortable driving some one's baby around in what has suddenly become an unreliable car. (The parents even asked how much I loved my CRV about two months ago and were considering getting one.) I was just hoping maybe some one else had had this issue or something similar and could direct me.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
Out of interest, did you procure this car new or used?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
When this happens, are you driving aggressively to try and merge with traffic? I've had Stability Control kick in and act like limp mode a couple times on an older vehicle in a similar situation. It always happened at the same left turn trying to merge.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,576 Posts
When this happens, are you driving aggressively to try and merge with traffic? I've had Stability Control kick in and act like limp mode a couple times on an older vehicle in a similar situation. It always happened at the same left turn trying to merge.
^^ A great point, and worthy of further investigation since the event apparently repeats at a particular turn. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts

If the ignition wires were not replaced, then I would check the ignition wire to the #4 cylinder.

Or, just replace all of the ignition wires.

I had a truck that ran great, but would periodically misfire on one cylinder. It seemed random, and the dealer could not figure it out. Finally, I noticed that the ignition wire to the misfiring cylinder was slightly kinked where it attached to the electronic ignition. After replacing the ignition wires, the truck has run perfectly for years.

Mark

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is what you do. Stop being around and file a case in BBB auto. I did that once and they sent a regional tech to come out and fix my vehicle. the master technician said this guy had tools that they just dont have access at the dealer. Keep your paper work.

Reactions: joggernot

·
Registered
114 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with Nav. I have a 2017 CRV with almost 100,000 miles on and I have Not had that issue. I did have an incident during warranty where ALL of the lights came on as well as a window would not roll all the way up & there was an issue with the hatchback, etc. The CRV first started & eventually quit after a few miles, fortunately in a Walmart parking lot. It was flat-bedded in for incidents on two consecutive weekends before they diagnosed the battery, not the vehicle itself, as being the issue.

Sometimes it takes them a little while to diagnosis something as with my bad battery, which one would think would be an easy thing to diagnosis but which took them 2 trips to fix. If it happens again try to remember right then what you might have been doing differently so as to give them a clue to work from. It might be something as simple as a sparkplug wire going bad but is still good until it is stressed in some particular manner, such as your left hand turn--or the same thing for some other part. Good luck with finding the issue.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have not had a an extreme oil dilution problem (which I believe would be PO172). I qualified for the warranty service based on PO304 - No. 4 cylinder misfire detected AND a "whirling noise coming from the engine compartment"

It is perplexing to both me and the Honda mechanics that the computer did not record the "limp mode" event. The last time, before the repair, my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. It indicated that EVERYTHING was wrong including tire pressure! This time, the check engine light blinked as I slowed down and came to a stop. Keep in mind this is the same intersection where the first event occurred, same blinking light, so I prepared myself. I knew what was going to happen next. As I made the left hand turn into the left hand turn lane the car went into "limp mode" and then I drove into the right lane and immediately onto the shoulder in a safe location. The light was still blinking. From before, I knew if i turned off the engine, let it sit for a moment, and then restarted the engine, the "limp-mode" would turn off and the car would be drivable. The difference this time was that the check engine light didn't stay on, nothing flashed, no dashboard warnings. And unfortunately it did not record the event.

Perhaps this one coincidentally occurred at the same spot with the very same events but was caused by something else. That is why the service department doesn't feel they can do anything until they recreate it or it happens again to me and this time records a code.

That is what the service department wants me to do since they've had the car a week and have not been able to replicate it. And that's probably what I'll have to do. The problem is that if for some reason it happens in a more dangerous location, I could cause an accident. I don't feel it's safe to drive around with my family. Plus, if for some weird reason the car doesn't record it again, then they still have nothing to go on. Am I missing an alternative here?

That's what I'll have to do. Sadly I was babysitting but would never feel comfortable driving some one's baby around in what has suddenly become an unreliable car. (The parents even asked how much I loved my CRV about two months ago and were considering getting one.) I was just hoping maybe some one else had had this issue or something similar and could direct me.
Typically, the vehicle will NOT go into "limp in" mode if it's misfiring on one cylinder. Also a single cylinder misfire will not cause the engine to stall; it will run rough as 1/4 of the power is gone but it will not stall. The misfire DTC is the fastest to set; it doesn't take too many consecutive misfires for the PCM to set a P0304 code if it's the #4 cylinder as you stated. You should ask he dealer what DTC it had when you first took it in. If it's a primary circuit problem to the #4 coil, it will set a different code (P0354).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts