Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Honda CR-V. This is my first car. Bought it 3 months back. When i took it for state inspection, the guys quoted me $500 for parts + labor.
They said they need to replace right above upper joint connecting the front suspension and Exhaust pipe between catalytic converter and rear muffler.

I was really skeptical with the quote. I have no idea about those parts. Is the quote given to me reasonable or over priced?

·
Registered
20 Posts
your description of the parts that need to replace sound very secondhand im not saying that the description is wrong but sounds a little confused. sounds like athe exhaust tube between the cat and the muffler needs to be replaced.

An upper joint on the suspension sounds like it went bad and needs to be replaced. Sounds like.

500 for parts and labor sounds ok to me, whenever ihave anything serious done to my vehicle by a mechanic i expect at a minimum a 400 dollar bill.

ball joint i probably at least 125.00 and some new aluminum and some welding for the exhaust and id say your in that ballpark . if hes fast and does a good job and stands behind his work id say the price is fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I understand the the description is not so clear. I just quoted what the mechanic said. I have 0 knowledge about the cars.

BTW, he has quoted $500 for parts. Labor is additional

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2000 Honda CR-V. This is my first car. Bought it 3 months back. When i took it for state inspection, the guys quoted me $500 for parts + labor.
They said they need to replace right above upper joint connecting the front suspension and Exhaust pipe between catalytic converter and rear muffler.

I was really skeptical with the quote. I have no idea about those parts. Is the quote given to me reasonable or over priced?
Sorry I don't know the price range, but do have inspection tip to share.
Depending on where you are, I am taking my crv (cars) to an "independent"
state inspection station that the only business is to do the inspection.
Seems that they are quick and easy in doing the inspection (even if I don't
understand the reason for the inspection).

Regards.

Pinwu

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I don't know the price range, but do have inspection tip to share.
Depending on where you are, I am taking my crv (cars) to an "independent"
state inspection station that the only business is to do the inspection.
Seems that they are quick and easy in doing the inspection (even if I don't
understand the reason for the inspection).

Regards.

Pinwu
That's a good tip. I need to look for one in Pittsburgh area.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sounds kind of expensive.

I changed the upper control arms on mine myself. I paid $60 each for the parts, but the list price was $100. They are pretty easy to change yourself if you was somewhat mechanical.

The exhaust you can probably get done pretty cheap at a muffler place. I have a place I take mine that charges close to what I would have to pay for the parts, and exhaust work is always a pain because everything is rusted together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sounds kind of expensive.

I changed the upper control arms on mine myself. I paid $60 each for the parts, but the list price was $100. They are pretty easy to change yourself if you was somewhat mechanical.

The exhaust you can probably get done pretty cheap at a muffler place. I have a place I take mine that charges close to what I would have to pay for the parts, and exhaust work is always a pain because everything is rusted together.
Thanks a lot.

I hope the upper control arm is this in linky. One thing that irks me is that the auto care stores are refusing to take the parts from me. They are forcing me to use the parts from them.

I'll get a quote from a muffler company. The part to be changed is called resonator (got this from the estimates breakdown).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
This is the upper control arm:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Honda/CR-V/Dorman/Control_Arm/2000/LX/4_Cyl_2-dot-0L/RB520648.html?loc=Front,+Passenger+Side,+Upper&tlc=Brakes,+Suspension+&+Steering

As you can see it is only 3 bolts.

Each side is different, so make sure to get the right one.

If they used your parts, then they wouldn't be able to charge you $150 each for the parts :)
Shops make more money off the parts than they do labor usually. Plus it can be a reliability issue if they use one of your parts and it breaks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Shyrp.

Just for a second opinion i left the car at firestone today morning. They are asking for $170 for bolt joints + $79 for spark plug + $60 for wheel alignment.
No mentioning about the exhaust :eek:.

Why these auto care centers are being such a rip off :confused:

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
Thanks a lot.

I hope the upper control arm is this in linky. One thing that irks me is that the auto care stores are refusing to take the parts from me. They are forcing me to use the parts from them.

I'll get a quote from a muffler company. The part to be changed is called resonator (got this from the estimates breakdown).

Thanks again.
you dont have to have a resonator. You prob dont need to replace the whole pipe either.

oem spark plugs for an si or type-r are $80, for a crv, it should be less than $10. The spark plug WIRES, now they are $80.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you dont have to have a resonator. You prob dont need to replace the whole pipe either.

oem spark plugs for an si or type-r are $80, for a crv, it should be less than $10. The spark plug WIRES, now they are $80.
I called a local muffler company. They too said the same about the resonator. I have scheduled an appointment with them on Saturday to get their quote.

I need to get the details about the spark plug from firestone when i get there today evening. Your post certainly will help me to ask them the right questions on their estimates.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Thanks a lot.

Thanks again.
If they take your vehicle apart and you brought the wrong parts a hoist can be tied up while they wait for the correct parts to come in. If they order the parts wrong that is their problem not yours.

The shop may have a prefered supplier that that trust for items such as suspension parts.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
I called a local muffler company. They too said the same about the resonator. I have scheduled an appointment with them on Saturday to get their quote.

I need to get the details about the spark plug from firestone when i get there today evening. Your post certainly will help me to ask them the right questions on their estimates.

Thanks.
you just need ngk plain plugs from advanced suto or something, not anything crazy...not platnums.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok..just got back from firestone. Here is the quote

1. Ball Joints - $79 parts + $92 labor = $171 (Required)

2. Suggested scheduled maintenance

Adjust and clean brakes - $0 parts + $35 labor
Flush and replace brake fluid -$21.99 parts + $49 labor
Wheel Alignment service - $0 parts + $69.99 labor
Total suggested preventive maintenance = $175

3. Suggested scheduled maintenance

Platinum plug - $6.99 parts + $46 labor
Fuel system cleaner - $39.99 parts + $50 labor
Replace fuel filter - $47.99 parts + $46 labor
Coolant flush - $16.99 parts + $49 labor
Antifreeze gallon - $12 parts

Total scheduled maintenance suggested = $347.93

Overall total + tax + shop supplies ($25?) = $769.21

The service quote for ball joints, brake fluid and wheel alignment sounds reasonable to me. I believe i can go with the 1 & 2 items. I can postpone the coolant flush, fuel cleaner and ignition parts later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok..just got back from firestone. Here is the quote

1. Ball Joints - $79 parts + $92 labor = $171 (Required)

2. Suggested scheduled maintenance

Adjust and clean brakes - $0 parts + $35 labor

dont do this unless your replacing not really needed.
Flush and replace brake fluid -$21.99 parts + $49 labor

I would say this is a good one to let them do if you cant.

Wheel Alignment service - $0 parts + $69.99 labor

only if needed because your gettin new tires or something or its out of whack...excessive wear which you should be able to ascertain yourself.
Total suggested preventive maintenance = $175

do it yourself ...learn something new and never have to pay for it again.

get a bottle of techron 8.00 and call it done
not sure what fuel filter they are referring to.
not needed for 10 years or 150,00 miles or something
again not needed yet

Total scheduled maintenance suggested = $347.93

Overall total + tax + shop supplies ($25?) = $769.21

The service quote for ball joints, brake fluid and wheel alignment sounds reasonable to me. I believe i can go with the 1 & 2 items. I can postpone the coolant flush, fuel cleaner and ignition parts later.

so there you go ball joint replacement seems reasonable.
some spark plugs
a bottle of 8.00 techron
and a brake bleed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks atomb. I have gone with your suggestion. Left the car in firestone for service today.

Thanks to all for helping me in making the decision.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts

No, and do it yourself...$46 in labor? It take 5 minuted not half an hour.

No

I do this myself as well, and I only use honda fuel filters

no, you dont "flush" honda systems...you will break something. All you do is drain and refill. Again...do it yourself.

get a 50-50 premixed if your not used to doing it yourself

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

No, and do it yourself...$46 in labor? It take 5 minuted not half an hour.

No

I do this myself as well, and I only use honda fuel filters

no, you dont "flush" honda systems...you will break something. All you do is drain and refill. Again...do it yourself.

get a 50-50 premixed if your not used to doing it yourself
Great..next step for me to watch some youtube videos for how to do it :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you need anymore help feel free to ask. Most of the routine maintenance is not tough and doing it yourself gives a pretty good sense of pride while driving your vehicle.
For some though a wrench is a foreign object for those of you I would say pay the piper and open that wallet. I attempt to do most maintenancemyself and have started more difficult maintenance and repairs of late and as long as you arent rushed take your time and do your homework it usual works out well. This forum as well is a great resource and any questions will surely get answered correctly for ya. Holler if you need

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you need anymore help feel free to ask. Most of the routine maintenance is not tough and doing it yourself gives a pretty good sense of pride while driving your vehicle.
For some though a wrench is a foreign object for those of you I would say pay the piper and open that wallet. I attempt to do most maintenancemyself and have started more difficult maintenance and repairs of late and as long as you arent rushed take your time and do your homework it usual works out well. This forum as well is a great resource and any questions will surely get answered correctly for ya. Holler if you need
I apprecieate that. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts