Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This evening I was driving home from work in my 2000 awd and it randomly lost power and sputtered a bit, I pressed down the gas to no avail, I pulled over and the oil light and check engine light came on. I turned off the car and it wouldn't start again. It would crank, but it wouldn't start.

It has 220k miles, timing belt replaced at 180k.

Could it be the fuel pump?

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
when cranking does it sound normal? Is the speed sounded like normal or is it spinning faster? Check for spark , it should be blue not orange. Usually these vehicles the fuel pump doesn't easily die. Take out the spark plugs smell it after cranking the engine. But check for spark 1st. If you don't have spark it could be the Igniter , coil or the distributor assembly. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
Could be bad fuel or just outta gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to have it towed to the shop because it broke down on the side of a highway. I do have a code reader but I had it towed to the shop due to where it was at and time of day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m hoping it’s not a valve issue as all of the seals were redone 40k miles ago. The CEL hasn’t come back on since I reset the code, and the engine runs fine.
Maybe just a bad wire/spark?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Part 2-

This morning I go outside and the car starts right up. I then put my CD player face plate and Sirius radio back on and the car shuts off.

Won’t start back up again. Cranks fine but won’t turn over. All interior lights work, battery seems fine. Now mind you we just went through a bad spell of cold weather (-30) wind chill for several days before warming back up into the 30s and 40s.

UPDATE-

I tried putting my portable jumper on my battery to just make sure it wasn’t the battery. Still wouldn’t start. Cranks fine and sounds fine when cranking.

Had the car running for 15 mins before putting in stereo faceplate. The car sounded fine, no misfire, no backfire, and no knock from engine. RPMs were right where they’re supposed to be.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
When the engine is turning but not firing check for spark. It should be blue not orange. You can also remove one of the spark plug smell the end of it. If you don't smell fuel it could be the lines have frozen. How long or how old are the spark plugs. Usually when the lower the temp the harder for the spark to jump the gap. It puts more resistance on the ignition system.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
It’s strange to have a start run right then just die on you.
I’m wondering if the ignition switch has worn to the point of struggling to do its job properly. It’s a rare fault but let’s keep it on the table.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m wondering if the ignition switch has worn to the point of struggling to do its job properly. It’s a rare fault but let’s keep it on the table.

Update-

Got home from work, car had been sitting for 24hrs. Started right up, then died 3 mins later won’t start again.

But I know if I let it sit for another hour or two it will start. Almost like something resets, allows it to run then hits that fault again and shuts off.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,136 Posts
Good post rocky,

I’m wondering if the ignition switch has worn

It's been several years now, but that vintage's Honda (not just Vs) had ignition switch issues. A recall was performed....but I had heard that eventually some of the replacement switches would fail, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good post rocky,

I’m wondering if the ignition switch has worn

It's been several years now, but that vintage's Honda (not just Vs) had ignition switch issues. A recall was performed....but I had heard that eventually some of the replacement switches would fail, too.

Guys, I feel that’s exactly what is going on. Plus what this guy describes is EXACTLY what is happening to mine.

https://youtu.be/OgA3EH0yWUk

Any step by steps on here on how to do this? I know the video kind of walks through but I want to make sure I don’t miss anything.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.