Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow CR-V ers,
I have a problem with my 2002 Mk 2 CR-V, the tailgate will not open, it had been a bit pesky requiring a few presses of the remote to open, but now it is not opening at all, the glass part opens ok which helps.
Reading on here I think that the actuator has packed up, but my question is this, can I remove the trim on the back of the tailgate with it closed to access the mechanism, and if not is there a way to open the tailgate without removing this trim??
I would be eternally grateful for any answers.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Make sure you have your radio code if you disconnect the battery.
Have someone pound lightly in the latch (where the actuator is) area while trying to unlock it.
Might check online for a video on removing that cover while it is closed.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
Just so that we do not assume anything,

The key: (remember those?)...does that unlock the door OK?

Do you get an intermittent DOOR AJAR pictograph on the dash? The rear door switches don't always actuate propoerly, and this could cause the car to think this door is unlocked already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the good news is that the trim does come off with the tailgate closed and I have now got the tailgate to unlock and lock manually.
Upon close examination of the lock mechanism I think that it comes as one piece, ie the lock and actuator together, can anyone confirm or deny this, it would sure be a lot easier and cheaper I think just to change the actuator!!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Looks like you can buy the actuator separately. But the actual lock is a complete assembly. Here is a link http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1999-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_4wd-ka-4at/distributor-tec.html For the actuator its # 2. For the lock assembly its # 8. Have you tested the actuator? Try to remove the power connector going to the actuator with a Multimeter confirm if it has voltage going to it when you depress the remote. Just to confirm that its the actuator or the remote is the problem. Let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phew!!

A quick update....managed to get the problem fixed, bought a new actuator, installed it and it is all working fine.
To fit the actuator was pretty easy, just undo the 3 countersunk screws to detach the lock mechanism, unplug the two connectors, then unhook the brown plastic clip to free the lock completely, then undo 3 small screws to remove the brass plate, now you can undo the two screws that hold the actuator, installation is the opposite, easy peasy:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid £88.50 for the actuator from my local Honda dealership, for what it is it seems pretty expensive but it has done the job!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts