Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ugh. Not used to this app. Sorry guys!

I have a galaxy s3. The guys at verizon are trying to tell me that my phone requires a samsung charger. False, as it is currently charging fine on a non samsung charger. The only place I have charging issues is my car. It connects and charges for a couple of seconds, then stops charging. In both the cigarette lighter AND the usb. I'm starting to wonder if there is a blown fuse somewhere. Any thoughts? Or would a blown fuse in one of the two cause there to be absolutely NO power coming through it? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
A blown fuse won't allow any power to go through. I'm not sure if both circuits are on the same fuse or different ones. Either way, if it starts then stops, it must be something else other than power.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I kind of figured as much, but wasnt 100%. I'm going to try to charge it today by connecting the usb from yesterday's charger and see what happens. I have a Samsung car charger on the way, so maybe that will take care of things....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the above scenario worked with the cord plugged into my usb port. 5% more life in a 10 minute commute to work. Nothing when plugged into an old bullet in the cigarette lighter, but my flash drive with music on it is plugged in and lit up, so it's getting power. :-/

I have another question. If The. Only. Way. I can charge my phone is via the usb port (going to still test the samsung cigarette lighter charger, but not holding my breath lol), are those usb hubs that convert 1 to 4 compatible with these vehicles? I'm ok with going without my flash drive for the time being since the radio stations are playing christmas music, but I'm going to need that flash drive back in a week or so.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your old charger is not putting enough current at 5Volts to charge your new phone. Older USB version 1 only had outputs of 0.5 amps at 5V, the newer USB2 spec can go to 5 amps (changed around 2010). Most of the adapters for ipads are 2amps. If you purchase a newer 12 V adapter for your van that has at least 2.1 amps output it will work even if it is not from Samsung.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks I did not know that. I too have a S3 and I have a newer charger, and it charges fine in the cigarette lighter hole.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your old charger is not putting enough current at 5Volts to charge your new phone. Older USB version 1 only had outputs of 0.5 amps at 5V, the newer USB2 spec can go to 5 amps (changed around 2010). Most of the adapters for ipads are 2amps. If you purchase a newer 12 V adapter for your van that has at least 2.1 amps output it will work even if it is not from Samsung.
Ok, I know enough about technology to be scary (more than your grandma or grandpa probably but less than my 10 year old nephew lol) so I'm going to make sure I totally understand what you're saying. :)

Basically, it kind of IS an issue with my car, just not the issue I was thinking or leaning towards. Basically the cigarette lighter thing in the car puts out too much power for the chargers I've been getting, and I need a better "plug in" to harness that power so that it actually charges my phone???

From what you're saying, even though the following is a Samsung charger, it won't charge my phone any better, correct? (Because it's only a 1A charger?) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DLKXJG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I would at least need something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ECA-U21CBE-Micro-USB-Charger-Devices/dp/B00CWR3A10/ref=pd_cp_cps_2

Also, I'm curious... The car charger that verizon told me would work was actually a 700 mAh charger. I went with the 1A one over the one they suggested, because I *thought* that the 1A would be better powerwise than the 700 mAh one. (And because the 1A one was $13 vs. the 700 mAh being $6... I don't want a $100 charger, but honestly the cheaper price of the one they suggested kinda seemed "too low", if you know what I mean.) Is this at least accurate thinking?

Now, (last question I promise lol) I have to wonder, would I have had this problem in my husband's 01 Celica? I know this is a Honda forum, not a Toyota one, but just looking for thoughts. I only ask because I'm thinking of just ordering the 2 amp one and keeping the order for the 1A one to just give to the hubby instead of dealing with the hassle of cancelling the one I already ordered.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crap. 1 more question. If I were to use the 2 amp charger in an older vehicle (say, hypothetically, my hubby's 01 Celica that charges just fine with a 1A charger), do I risk damaging my phone? Here in the next year or so, I'm going to be back in my old 06 Cobalt, and don't want to risk blowing up my phone lol.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, I just re-read everything you posted and I am sorta confused on what you are asking, so I will give a general answer.

The Honda CRV says max 120w. Cigarette lighter/ power outlets are normally 12v(from the car battery). 12v x 10 amps = 120w.

I believe most cars, even the older ones are also 120w unless they use a 5 amp fuse 12v x 5 amps = 60w, you would need 5v x 10 amps = 50w still safe ;)

If you have a phone that uses 5v and you use a 12v external charger it will fry your phone.

If you have a 5v external charger and your phone uses 5v and need 2 amps you need a charger that can do 2 amps.

If you have a 5v external charger and your phone uses 1 amp and your charger can do 2 amps . The phone will only draw as much power as it is needed. Think of it as take as much as you need.

·
Registered
280 Posts
OK.. had to re-read your post.

I would go with the 2amp version, your phone or other device will only use what it needs. The higher amperage will allow the device to charge faster. If you look at the reviews of the 700ma device you posted, you will see some that states the charging rate to be less than what the device is using when updating or being in use (like streaming music). The higher 2 amp chargers will not overdrive your vehicles electronics. I believe the problem was with the change in what newer devices requires to charge and the use of an older car charger.

I have experience the same problem with chargers that I have had for a number of years not being able to charge an iphone 5S or an ipad. Had to look for newer ones that worked.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Got it figured out. I'm just going to go with the 1 amp one, since it's already on the way. Long story short, the hubs and I were in his celica last night going to his work christmas party. I took the old walmart adapter and the good kodak charger cable with me, & tried them in his car, for s**** & giggles. Nothing on mine, which I expected. Hubby suggested trying his phone (same phones, different otter boxes, purchased on the same day). His charged. And charged WELL. In a 10 minute drive, it increased his battery by 10 percent. Went into Verizon today, & one of the prongs on the charging port is broken. New phone coming on Tuesday. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts