Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I hope everyone is healthy and safe , I have a 98 Honda CR-V that seems to have not received so much love from the previous owner, I just performed the oil change to get it out of the way however I just did the coolant flush and I noticed only 2 quarts came out. I know it takes in 4 quarts but I only removed the drain plug so I was wondering did I need to remove the lower radiator hose as well for the other two missing quarts ?!? Also I filled up the radiator cap with only two quarts before it went to the neck which surprised me as to why I am wondering if I still need to take the other two quarts out ? I ran the car after filling it up with just the two quarts and some of the coolant went to overflow tank which I originally had empty. I didn’t wait for the fans to kick in but I already checked that they’re working by turning ac on (both fans started right up) after a while the coolant goes down but not immediately or at least 5 minutes after but I leave it for a long time after I shut it off again and the coolant goes away from the cap neck . Should I not keep filling it up ? Im wondering if I have a bad head gasket now as well, any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
576 Posts
Standard coolant flush procedure is listed in this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Standard coolant flush procedure is listed in this thread.

Thank you for that !!! So I’m kind of scared to try this method out now because I noticed that there’s residue when I check the overflow container, I don’t know if I’m paranoid but I’m kind of afraid that I might have bad head gasket still, there’s no smoke coming out of the muffler but when I ran the car this morning it started to smoke from the engine,also when I turn the car on it starts revving up by itself around the 1500’s for a little and that’s when the smoke comes out I am showing a picture of the overflow tank for you guys to see * update I just took out the drain plug for coolant and it looks like this * third picture

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
576 Posts
That residue is somewhat normal.

If you're getting milky oil, or you can smell exhaust in the coolant, those are the usual signs of a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
187 Posts
A block testing kit is the best way to verify if you have a blown head gasket. Its a relatively cheap kit and its not to hard to use. I'm new to this forum but I'm a master Honda/ Acura tech for over 15 years. So I'm not sure if I can post an Amazon link to a test kit. If you decide to get one I prefer a 2 chamber kit to avoid coolant contamination to the block testing fluid. Im sure YouTube has plenty of videos showing how they work. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A block testing kit is the best way to verify if you have a blown head gasket. Its a relatively cheap kit and its not to hard to use. I'm new to this forum but I'm a master Honda/ Acura tech for over 15 years. So I'm not sure if I can post an Amazon link to a test kit. If you decide to get one I prefer a 2 chamber kit to avoid coolant contamination to the block testing fluid. Im sure YouTube has plenty of videos showing how they work. Good luck.
I got a block testing kit from Amazon. Easy to use. Cost around $37.00 I need a new head gasket.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,115 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Israelz72

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,115 Posts
First of all I hope everyone is healthy and safe , I have a 98 Honda CR-V that seems to have not received so much love from the previous owner, I just performed the oil change to get it out of the way however I just did the coolant flush and I noticed only 2 quarts came out. I know it takes in 4 quarts but I only removed the drain plug so I was wondering did I need to remove the lower radiator hose as well for the other two missing quarts ?!? Also I filled up the radiator cap with only two quarts before it went to the neck which surprised me as to why I am wondering if I still need to take the other two quarts out ? I ran the car after filling it up with just the two quarts and some of the coolant went to overflow tank which I originally had empty. I didn’t wait for the fans to kick in but I already checked that they’re working by turning ac on (both fans started right up) after a while the coolant goes down but not immediately or at least 5 minutes after but I leave it for a long time after I shut it off again and the coolant goes away from the cap neck . Should I not keep filling it up ? Im wondering if I have a bad head gasket now as well, any help will be appreciated
I edited your title to remove the all caps. Please do not use all caps on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts