Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CRV EX 300,000k miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 crv with 312k on it. I'm looking at doing my 1st oil change on it. The previous owner said it has had synthetic since new. He didn't say what brand or weight. What would y'all recommend? What is a good filter too? Something that can be bought at Walmart. Thanks

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'd use the viscosity shown on the engine sticker and/or oil fill cap, and in the owner's manual. Also, you could check back with the previous owner, though you have no real way of knowing if what he was using was the right stuff.

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
56 Posts
Definitely I would recommend sticking with full-synthetic. Full synthetic is simply so much better all around than dino oils and these days its so cheap its no contest. Brand is not really important for a car with that many miles, any inexpensive full synthetic will do fine and just about any filter is OK too, much more important would be changing them both often enough and monitoring the oil level and keeping it topped off.

You may not want to believe that it burns or drips any significant amount of oil, and previous owners always say things like "it never uses a drop of oil!", but in my experience at that mileage everything uses some oil and you need to keep an eye on it and top it off as needed, same with pretty much every other fluid under the hood, power steering may have a tiny seepage or coolant, etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with the others. Stick with the full synthetic especially since you were told it has been used since the beginning.

We’ve used Mobil 5W-30W full synthetic in our ‘98’s for thousands of miles with good luck. I prefer Honda’s brand of oil filters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts