Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

A couple of months back I inquired about towing Uhauls largest trailer 6x12 with my 17 crv.

Needless to say a lot of you told me it's not feasible nor safe and I will say this once.

I have towed quite a bit in my time with many different vehicles and not once this felt unstable or unsafe. I towed a total of 500 miles, and got about 22mpg fully loaded in the cabin and trailer.

Filled up twice on my way to NYC (new home)

Brakes were great since trailer had surge brakes and kept it at 60-65. Cvt did not have issues with keeping up with traffic, it handled it amazingly getting onto the off ramp with 75 mph traffic.

Heres a pic for reference of what it looks like.

Call me an idiot, I'm going to no longer be an owner in a month (3 year lease up)

I will be honest, I have not been easy on this car. I'm talking 52k miles, I'm over by a few miles, lease was for 45k.

I drove this thing hard, I'm talking brake boosted launches, top speed runs, just running the absolute shit out of it and it has been dead reliable.

I won't be getting another Honda but if you're looking for something dead mechanical reliable this is it.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

It's been fun but it's just my wife and I, so we're looking for a car this next time. Preferably a mini.

Attachments

·
1,947 Posts
It's been fun but it's just my wife and I, so we're looking for a car this next time. Preferably a mini.
I hope you don't mean a BMW Mini. Those things are terrible mechanical nightmares. I've yet to ever meet or know anyone who didn't regret ever buying one. Just sayin.'

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Amazing........a 1900 lb (empty weight) trailer, loaded with who knows how much more weight.:eek: I'm stumped that Uhaul would even rent that size trailer knowing it would be towed by a CRV.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have no issues towing my trailer with my Ventrac four wheel drive tractor on it. no issues stopping either.....

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I know the CVT tranny fluid runs well north of 200F, in cold ambients, not towing and no provision for an auxiliary cooler. So.......the only issue I would have, is exceeding the 1500 lb tow limit. Error on the safe side. Does abuse start at 1501 lbs????🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
485 Posts
I hope you don't mean a BMW Mini. Those things are terrible mechanical nightmares. I've yet to ever meet or know anyone who didn't regret ever buying one. Just sayin.'
+1 - my friend in Houston had to get a replacement engine (on his dime) after the original detonated on him.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We plan on leasing a clubman, unfortunately living in a city requires something a bit smaller for street parking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand everyone's curiousity but what's done is done. I'm just providing my final feedback since I have one month left with my crv.

Aside from the long times to warm up, this suv has been flawless and seen some rough times. I've used it awd capability to get out of some really rough mountain snow and mud on oem tires.

It's seen a couple of accidents, it's definitely driven harder than a rental.

Other than just some oil changes and a set of new tires after 20k

I have been enjoying this car. It's been reliable, no weird issues at all that required a dealer visit and mind you this was one of the early builds from Canada.

For all of those curious as well, it runs a solid 15.5 @ 100 in the quarter. Trick is to brake boost in S then as soon as it starts to go and gets past 3500 rpm I drop into L and this now eliminates any boost lag and immediately gets the crv at full boost near redline.

I use this trick when I want to pass on a country road and need immediate boost.

Either in D or S you floor it first then right after, move the shifter into L and it will get rid of the artificial boost lag.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
What psi boost do you observe?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I understand everyone's curiousity but what's done is done. I'm just providing my final feedback since I have one month left with my crv.

Aside from the long times to warm up, this suv has been flawless and seen some rough times. I've used it awd capability to get out of some really rough mountain snow and mud on oem tires.

It's seen a couple of accidents, it's definitely driven harder than a rental.

Other than just some oil changes and a set of new tires after 20k

I have been enjoying this car. It's been reliable, no weird issues at all that required a dealer visit and mind you this was one of the early builds from Canada.

For all of those curious as well, it runs a solid 15.5 @ 100 in the quarter. Trick is to brake boost in S then as soon as it starts to go and gets past 3500 rpm I drop into L and this now eliminates any boost lag and immediately gets the crv at full boost near redline.

I use this trick when I want to pass on a country road and need immediate boost.

Either in D or S you floor it first then right after, move the shifter into L and it will get rid of the artificial boost lag.
That is interesting.
For comparison, my 1996 Mustang GT with a 220hp 4.6L V8 ran a 15.3 at 96 mph.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know the CVT tranny fluid runs well north of 200F, in cold ambients, not towing and no provision for an auxiliary cooler. So.......the only issue I would have, is exceeding the 1500 lb tow limit. Error on the safe side. Does abuse start at 1501 lbs????🤷‍♂️
Funny I will average near or at 28 MPG towing, can't be much abuse going on. I can get the same not towing in S .....

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, what’s your cost per mile for going over your contract? Guessing it’s going to be well over $1K!

BTW: I get a 15.68 @ 89 mph just flooring it from a stop in D. It’s amazing you get 10 more mph!!!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Funny I will average near or at 28 MPG towing, can't be much abuse going on. I can get the same not towing in S .....
28 mpg towing..........that’s amazing. Any idea the towed weight?......tranny fluid temp, speed, terrain, distance? Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
28 mpg towing..........that’s amazing. Any idea the towed weight?......tranny fluid temp, speed, terrain, distance? Thanks.

1600 lb. tractor on a 500 lb. trailer I built. up and down hills, 20+ miles each way..... not a clue on Tranny temp but nothing on the engine.....

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Amazing.(y) What does "nothing on the engine" mean?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts