Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I've searched online for what can cause this and have come up short. I've got a 2003 with the 4A tranny and 270,000km on it. On hard acceleration to get onto the highway or going up a hill the engine stumbles until it gets to about 4500 RPM, then it's like a turbo kicks in. I've had this car since new (my wife drove it), and it always seemed to lack power at the 3000-4500 RPM range. But now there's a definite stumbling and a P0325 code on the CEL. I've seen possible causes on other posts, but none of them have the engine smooth out and pull at 4500+ RPM. Has anyone here experienced this?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
So I did a quick Google search on the P0325 code I found:

"The computer uses this information to tune the engine so that it doesn't knock. If your knock sensor wasn't operating properly, so that it was always indicating a knock, the engine computer's response may have been to change the ignition timing on your engine."

The diagnostic information is to test and/or replace the knock sensor.
I think I'd start there.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yeal, 0325, knock sensor. Nothing out of the ordinary for the age. Fairly cheap part, not hard to change if your used to doing your own maintenance.

Dont get hung up on the tiny details of rpm. That simply depends on level of failure of the sensor as well as fuel/air mixture being determined by other sensors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The computer uses this information to tune the engine so that it doesn't knock. If your knock sensor wasn't operating properly, so that it was always indicating a knock, the engine computer's response may have been to change the ignition timing on your engine."
The reason I'm puzzled is that the computer would retard the timing. You wouldn't have stumbling from retarded timing. I'm equally confused on why it kicks in at 4500 RPM. From what I've read about these engines, the vtec is engaged at 3500 RPM so I don't think it's that. I haven't seen any posts on my specific problem

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fyi a vtec issue will cause a limit of 2700 rpm. Will not cause codes for anything else but itself. No codes the oil being dirty can cause vtec issues, but 20 minutes, 10mm socket and can of brake cleaner can fix that. You have a code telling you exactly what the issue is, no need yo look any further until that is fixed.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Check the Ignition timing at hot idle if it is within specs.
This isnt old tech, all computer controlled cannot be checked without a scanner with realtime data stream and doesnt matter anyway as computer will attempt to correct. Cant even put a timing light on 2nd gen or newer, 100% computer controlled.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fix the knock sensor first, reset computer, do idle relearn then see if that code comes back.

I love the names honda gives engine parts. Lets make a long fancy name for ide control valve lol.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,913 Posts
X2 on replacing the knock sensor first. :HighFive:

BUT

The IMRC control in the intake is a known Gen2 issue. For that code the first, easiest action would be to replace the control solenoid, and the next step would be to replace the rotary valve in the intake manifold.

Here's a DIY I found on youTube, there are others if you SEARCH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lifJa1vq6M4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts