Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I bought our 2010 ex-l late 2010. We have recently come into some issues unfortunately...
AC started blowing warm @ 1003xx miles, just outside of the warranty extension. They say the whole system needs to be replaced for $5500!!! How can these prices be all over the place?

2nd issue is high oil consumption. We're in progress of doing the oil test with a Honda dealership. They just issued a warranty extension for this issue as well this August 12-089. This extension goes to 125000 miles.

Hopefully Honda America will work with us on the AC. At $5500 shouldn't Honda America ask for a second opinion?

This is my third Honda over the last 12 years so I have history.

Anyhow, any incites are welcome!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is unfortunate that you have two bad problems with not really excessive mileage. Anyone who would quote that amount for AC repair is insane. I would get a second opinion, JMHO

·
Registered
772 Posts
Read this little story, may be related, maybe not. I use NAPA local repair shop for convience, and have used them for my last CRV timing belt, 1st class job, neat and clean. This summer my Tahoe was also low on freon, so I took it to them. No dye because I will not allow it. Due to age, 1999 one owner, they quoted 1000.00/1200.00 for comp/drier/cond. When I dropped it off, I told them there was some moisture around the low/high side fittings, he replied they were ok. I took it to a friend who has had a shop for over 40 yrs, I asked him to check it out and call me. Next day he called and had it fixed for $85.00, including two (2) schrader valves(low/high side fittings) the same type of valve in your tires only larger. I say this for one reason, a/c work is QUICK EASY $$$$$ and you really don't know what they did or did not do. As for your choice of dealer, don't go back, any one who would represent the dealer service dept. being that unfamiliar about the system needs different career. Hope I haven't bored you, but it's reality today. Get a second opinion and a third if necessary. JMHO and good luck.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
So my wife and I bought our 2010 ex-l late 2010. We have recently come into some issues unfortunately...
AC started blowing warm @ 1003xx miles, just outside of the warranty extension. They say the whole system needs to be replaced for $5500!!! How can these prices be all over the place?

2nd issue is high oil consumption. We're in progress of doing the oil test with a Honda dealership. They just issued a warranty extension for this issue as well this August 12-089. This extension goes to 125000 miles.

Hopefully Honda America will work with us on the AC. At $5500 shouldn't Honda America ask for a second opinion?

This is my third Honda over the last 12 years so I have history.

Anyhow, any incites are welcome!
Go to a couple different dealers to get a quote. $5,500 is absolutely outrageous. If anything you would probably pay around $1,200. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I'm no slouch as far as turning a wrench is concerned either. I do all the work on my bmw 540i since shop fees are outrageous. That includes all intake manifold gaskets and water pump and countless other maintenance items.
Any ideas how to get it to another shop since Honda America already has a case open?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm no slouch as far as turning a wrench is concerned either. I do all the work on my bmw 540i since shop fees are outrageous. That includes all intake manifold gaskets and water pump and countless other maintenance items.
Any ideas how to get it to another shop since Honda America already has a case open?
I would just go to another dealership and not mention the open case and see what price they give you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I called multiple dealers in the area and they were all in the 2400-3200 range depending on if I went with a Honda compressor or an aftermarket one. I had to eat a $200 diagnostic fee but I wasn't willing to let them work on my car after that initial quote. Dropping it off in the morning in for yet another diagnosis and go from there. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So another update. Got the car diagnosed at another dealership and they didn't find any contaminates. So its just the compressor, clutch and relay. Comes in just under $1300. So the other place blatantly lied about heavy contaminates and overprice an entire system by $2000+
How do they sleep at night!!!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
So another update. Got the car diagnosed at another dealership and they didn't find any contaminates. So its just the compressor, clutch and relay. Comes in just under $1300. So the other place blatantly lied about heavy contaminates and overprice an entire system by $2000+
How do they sleep at night!!!
I'm glad you got a better diagnostic. That first dealership was trying to rob you. I'd call Honda America and report the dealership and maybe try and get your money back for the first diagnostic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts