Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I've got a 2012 CRV in Urban Titanium that I purchased 2.5yrs ago named Olivia. I'm obsessed with her. Until my Canadian wife got her US residency, Olivia and I did A LOT of sightseeing, traveling back and forth from the PNW (where I'm from) on up through the Canadian Rockies. I've slept in this gem of a vehicle more times than I can count. We've recently relocated to the Southwest and are digging it. So many places to explore and camping opportunities!

My dream is to essentially turn Olivia into a little camper. REALLY get her dialed in so that she's both comfy as heck as a sleeper (re: the pesky fold-down backseat tilt from this gen.) as well as super utilitarian with storage and function. I'm very excited to dig in the archives to see if there's any info along these lines! Additionally if you have any experiences/tips and tricks, I'd love to hear 'em!

Attached are a few pics of us doing our thing. I need to get better ones up. More to come :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
Happy you have joined the forum!

I've never slept in a CR-V...it would seem that a small trailer to hold some 'stuff' would help at bedtime to hold some of your belongings and make your sleep more comfortable...motorcycle trailer small and very easy to pull.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If you start thinking about a trailer you might as well consider a teardrop camp trailer.

As for sleeping, I've seen other vehicles where someone built a raised platform about the height of the bottoms of the windows. Makes a flat sleeping platform with storage underneath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you start thinking about a trailer you might as well consider a teardrop camp trailer.

As for sleeping, I've seen other vehicles where someone built a raised platform about the height of the bottoms of the windows. Makes a flat sleeping platform with storage underneath.
Sigh! A teardrop camper is the longterm plan! Until I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'm definitely trying to sleuth out designs for a sleeping platform that would also give me a little storage. I've been trying to find some build inspo but I'm not coming across a ton for CRVs specifically. Keeping my eyes peeled!

·
Registered
152 Posts
"As for sleeping, I've seen other vehicles where someone built a raised platform about the height of the bottoms of the windows. Makes a flat sleeping platform with storage underneath."

When I was a kid we had a '57 Chevy 4dr Wagon with that EXACT setup. Plywood (3/4"?) painted black. Slept 3 - Dad, brother and me. Some great salmon fishing trips. Thx for bringing back the pleasant memories.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
@bearcrkrd - I'm glad I triggered some good memories. :D

Another thought - you'll need curtains for the windows.
I used to have a 1967 VW Westfalia Camper Van that the curtains were mounted top and bottom with thin horizontal springs. Bungie cords might be another option.

And found this site about camping in the back of a pickup truck with a shell, that also has examples of platform beds:

https://fancydecors.co/2018/03/23/20-tips-for-truck-bed-camping/

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Bonnie - Welcome to the forum!!! One thing I don't see listed here is the Element crowd. There is a huge contingent of cult followers of the Honda Element for just this purpose, and I'm sure you would find many helpful things from their forums. Also, they have a huge presence on YouTube. Keep us posted on your adventures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@racoon Thanks so much for shooting these links my way - SUPER helpful! The missus is blueprinting a bit of a hybrid from these sources so I'll be sure to post photos once we've got this project knocked out! Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"As for sleeping, I've seen other vehicles where someone built a raised platform about the height of the bottoms of the windows. Makes a flat sleeping platform with storage underneath."

When I was a kid we had a '57 Chevy 4dr Wagon with that EXACT setup. Plywood (3/4"?) painted black. Slept 3 - Dad, brother and me. Some great salmon fishing trips. Thx for bringing back the pleasant memories.
Adventures with the fam. Nothing like it :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bonnie - Welcome to the forum!!! One thing I don't see listed here is the Element crowd. There is a huge contingent of cult followers of the Honda Element for just this purpose, and I'm sure you would find many helpful things from their forums. Also, they have a huge presence on YouTube. Keep us posted on your adventures!
Thanks for the warm welcome! I had no idea about the Element camper crowd until now! Holy smokes there are some neat things they're doing with their rigs! Thanks for the tip! I already found some neat built-in ideas I'd love to try and mock!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.