Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago, a neighbor moved to Vermont and I bought her 1998 Honda CRV 5 speed AWD with only 141,000 miles. The car sat for almost six years, so after a lot of part replacements, this car is in excellent running condition. Only problem is with sticky clutch. Mechanic informs me that clutch pedal assembly and pin need to be replaced because pin is "wallowed out". Shifting is sticky and not smooth, so I'm looking for a replacement clutch assembly and pin. I'd appreciate any leads you have on this part, since it is discontinued and unavailable.

·
3,055 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would think linkage issues would cause binding rather than sticking. If it was me, I would probably (if it 's possible) drill the pin holes out to size and install a next size larger pin. But then I have a shop. You might check to see if any parts stores have a rebuild kit for this. Or call or visit local Honda mechanics and ask around to see if any of them know of parts from other Honda models that might it. Or you could look at local wrecking yards to see if you can find a lower mileage wrecked one that still has the parts in it.

However, "sticky" sound to me more like a hydraulic issue, which would make sense after sitting for years. So I would look at the clutch master and slave cylinders. You could try bleeding them and replacing fluid to see if that helps. If not, those parts are still available. Here are some links:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1998-honda-cr_v--5dr_ex-kl_5mt/chassis/pedal.html

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1998-honda-cr_v--5dr_ex-kl_5mt/chassis/clutch_master_cylinder.html

Moving to Gen 1 section, as vehicle issue posts are not allowed in this section. Keep us posted on how this is going.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,553 Posts
You should NOT need a 'pedal assembly', but it might be a good idea to at least LOOK at the pin that connects the cleavage arm to the pedal. Item 3 in kloker's Clutch Master Cylinder link. (less than $4 USD)

If it is worn, one diagnostic would be to adjust the linkage on the cylinder's cleavage <longer>, to make sure the clutch cylinder is fully actuated.

The picture is of a pin from a friend's sports car, with only 35K miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum! I would think linkage issues would cause binding rather than sticking. If it was me, I would probably (if it 's possible) drill the pin holes out to size and install a next size larger pin. But then I have a shop. You might check to see if any parts stores have a rebuild kit for this. Or call or visit local Honda mechanics and ask around to see if any of them know of parts from other Honda models that might it. Or you could look at local wrecking yards to see if you can find a lower mileage wrecked one that still has the parts in it.

However, "sticky" sound to me more like a hydraulic issue, which would make sense after sitting for years. So I would look at the clutch master and slave cylinders. You could try bleeding them and replacing fluid to see if that helps. If not, those parts are still available. Here are some links:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1998-honda-cr_v--5dr_ex-kl_5mt/chassis/pedal.html

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1998-honda-cr_v--5dr_ex-kl_5mt/chassis/clutch_master_cylinder.html

Moving to Gen 1 section, as vehicle issue posts are not allowed in this section. Keep us posted on how this is going.
I appreciate the sage advice regarding the clutch assembly problem. My son the mechanic has a plan to drill out the hole and replace the pin with a larger one just as you suggested. I am the financial backer on our projects and he attends to the details. Thanks again for extending your Honda CRV comraderie to me. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts