Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would make a thread for little hidden gems that you find in your CRV so that you can share with others.

To kick things off I found a handy little pocket in the lower dash above my left knee.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great thread. I'm curious to see what other people post. What do you keep in the little spot over your left knee? I'm a little dissapointed in the storage space so I'm trying to figure out what will fit there. In my old car, there was a little drawer in that spot which was great for keeping spare change and money for tolls. I don't really think that little spot will work for that as it would probably spill out. I'm trying to find a little change purse that will fit in there but so far, haven't found anything.

I do like the little mirror on the overhead sunglass holder for keeping an eye on the backseat

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same little pocket in my old car. I would put my various gate access cards there or my apartments gate remote. It was convenient. I no longer have the gate cards and my remote is too large for this little cubby area, so I'm also curious about what others may store there.

One gem I've discovered is the second button under the handle on the rear hatch. I knew about the larger button to open the hatch, but I didn't know about the second smaller button to the right of that that will lock the vehicle. I would usually walk around to the front doors and push that button or I would use the key fob. It helps to read the manual it would seem, ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
2nd button? Must be on the EX and higher?

I had the same cubby in my Civic and used it for change and never had it fall out. You could always lay some soft material in there to dampen so the coins don't bounce (I never had them bounce, nor did I hear them, but I also had my garage door opener on top of them).

·
Registered
32 Posts
The tonneau cover when not in use can be stowed away in opening of the cargo area. The tonneau in this stowed position can be pulled up vertically and locked in place where you could store small grocery bags items or items you want to hide from prying eyes between the tonneau cover and the rear hatch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is interesting. Can you share a picture of the cover stowed?

The tonneau cover when not in use can be stowed away in opening of the cargo area. The tonneau in this stowed position can be pulled up vertically and locked in place where you could store small grocery bags items or items you want to hide from prying eyes between the tonneau cover and the rear hatch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you even find that out and how did you do it? Could I transfer an image from my iphone?

You can change the wallpaper on your central large screen.

Need a thumb drive to transfer it from your PC.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
How did you even find that out and how did you do it? Could I transfer an image from my iphone?
Not sure if you can transfer an image direct from your iphone to wallpaper. But you can move picture from iphone to your cpu desktop and from there move it to a flash drive. Follow you manual instructions for next steps and the sizing is important. Another thread on this club addresses sizing. Our manuals covers lots in this regards.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yes, there could be more storage for our goodies in the '15 CR-V.

I like to have info readily available, i.e. insurance card, license plate registration. So I place those items into a plastic sleeve that is just big enough to hold them. Then I placed velcro onto one side of that sleeve and the velcro mate onto the inside of the lid of the center console. That keeps those out of sight and always close by.

Another use for velcro, for us that did not buy a Touring model, is to mount the remote garage door opener inside the flipdown sunglass holder, placing velcro on the back of that and the mate onto the back of the opener. One caution on that is that it made a rattle and I had to modify the garage door opener case that caused it. Believe me it was one of those rattles I could not figure out for a while. Finally I thought back to when there used to be no rattle and then when it started. What changed, yep, it was the opener causing the rattle. You may or may not have a rattle from your opener, I did but solved that. It makes for a very handy place to keep and use the opener, just push to drop down the compartment and push the opener button! Hope this helps. ...Velcro is my Friend!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
2nd button? Must be on the EX and higher?

I had the same cubby in my Civic and used it for change and never had it fall out. You could always lay some soft material in there to dampen so the coins don't bounce (I never had them bounce, nor did I hear them, but I also had my garage door opener on top of them).
I also put my garage door opener in that on my 09 Civic. I took velcro though and stuck it to the top of the cubby. Was out of the way, totally accessible, kinda hidden from theives and the rest of the pocket is still usable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My hidden gems:

1. Speedometer and MPG instrumentation are precise. My Toyotas and previous vehicles were always reading several percent high. I compared speed to gps, and am tracking mileage and gas fills on my smartphone.

2. Transformers style rear seats that fold down with one lever pull with no electric power.

3. Is almost 2 feet shorter than my previous Sienna minivan, meaning more room in the garage, and the hatch can be raise with the garage door closed.

Tim

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Will this work even if you have a cargo tray in the back?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
....or cut it. Yikes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's 2 positions to stow away the tonneau cover, in the vid he said to use the upper position as opposed to the lower position. The cover squishes the cargo tray a little but it fits.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am not sure whether this is a hidden gem but I realized that the wipers are speed controlled. Say its raining heavy and your wipers are working at full speed , you stop on a traffic light, voila the speed of the wipers will slow down as well automatically instead of you manually doing it ... great feature !!! :)

Also the rear wipers work automatically as soon as you hit reverse and have your front wipers on !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks much for the mentions of the second button on the rear hatch and the alternate positioning of the shade cover in the cargo area. I did not know about these two features!

Here's one I discovered on a long drive and didn't notice when I skimmed the owner's manual: we all know the left steering wheel control with left/right arrows tunes to the next preset station of your SiriusXM radio. But did you know that a long press on one of these arrows takes you to the next up/down SiriusXM station (that is, not a preset station)? This is a great way to pass time and slowly work your way through the 100+ channels to see what is on!

Peter

1 - 20 of 216 Posts