Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I just purchased a 2007 crv ex-l with 231,000. Yes, you read this correctly. It was listed as $3,995 because there was some minor issues that I knew that I could fix myself. And the couple of things that I would have to pay to have fixed aren’t a big deal as they do not effect how the car runs. The radio code error was on & I fixed it first. The tire pressure light is on and they disclosed that one sensors bad. The air/heat had issues. I had a cabin filter from my previous CRV so when I changed it I noticed nuts and dirt it in. I took out the blower motor and it had nuts in it so I fixed that. The AC needs to be rechiand I know someone who typically does this for $30. The arm rests are worn and I’m consider Ming getting a few fixed. I’m completely amazed so far at how well this CRV runs considering the mileage. So I’m curious how many people out there have high mileage on there’s and what issues did you have? The dealership replaced the struts and changed the oil. The tires have less than 20k mileage on them. Brakes and rotors are good. I had a local Honda dealer take a quick peak at it and I got 2 thumbs up. I’m hoping this CRV will run as it is for another 100k miles. I get that I will have to replace things here or there like spark plugs, starter, etc but what are some common issues that you have encountered or things to take note of? This CRV so far runs as good as my 2010 with 119k miles and seems to be in as good mechanical shape than the 2010 from what I can tell so far. The 2010 just had a few minor things come up that I fixed and a few rattles and the starter but nothing major. I sold my 2010. I liked it but just needed the money at the time.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I can't help on the high mileage thing, I just recently got my '07 with 92k on it. But I can add a few things. The original owner had the front struts replaced at 65k. Brakes done at about 80k. I had the AC flushed and recharged. It was about a pound low, but it holds less than two pounds total, so I'd say that's not a serious leak over the life of the car so far. A 30 minute leak check showed no leak-down. Two months later it still runs ice cold. Of course, I'll keep an eye on that, since it is critical where I live. It's on its third set of tires, but I don't know if the tp sensors have ever been replaced, only that they are good right now. No issues otherwise so far, except that I checked and it did come up on the airbag recall list, so it's on my list to get that addressed soon. Otherwise, the front passenger door lock actuator needs replacing. I have it and will try to get it in this week. I got the replacement driver door armrest leather cover off eBay for about $32, and the center armrest ones for about $26 on Amazon. No other issues so far. Change all your fluids and drive it! And keep us in the loop on how it's going.

And, oh, yeah - we are going to need to see pictures!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2006 has 217k and has had (*knock on wood*) pretty much no issues. Other than tires, brakes, and headlights, it's been amazing.
I think I changed an O2 sensor back at like 70k, but that's been it. Also the rear door hinge corroded at like 150k, but that was a cheap and easy fix.
And that's been it!
And almost all of those winters have been in the snow and salt of Maine.

Best of luck to you and your CRV!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The AC needing recharge was an issue with my family’s 06 accord so I’m pretty sure that’s the same issue with the crv. Also the blower motor was running loud. It wasn’t loud on low. I watched a you tube video and checked around on prices. I took out the air filter and I saw an acorn. I took out the blower motor and it had 5 acorns in it. I dumped them in the trash and stuck it back in. Boom! Problem solved!! I also saw a video to use wd40 on headlights to remove the film. I’ve already tried toothpaste and vinegar and baking soda. They helped but I’m going to try wd40 next because I’ve heard it works better. We got 4-5 inches of snow in TN last night. First time in the snow in this thing. I did slide a little bit I didn’t get stuck. There was a small dodge suv stuck and some front wheel drive cars stuck but I just carried on without any issues. It runs and drives great! Honda’s are amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information. My 2010 crv had similar issues to yours minus the o2 sensor. These are just minor maintenance things. Please keep me posted on how it does. There’s one very small rust spot inside the door panel that I can fix. Someone nicked it with something and didn’t cover up the metal. It will be fine. Thanks for responding

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just picked up a 2010 with 93K and now I am at 101K. So far I have done some of the things that I normally do when I get a new car so I can set a baseline. So far I have changed or fixed:

oil
spark plugs
serpentine belt
belt tensionor
O-ring on power steering pump line
battery
engine air filter
outer tie rod ends
new motor mount
upper and lower engine torque arms

Things that I have added for my own convenience:
OEM CR-V all weather rubber floor mats
auto dim with HomeLink rearview mirror
OEM foglights
bi-xenon headlight kit

Things still left to get:
rear roof wing
driver door arm rest cover
some sort of sat/nav system while keeping the OEM subwoofer working
suspension (shocks and struts, probably going coilovers)
front window tint
larger wheels and tires(current tires are still plenty good)

Other than these few things, the car runs like a champ and I really enjoy driving it and look forward to many more miles.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
snl_2010_crv - Nice Looking ride! Looks like a squirrel got into your squirrel cage literally! Forget the WD-40, go get the 3M headlight restoration kit. A couple of hours of manual labor and you will be good.

fnjeep314 - Wow that's a long list for only 93k. Though not that long, I suppose. On my first trip to the grocery store somebody hit my driver side outside mirror and broke it. so I got the shell for that. My car came with the splash guards, full rack and rails, and the Curt 2" receiver hitch. I've gotten in for it the arm rest covers for doors and seats, body side moldings, the fog light kit, and Weathertech mats. I plan to order the tailgate spoiler this month. But it's been raining here for the entire time I've had the car, and now winter is here, so not sure when I will get all this stuff installed. I also plan full audio upgrade in the Spring, along with sound deadening.

Interestingly, mine came with 18" wheels and tires, the tires are 255/55/r18'S. They fit fine but ride rough and are noisy/loud. You can see what the wheels are below. I like the look, but that tire size is way more expensive. If you were nearby I'd certainly swap you for the OEM alloys. I prefer a quiet smooth ride. I'm a retired truck driver, and I've had a lifetime of big noisy stiff tires.

What can you tell me about the bi-xenon headlight kit - I'd like to know more. How are they working out?

Here's my car:

2007 CR-V 009.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
snl_2010_crv - Nice Looking ride! Looks like a squirrel got into your squirrel cage literally! Forget the WD-40, go get the 3M headlight restoration kit. A couple of hours of manual labor and you will be good.

fnjeep314 - Wow that's a long list for only 93k. Though not that long, I suppose. On my first trip to the grocery store somebody hit my driver side outside mirror and broke it. so I got the shell for that. My car came with the splash guards, full rack and rails, and the Curt 2" receiver hitch. I've gotten in for it the arm rest covers for doors and seats, body side moldings, the fog light kit, and Weathertech mats. I plan to order the tailgate spoiler this month. But it's been raining here for the entire time I've had the car, and now winter is here, so not sure when I will get all this stuff installed. I also plan full audio upgrade in the Spring, along with sound deadening.

Interestingly, mine came with 18" wheels and tires, the tires are 255/55/r18'S. They fit fine but ride rough and are noisy/loud. You can see what the wheels are below. I like the look, but that tire size is way more expensive. If you were nearby I'd certainly swap you for the OEM alloys. I prefer a quiet smooth ride. I'm a retired truck driver, and I've had a lifetime of big noisy stiff tires.

What can you tell me about the bi-xenon headlight kit - I'd like to know more. How are they working out?

Here's my car:

View attachment 127503
Wow, Larry, you got a a few of the things that I wanting to do eventually too, like the roof cross bars and hitch, but those are not on the horizon for awhile. Still trying to fix little things. Mine was a 3(but really 2 owner) car. The original and then a little old lady owned it till she died and the car went to her daughter(for about 9 months) who I bought it from. So in my list of things, were things that were not replaced or the little old lady didnt want or know had to be replaced. The daughter that I bought it from told me that the CRV was horrible to pass anyone on the highway. Well after the test drive I knew that some mount(s) needed to be replaces and when I was told that, I knew that was my first thing to replace. What an improvement! So I just kept going from there to establish a base line of what has been done so I know where I stand on maintenacne. Now the next big thing is going to be suspension. The rears leak and the fronts are getting soft. So I think I am going to do coilovers for a more sprinted driving experience.

As far as the xenon kit goes, Ill have to let you know next week as the kit doesnt show up till this Thursday. This is the kit that I got. Ive used DDM before and they have always been good for me.
CLICK ME

Also What kind of tires are on your CRV? They could be the reason that your ride is so rough, especially if they are older. Maybe try new tires and see if that softens up your ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a 2008 about 8 months ago with 223,000 miles on it. It was a local purchase new, and the dealer had done the work for it's life. Even all the fluid changes (other than oil)! Runs good, gets around 23 MPG and survived a deer hit better than I expected a few months ago. I watch oil color and fuel economy for general health changes. So far, I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Wow, Larry, you got a a few of the things that I wanting to do eventually too, like the roof cross bars and hitch, but those are not on the horizon for awhile. Still trying to fix little things. Mine was a 3(but really 2 owner) car. The original and then a little old lady owned it till she died and the car went to her daughter(for about 9 months) who I bought it from. So in my list of things, were things that were not replaced or the little old lady didnt want or know had to be replaced. The daughter that I bought it from told me that the CRV was horrible to pass anyone on the highway. Well after the test drive I knew that some mount(s) needed to be replaces and when I was told that, I knew that was my first thing to replace. What an improvement! So I just kept going from there to establish a base line of what has been done so I know where I stand on maintenacne. Now the next big thing is going to be suspension. The rears leak and the fronts are getting soft. So I think I am going to do coilovers for a more sprinted driving experience.

As far as the xenon kit goes, Ill have to let you know next week as the kit doesnt show up till this Thursday. This is the kit that I got. Ive used DDM before and they have always been good for me.
CLICK ME

Also What kind of tires are on your CRV? They could be the reason that your ride is so rough, especially if they are older. Maybe try new tires and see if that softens up your ride.
The tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S 255/55/R18's and yes, they are a bit stiff, but I'm getting used to them. Noisy, but wearing well and the size does look great on the car. Still, I'd like to find a set of stock wheels and go back to a 17" tire. These 18's are so expensive I can buy the stock wheels and tire size for less than just the price of the 18" tires. They are literally more than 50% higher in price! I am not that invested in appearance, eh? I do like the wheels, but not that much. Either way, I will go with Michelins when I switch. The Pirellis:

2007 CR-V 020.jpg

On the headlights, I'll pass on the HID ones. If I switch it will be to LEDs. Other stuff - after I sell my truck I will do a major audio upgrade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I have a 2007 Crv with 234,000 miles. I was hoping to drive it to 300,000 miles, but recently there is a rattle under the hood and my mechanic identified it as in he engine, low, near the oil pan, probably a gear. I'm really sad as I have loved this car. During the ten years I have driven it I have replaced air compressor, battery, tires and brakes of course, starter. But all in all I have been very happy with and I'm mourning its passing! Yours should go to 300,000!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S 255/55/R18's and yes, they are a bit stiff, but I'm getting used to them. Noisy, but wearing well and the size does look great on the car. Still, I'd like to find a set of stock wheels and go back to a 17" tire. These 18's are so expensive I can buy the stock wheels and tire size for less than just the price of the 18" tires. They are literally more than 50% higher in price! I am not that invested in appearance, eh? I do like the wheels, but not that much. Either way, I will go with Michelins when I switch. The Pirellis:

View attachment 129503

On the headlights, I'll pass on the HID ones. If I switch it will be to LEDs. Other stuff - after I sell my truck I will do a major audio upgrade.
As an update, I found and picked up a set of OEM stock 2010-11 Wheels for $200. But I decided to go ahead first and run these Pirellis down, so the new Michelins will wait a bit. The wheels I got:

2007 CR-V 024.jpg

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi. I have a 2007 Crv with 234,000 miles. I was hoping to drive it to 300,000 miles, but recently there is a rattle under the hood and my mechanic identified it as in he engine, low, near the oil pan, probably a gear. I'm really sad as I have loved this car. During the ten years I have driven it I have replaced air compressor, battery, tires and brakes of course, starter. But all in all I have been very happy with and I'm mourning its passing! Yours should go to 300,000!
Dana, this sounds like it could easily be just a timing chain or tensioner. Not a cheap repair, but if you're willing to spend that money the car would likely go much further down the road for you. You could ask your mechanic for an estimate. A new chain, tensioner, guides, and associated parts (not counting a water pump if needed) look to be about $300 or so, plus labor. I'd guess $6-700? If it's more than that you might need a new mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dana, I sure hope you can get your baby fixed! I have a 2008 CR-V with 221,000 miles. Basic maintenance (tires, brakes, tune up, oil changes, etc.)...Only other thing was the air compressor recently....I am tossing around the idea of selling this and getting a newer CR-V, but with reading all of these great posts and the durability of the CR-Vs, I may have to wake up and smell the coffee...Best of luck with your baby!

Doug (Pottsville, PA) 2008 CR-V LX Green Tea Metallic / 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 Lariat SLT 4x2, 117,000 miles

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Dana, I sure hope you can get your baby fixed! I have a 2008 CR-V with 221,000 miles. Basic maintenance (tires, brakes, tune up, oil changes, etc.)...Only other thing was the air compressor recently....I am tossing around the idea of selling this and getting a newer CR-V, but with reading all of these great posts and the durability of the CR-Vs, I may have to wake up and smell the coffee...Best of luck with your baby!
A friend of mine just bought an '07 with 68k miles on it, in immaculate condition. He is now set for a good long while. I would do something like this (as, in fact, that is exactly what I did do!) before I would buy a late model. That's just me, of course, I prefer to pay cash and have no payment, and I am of the opinion that older is better. There's not a new vehicle on the market I would buy anyway, as I would not trust it, and I certainly would not pay the big bucks anyway. It's just not worth it to me. Other reasons are that I will never choose to own a car with a CVT or a turbo, and I have no desire to be saddled with problems from a bunch of what I consider to be unnecessary and worthless electronic gimmickry. Simpler is better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrat OP on the purchase, IMO 2007-2011 is best model years for the CRV. Mine is a 2008 with 137K on the clock and running strong with regular maintenance. Hope it will serves you well for long time.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am tossing around the idea of selling this and getting a newer CR-V, but with reading all of these great posts and the durability of the CR-Vs, I may have to wake up and smell the coffee...
I know. You're probably better off nursing your 3rd generation CR-V as long as you can. I've thrown a lot of money and replacement parts at both of our '09s, but have only been stranded once (when the starter gave out.) Otherwise, my own '09 has been on five long road trips with no issues that left me stranded.

The 5th gen CR-Vs are a trainwreck of serious problems. No way I will ever own one.

My only long-term worry for our 3rd gens is the corrosion issue in the rear, where a hunk of the unibody support rusts out and your lower arm comes loose. There is a recall in Canada for it, but none here. (They are buying back CR-Vs that have the problem.) Two members here have already had it happen, and it can't be repaired since it is very labor intensive and would exceed the value of the CR-V to fix. I'm already worried enough about our blue '09 since for some reason, it has a lot more rust underneath than mine, so I've been shopping around already.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rust problem Wildcat. Have you try to call Honda Corporate Hotline for advise? Im sure there are plenty of people have the same problem that may have called.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rust problem Wildcat. Have you try to call Honda Corporate Hotline for advise? Im sure there are plenty of people have the same problem that may have called.
I don't think ours is near a critical stage, but, this '09 appears to have lived a harder life than the one I drive. I am keeping a close eye on that rear suspension though. They looked OK last year when I replaced the struts (as I had to unbolt that part from the chassis) but, rust can happen quickly once it starts.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not high mileage, but relatively older car....My 2011 CR-V SE 2wd (bought new in late 2010) only has 75K miles and is still going strong. Very solid car, no squeaks or rattles. Engine/trans still as smooth as day 1. Only problem was the CD changer jammed up...replaced it with an aftermarket unit with touchscreen. The ride seems a little bouncy, may need to replace struts soon.
Nonetheless, likely replace it in the next couple of years. Wife likes to get a hybrid with all her miles of driving. Look into a CRV hybrid or RAV4 hybrid.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts