Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don’t know why no one has replied to you but I have a 2013 with 210k miles on it and I burn even more than you. Every Honda I have had with over 150k miles has done this. If you idle in one spot long enough you will see oil drip out with some water. I don’t see smoke either. I consider this normal. I haven’t replaced anything in my CRV. Only battery, tires, wipers and 1 set of brake pads. Not one bulb no other liquids changed. Added about 1 quart of coolant. I drive mostly on hwys. I am driving 55k miles a year. These vehicles are awesome. Drive it until the wheels fall off. Just keep an eye on it and oil in your trunk. You can spend thousands trying to get it like new or just drive it. Anytime I get a job with lots of driving back to Honda I go. They are awesome. I make money off of this car. Do not change to different oil. Only what is recommended by manufacturer. I use Mobile 1 0-20. It came from the factory with semi-synthetic but synthetic is OK with this engine. Buy gallon of oil from Walmart and filter from dealer. Filters are another case for arguments. I just stick with Honda since they test them with theirs. Good luck and don’t worry.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
High oil consumption is considered using one quart of oil every 1,000. Not just by Honda, but by others as well. My Civic has fouled oil rings and goes through at least one quart every tankful of gas. Piston ring soak did nothing, as expected. My '09 can go its entire oil change without needing to be topped off; the other '09 in the house may need half a quart during that time. Most other Hondas I've owned used at least a quart or two between oil changes.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Our RAV4 owner's manual says 1.1 quarts/600 miles is acceptable.

I'm puzzled why post #2 says "I burn even more than you" when post #1 does not say how much oil he burns.o_O

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just posted in another thread - We have a 2010 CR-V with about 101,100 miles and had a rattling noise and low oil pressure light show. Dipstick showed no oil, bone dry. Took 3 quarts to get it to the top hole on the dipstick. Oil change was done at 96,8xx on 10/15/19. So, 4300 miles approx and burned thru 3 quarts - no bueno! Sigh

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I just posted in another thread - We have a 2010 CR-V with about 101,100 miles and had a rattling noise and low oil pressure light show. Dipstick showed no oil, bone dry. Took 3 quarts to get it to the top hole on the dipstick. Oil change was done at 96,8xx on 10/15/19. So, 4300 miles approx and burned thru 3 quarts - no bueno! Sigh
If this happened suddenly, I would tend to think it's not so much oil consumption as it is a leak. Valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals, even the VTEC solenoid might be culprits. And oddly on my '09, I would have a leaking oil filter only if I used the Fram brand. Mobil 1 filters? Dry. Oil consumption (and even leaks) tend to creep up gradually over time.

BTW, Honda's spec for excess oil consumption is when you use more than one quart per 1,000 miles. Three quarts over 4,300 miles is within that spec. Other manufacturers have similar oil consumption limits, not just Honda. Although I do agree it's not idea--my '09 goes an entire oil change and loses maybe half a quart at the most; our other '09 uses a little more, where I might have to touch it up with a half quart between oil changes. The Civic, on the other hand uses at least one quart of oil per tankful of gas (fouled oil rings).

·
Registered
43 Posts
If this happened suddenly, I would tend to think it's not so much oil consumption as it is a leak. Valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals, even the VTEC solenoid might be culprits. And oddly on my '09, I would have a leaking oil filter only if I used the Fram brand. Mobil 1 filters? Dry. Oil consumption (and even leaks) tend to creep up gradually over time.
Its the craziest thing - I looked over all this actually except for spark plug wells and nothing! Bone dry garage floor as well. I am going to replace PCV valve to be safe and may do plugs as well and can check at that time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts