Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Sadly my first post on this forum, is not a good one.
I have a 60 plate CR-V ES-T I-DTEC.
Full service history and a major service done 3 weeks ago with 62,000 miles.

Yesterday, I drove the car and it juddered slightly (as in a too higher gear) and then there was a tapping from the engine at 40mph. I eased off and it did it again so I depressed the clutch
pedal and it did the same.
Then white / blue smoke just poured from the exhaust. I stopped immediately. Total journey distance 3/4 mile. Oil level on the dip stick was 3/4
I managed to tow the car upto the local Honda dealer in Grantham Lincolnshire (UK)
Two friends suggested valve stem seal problem.
Well today I contacted Honda. At the time of the meeting, they were 90% sure that the fuel system had failed as there was swarf in the fuel tank.
He has quoted me £6500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to get it fixed!!!!
Or £3000 with non genuine parts.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
Sven

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well, I honestly don't see the fuel system causing white/blue smoke. Too much fuel usually results in black smoke. Blue smoke from oil and white smoke from water/coolant. Without actually being able to look at it and based on your description, I would suspect the head gasket failed. But that is purely an educated guess.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by 'swarf' in the fuel system, but it would seem to me that that service at 62k should have some kind of warranty with it.
Did it include replacement of the fuel filter?

I agree with BDub, it sounds more like a head gasket leak to me. I've read there are chemicals you can add to the coolant to test for exhaust gas residue in the coolant which would help with a proper diagnosis.
Good luck and please report back with the findings/solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts