Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does higher octane gas improve performance AND gas mileage? If so, does the increase in fuel efficiency offset the increase in price per gallon? I'm really interested to see if anyone has done any research regarding this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In a CR-V, no. You will pay more and LOSE fuel economy. Put the specified grade into every car.

If a vehicle says "Regular Unleaded", put it in.

If a vehicle says "Premium Fuel ONLY", put it in.

If a vehicle says "Premium Fuel Recommended" ... now you have a choice. Premium is needed for higher performance. Regular or Plus is fine (won't cause damage), but you will lose performance and generally you will also lose fuel economy.

Fuel ratings have to do with compression. The higher the compression design, the more need for higher octane.

The funny part ... Plus (mid-grade) is the largest volume in my area and not a single car requires (or needs) it. Folks just think it is a "good compromise" and therefore purchase it.

Now, I do highly recommend that you choose a "Top Tier" gasoline from a newer station. Federal law has "minimum detergency standards" for fuels. Most cheaper gasolines meet those standards with no desire to move beyond. Most better fuels (Top Tier) exceed those standards. A new station is better due to tank condition, pump hoses, filters, etc. being in generally better shape with little chance of contaminates. Detergents are important for keeping your engine clean inside - which in turn keeps efficiency higher.

The same applies to ALL fluids, components, service intervals, etc. for a given vehicle ... abide by manufacturer's specifications, they know what they are doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts