Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My UK 2006 (2nd Gen) CR-V shows normal tyre pressures (front and rear) and higher pressures when pulling a trailer. This is according to the picture in the door jamb. I use Bridgestone Duellers.

Seems clear enough but I am beginning to wonder whether this to be taken literally, ie do I not need to increase the pressure unless I am pulling a trailer? Or is the trailer simply a stoopid pictorial way of telling me to increase pressure when carrying extra weight at the back?

All my other cars have indicated higher pressure when fully loaded at the back. I don't understand the relevance of pulling a trailer. Does this add extra weight to the rear axle? is this a 4x4 thing?

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
My UK 2006 (2nd Gen) CR-V shows normal tyre pressures (front and rear) and higher pressures when pulling a trailer. This is according to the picture in the door jamb. I use Bridgestone Duellers.

Seems clear enough but I am beginning to wonder whether this to be taken literally, ie do I not need to increase the pressure unless I am pulling a trailer? Or is the trailer simply a stoopid pictorial way of telling me to increase pressure when carrying extra weight at the back?

All my other cars have indicated higher pressure when fully loaded at the back. I don't understand the relevance of pulling a trailer. Does this add extra weight to the rear axle? is this a 4x4 thing?
What does it say in your owners manual? There should be something under the section on tires for proper inflation that would give more detail than the picture in the door jam.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The tongue (front part that has the hitch coupler) of the trailer normally weighs between 10-20% of the total trailer weight. So if you have a 1000kg trailer, there will be 100-200kg of weight on the rear axle of the vehcile, just hte same as though you have 100-200kg of luggage in the trunk.

The added load may require higher tire pressures to compensate for changes in handling characterisics fro mteh added weight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for delay in responding. The owners manual does not provide any advice - it simply refers to the door jamb sticker.

The sticker recommends 29/30 lbs for front/rear and then recommends increasing the rears to 32 lbs when pulling a trailer.

Presumably I should increase the pressure on the rears when fully loaded with passengers and luggage at the back? The loading on the rear axle should be the same whether the weight represents luggage in the boot or a trailer?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sorry for delay in responding. The owners manual does not provide any advice - it simply refers to the door jamb sticker.

The sticker recommends 29/30 lbs for front/rear and then recommends increasing the rears to 32 lbs when pulling a trailer.

Presumably I should increase the pressure on the rears when fully loaded with passengers and luggage at the back? The loading on the rear axle should be the same whether the weight represents luggage in the boot or a trailer?
The position of the weight is different with a trailer tongue, vs. passengers and cargo. The tongue weight is applied at a point almost 1 meter behidn the rear axle. The weight of the rear passengers is just over or just in front of the rear axle. and cargo are over the rear axle or perhaps only 0.5M behind the rear axle. A trailer actually levers weight off the front axle, which further increases the affect of the weight.

Also, there are lateral forces applied to the rear axles due to trailer sway. This can also increase rear tire loads.

Finally, consider that the trailer tongue is located at point that is level or even just below the rear axle. This has the effect of increasing axle load when braking and counteracting braking forces. So the rear tires will supply much more braking force when towing. Passnegers and cargo are located much higher, so when braking then furhter increase front tire loading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts