Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just need to vent...on my way to work this morning something I didn't see came from who knows where and hit the rear underside of my V with a loud thud. It freaked me out because it was totally unexpected.

There was a truck way ahead of me but too far to have kicked anything my way. I turned off the music to listen for any weird sounds and when I got off the highway opened my window. Didn't notice anything. The car ran fine and when I got to work about 10 minutes later I took a look underneath from the side and rear of the car and couldn't see anything obvious and didn't notice any leaks.

I plan on taking the V in to the dealer for some window tinting in a week and will ask them to take a look. I may have them balance the tires too.

This stuff just just really pisses me off, especially with a new car. A normal hazard of car ownership but I just needed to vent.

Happy Hump Day!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just need to vent...on my way to work this morning something I didn't see came from who knows where and hit the rear underside of my V with a loud thud. It freaked me out because it was totally unexpected.

There was a truck way ahead of me but too far to have kicked anything my way. I turned off the music to listen for any weird sounds and when I got off the highway opened my window. Didn't notice anything. The car ran fine and when I got to work about 10 minutes later I took a look underneath from the side and rear of the car and couldn't see anything obvious and didn't notice any leaks.

I plan on taking the V in to the dealer for some window tinting in a week and will ask them to take a look. I may have them balance the wheels too.

This stuff just just really pisses me off, especially with a new car. A normal hazard of car ownership but I just needed to vent.

Happy Hump Day!

I know the feeling, especially people who don't tie down the crap off of their trucks, you try dodging a mattress or a wooden table in pieces on the road going 55 MPH without traction control or anti-lock brakes.(So much fun doing it with my 89 corolla or swerving in general /sarcasm) The cars in front of you start swerving and then you realize why before you are even on the brakes. The RAV4 VSC saved me a few times on the highway.. especially since if slam on the brakes on the highway you risk getting rear ended, better to find an open lane and swerve.. That is why I always prefer lanes closes to the shoulder so if you do have to dodge something you can pick the shoulder lane as a safe bet.

Speaking of road hazzards, the most annoying things I have encountered so far with my CRV are dump trucks that drop small rocks and sand on the road, just yesterday I was on the passing lane and in the middle lane was a DOT truck, just as I got close to it, it decided that was the time to release the salt and dirt mixture to treat the roads :mad: You can imagine the salt, sand and rocks crashing on the front and window of the CRV.. I had to floor it to pass it..

The loud thump is probably just the plastic under carriage for aerodynamics whatever it was must have crashed into it. Though I don't think it did any damage you might see a small scratch or dent.

Good luck and hope no damage!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
What's even worse is hearing a loud cracking sound on your windshield!!!!!!!

Thank god you were driving a super reliable Honda! ;o)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,549 Posts
I did an oil change over the weekend. Found one of my exhaust heat shields bent back at a 90 degree angle. :mad:

It's been a tough winter. News reports say there are 50% more potholes in our area roads so far, than ALL of last year. NO WONDER stuff falls off people's cars!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of road hazzards, the most annoying things I have encountered so far with my CRV are dump trucks that drop small rocks and sand on the road, just yesterday I was on the passing lane and in the middle lane was a DOT truck, just as I got close to it, it decided that was the time to release the salt and dirt mixture to treat the roads :mad: You can imagine the salt, sand and rocks crashing on the front and window of the CRV.. I had to floor it to pass it..
Ugh.... Luckily down here we don't have that problem just regular construction trucks letting gravel loose on the highway. Just makes me crazy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did an oil change over the weekend. Found one of my exhaust heat shields bent back at a 90 degree angle. :mad:

It's been a tough winter. News reports say there are 50% more potholes in our area roads so far, than ALL of last year. NO WONDER stuff falls off people's cars!
Wow...I should consider myself lucky. We pretty much don't have potholes down here unless you are in the beach communities that get flooded during rain storms. Hope you guys have warm weather soon!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Piece of sheet metal on I95 in Providence RI punched a hole in my motorcycle oil filter half a dozen years ago. I don't feel nearly so susceptible in the cage.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I remember once when a 3-1/2" PVC pipe fitting came flying off a plumbing truck. 405 fwy South Bay Curve, south bound, 3:15pm 65-70mph just before the rush hour crush hit. Scratched the windshield of my '02 Accord right in my line of sight. I thought it was going to come thru the windshield and there was no where for me to go to dodge it. I had to live with that scratch for a long time.

·
Registered
588 Posts

I plan on taking the V in to the dealer for some window tinting in a week and will ask them to take a look. I may have them balance the wheels too.

Happy Hump Day!

This forum is a good place to vent. A few years ago on the way to work, I saw a big rock in the street and it was too late to avoid it. It came in to my view to late. When I went over it is made a terrible noise so I pulled over and the rock had punctured my oil pan and oil was leaking out. Well, I drove on to work and I had a tow truck ake my car to my mechanic and he fixed the hole. I can't remember if he welded it shut, but he got it taken care of. It was my 1977 Chevy Nova and it is like a tank, it always comes through. Now with my new CRV, I want to be extra careful. My new baby is higher from the road than my Chevy sedan. Oh and the rock in the road.......when I drove by there again, there was new construction on a home with various trucks in the driveway. Guess they didn't see that rock that was left in the road. Wink, wink.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember once when a 3-1/2" PVC pipe fitting came flying off a plumbing truck. 405 fwy South Bay Curve, south bound, 3:15pm 65-70mph just before the rush hour crush hit. Scratched the windshield of my '02 Accord right in my line of sight. I thought it was going to come thru the windshield and there was no where for me to go to dodge it. I had to live with that scratch for a long time.
Jeez...glad it wasn't worse.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This forum is a good place to vent. A few years ago on the way to work, I saw a big rock in the street and it was too late to avoid it. It came in to my view to late. When I went over it is made a terrible noise so I pulled over and the rock had punctured my oil pan and oil was leaking out. Well, I drove on to work and I had a tow truck ake my car to my mechanic and he fixed the hole. I can't remember if he welded it shut, but he got it taken care of. It was my 1977 Chevy Nova and it is like a tank, it always comes through. Now with my new CRV, I want to be extra careful. My new baby is higher from the road than my Chevy sedan. Oh and the rock in the road.......when I drove by there again, there was new construction on a home with various trucks in the driveway. Guess they didn't see that rock that was left in the road. Wink, wink.
You just wish people would pay attention to detail.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Piece of sheet metal on I95 in Providence RI punched a hole in my motorcycle oil filter half a dozen years ago. I don't feel nearly so susceptible in the cage.
The horror stories we riders could tell about road hazards, eh? And that doesn't even include the furry hazards. :)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I once witnessed a guy on a BMW getting on the freeway. He was watching traffic coming up behind....when he turned around he found a big truck had just run over a piece of 4x4 wood that lay across his lane. The truck missed it but the rider couldn't so went right over it at about 55-60mph. I'm pretty sure it flattened his front tire as he quickly got off to the side of the road. I think he had tubeless tires on that model bike.
I'm pretty sure he needed a change of underwear after that one too. He was lucky he didn't go down.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The best 'road debris' story I have is this one though...
Going home from work (El Segundo>Fullerton at that time) one day I decided to take a different route as the 91 East was clogged with a wreck. So I take the San Diego to the Long Beach Fwy north in anticipation of going around the problem area. As I'm getting onto the LB Fwy, I notice cars up ahead stopping in all the lanes. As I look further up the road all of a sudden I see a fifth wheel come flying up above the overpass I'm headed for. I see it bounce a couple of times and go over the center divider into the south bound lanes, landing in the fast lane. As I creep ahead as traffic is clearing I see a guy at the side of the road with his head on his steering wheel, hands clasped at the top of the wheel. His windshield was smashed flat down to the steering wheel. A little further up the road is a trucker with half a semi load, looking in his mirror as if to say "Did I just loose my fifth wheel?". I was real glad I wasn't just two minutes earlier that day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Once, I was doing about 65 on the Washington DC beltway, when the beat up pick-up in front of me has it's rear cargo door open, and an incredible amount of soda cans come crashing into every part of the front. No damage, but nowhere to evade, the cans went everywhere.

Interestingly, the guy in the pickup floored it and took the first exit, then went back on the highway.

I went up to 90, but couldn't catch him, and didn't think there was any damage.

Another one, a wooden chair in the middle of the freeway, evaded it, at night.

And, a semi in front of me slammed into a piece of furniture, and we hit a piece of wood from that. Felt lucky, because if the truck didn't hit it, there could've been some real damage

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I saw a kamikaze Fly hit my windshield once! SPLAT!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts