Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring Sandstorm Metallic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just picked up a 2018 CRV Touring saturday. The only thing that i can't figure out is when you are driving at say 45 MPH, and start down a hill on the highway, to keep your speed at around 45, in my Pilot and Civic, I just tap the brake pedal and it holds that speed after releasing the brake pedal. I can't get the CRV to do that, it really picks up a lot of speed and I have to constantly brake. Is this normal on the CRV?

·
Registered
210 Posts
What is this? In some vehicles you can tap the brake pedal to keep a constant speed on a downhill? Is this with cruise control on? I'm not understanding this feature. I've never heard of this before.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would put it on a lower gear if it is very steep to engage engine breaking. I don't think the CRV have HDC (Hill Descent Control), at least don't remember reading about it in the manual.

CRV do have Hill Start Assist.

Taping the brake will disengage the cruise control.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
What is this? In some vehicles you can tap the brake pedal to keep a constant speed on a downhill? Is this with cruise control on? I'm not understanding this feature. I've never heard of this before.
I have never seen it either. Sounds like the brake pads would really take a beating if used like that. Although it's better to wear out the pads than the Tranny.

Rob

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi All,
Just picked up a 2018 CRV Touring saturday. The only thing that i can't figure out is when you are driving at say 45 MPH, and start down a hill on the highway, to keep your speed at around 45, in my Pilot and Civic, I just tap the brake pedal and it holds that speed after releasing the brake pedal. I can't get the CRV to do that, it really picks up a lot of speed and I have to constantly brake. Is this normal on the CRV?

Yes it's normal for your CRV. In ACC the CRV will modulate the brakes as required to maintain a set distance to the vehicle in front of you. But if there is no vehicle in front, the ACC will NOT apply the brakes to maintain your set speed.

If going too fast downhill, your options are: 1) shift to Sport mode (ACC remains active), or 2) shift to Low (cancels ACC), or 3) apply the brakes (cancels ACC). I usually have to apply the brakes as Sport and Low modes do not provide the amount of engine braking you get by gearing down with manual and auto transmissions.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi All,
I had a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that sensed if you were braking while descending a hill and it would downshift, but didn't automatically apply brakes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi All,
I believe the Pilot and the Civic (not the new ones) have the stepped automatic tranny so it has Grade Logic Control where the computer will figure out which gear it should be in for hills.

The CR-V has a CVT, therefore Grade Logic Control is not there. According to the press release, it states the “L” mode is “ideal for situations when additional engine braking is desired, such as mountainous driving”.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I believe the Pilot and the Civic (not the new ones) have the stepped automatic tranny so it has Grade Logic Control where the computer will figure out which gear it should be in for hills.

The CR-V has a CVT, therefore Grade Logic Control is not there. According to the press release, it states the “L” mode is “ideal for situations when additional engine braking is desired, such as mountainous driving”.
Both S and L work well for this. The fun thing is your can throw it into S at 75mph. It acts as a downshift, not a fixed gear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring Sandstorm Metallic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both S and L work well for this. The fun thing is your can throw it into S at 75mph. It acts as a downshift, not a fixed gear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, that is what I was talking about, the grade logic control. Really works well in the civic and pilot. I will try the S mode and see. Just did first highway trip from St. Louis to KC and Back, averaged 32 MPG. Not too bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very nice thread.
I've been using the hill start assist so many times... it's very helpful.

But I've never been in speed down hill driving condition...

Thanks for the tips guys! might gonna be useful one day..
:applause:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts