Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. Just picked up my 2018 EX-L. Long time Honda owner (02 Civic, 04 CRV, 08 Ridgeline, 13 Civic, 16 Accord, 18 CRV). I'm used to towing with my old Ridgeline. Obviously a class 3 and 5K max. I had a hitch installed on the new CRV. They installed a class 2, 1 1/4" receiver opening. Can someone please tell me why you would install a class 3 hitch on a CRV? Isn't that way beyond the vehicle towing capacity? Would it simply be for accessories? Also I was told I would be ok to use the CRV to launch and retrieve my boat (approx. 2000lbs). No road driving or towing, just to put it in the water in spring and pull it out in the fall. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
You might install a higher class hitch on the CR-V to get a 2" receiver. It won't affect how much you can tow.

Wether you're able to tow your boat out of the water would depend on how slippery the tow ramp is and how good your tires are.

·
Registered
351 Posts
As racoon said, some simply want the more common 2" receiver for various accessories vs using an adapter, which adds length and reduces actual weight capacity.

I have towed many trailers with my old 2004 CRV and one so far with my 18 V, but launching/retrieving boats is not something I would consider doing. At least not often.

Twice a year...eh....yeah I'd probably do it and using "L" trans mode only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks for the advice. It's a fairly level ramp with a gentle slope and the tires are brand new. In fact the stock tires didn't even have 30 kms on them before the new snow tires went on. I hate winter!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I went with the Curt #13397 2" for one reason......looks. The top of the 2" receiver fits up closer to the bumper facia than the 1 1/4" receiver. The 2" and 1 1/4" are the same distance from the bottom of the hitch opening to the ground. Therefore, the 1 1/4" has a larger gap between the top of the hitch and the bumper facia than the 2". Is the 2" overkill?.............big time, but it looks cleaner.:nod:

Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car Bumper part

According to Curt, the 2" hitch weighs only 1 LB more than than the 1 1/4".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts