Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend we drove our V 1100 miles from Friday and Monday. NC-PA and back. 4+ hours with 4 people and a dog plus stuff and bike on the back averaged 31mpg.

This was the first drive with the rack on the back of the V and it did so well. Pleased

·
Registered
7 Posts
This past weekend we drove our V 1100 miles from Friday and Monday. NC-PA and back. 4+ hours with 4 people and a dog plus stuff and bike on the back averaged 31mpg.

This was the first drive with the rack on the back of the V and it did so well. Pleased
What hitch mount did you use? And did you install it yourself? Looking to tackle this project myself

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
What hitch mount did you use? And did you install it yourself? Looking to tackle this project myself
Curt makes hitches for our CR-Vs, and I put one on my '09 rather easily. One tip I can give you is to get a tap to clean out the threads prior to installing the bolts for the rack, although your '16 is much newer than my '09, so you may not need it. Otherwise, you can probably tackle it yourself, although having a floor jack or an extra set of hands to help hold it up while you attach the first bolts in it is helpful. I purchased a hitch with a 2-inch receiver, just to have more flexibility.

I also bought the Curt wiring harness adapter and installed it, along with a MaxxHaul 70067 adjustable ball mount and a couple of different-sized trailer balls, in case I need to do some light-duty towing.

I went with a Thule 990XT DoubleTrack bike rack. I did have a problem with two of the bolts stripping rather easily while assembling it, but I replaced them with stainless steel bolts from the local Home Depot or Lowe's and it has been fine. (And it was only those two--all the others were fine. Just a fluke!) I also had to modify one of the top ratcheting brackets to accommodate a step-through bike frame and hold it properly, but it was only a matter of drilling two new holes and moving that part of the bracket down--simple job! It is designed for a 1¼" receiver, but comes with a rattle-free 2" adapter that secures it tightly. The rack is sturdy and folds up out of the way when it's not being used.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it from etrailer.com the draw Tite model. I bought the one with 1 1/4 opening . My dad helped me with the install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts