Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a few towing questions for all the Honda owners who have experience towing a trailer. I have a 2013 Honda CR-V ExL with AWD and just ordered, -and will soon be towing, a 5x5x10 wells cargo enclosed utility trailer to travel to nearby art shows in the Midwest (flat land) only about about 20-30 days a year
(10-15 art shows) The cargo trailer has an empty weight of 900 lbs, a Nosecone for better aerodynamics and will be fitted with electric brakes. I expect it to weigh in at 1800 lbs fully loaded and am aware that this will be about 300 lbs over Honda's towing capacity. The car itself, will be loaded within its 850 lb payload recommendation (including in this figure the trailer's tongue weight of what I read should be 10-15% of its loaded weight.) and will not be overweight.
I never had towed before and am concerned about going 300 lbs over Honda's towing capacity and would like to do/install everything possible that would help ensure that towing this trailer will be as "safe" as possible and not a white knuckle driving experience, or one that would cause significant harm to our CRV. I know that I should slow down, leave plenty of driving space, change fluids more frequently and up all the maintenance schedules. I was told by a few places that what I would need, (all that I would need) is just a receiver class 3 receiver with a 2"ball , a tekonsha prodigy P2 brake controller, and all the wiring, etc needed for connections. In my research, however, I found some recommendations, for adding a sway control to this basic set up and some recommending
a Reese's light duty WDH (weight distribution hitch) (part #66020) in addition to a friction sway control. Several places say that they don't recommend a WDH on a Honda because of its unibody construction....
Any advice for us? What hitch (hitches/ components) would you recommend that I install?
Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Considering this will be a regular routine for you, I would probably go ahead and invest in a transmission cooler from Honda.

Call a reputable trailer hitch place like etrailers.com in Missouri, explain your situation and ask their advice. They have knowledgeable people working the phones. I wonder if some of the things you mentioned may not be the best investment but I defer to the experts.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I would strongly suggest you upgrade to a larger vehicle to tow your trailer. Not only will it be safer, but your tow vehicle won't struggle. My wife and I upgraded our truck when she got into horses with a diesel and the difference is night and day with what we had before. Along with the ease of towing other loads that we haul regularly. A good example is a mountain grade where the truck would struggle. With the heavier duty truck I can travel at the highway speed of 70 mph with ease and still have plenty of power. Not saying you need a diesel to haul that little trailer, but I would suggest a small pickup or half ton pickup.

http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-tow-a-trailer.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts