Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
go to your local advance auto parts, auto zone, pep boys, or what ever auto parts store you have and get it from them unless you can find it for a better price, i got mine from autozone and it was $113 shipped to store, came with everything even a 2'' ball. they even lent me the tools to put it in sitting in their parking lot. i would do this because i got mine the day after i orderd it, and they take great care in shipping parts, since your part will be diliverd along with their retail products its handled better then some ups guy making his rounds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Which retailer is the best? I'm looking for price and good packaging.
I bought from Etrailer.. no real problem. A scratch were one flange poked through the box. That part of the hitch is under the car and a handy can of spray paint will touch it up just fine.

I painted my whole hitch a satin black on arrival as I thought the High Gloss black was too much of a contrast to the lower rear of the CR-V.

Will post picture when I mount the hitch ( Curt class III ).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Went with fastrackracks for a Curt #13555 class III hitch and got speedy delivery (free shipping) and a good price. As noted elsewhere, the shipping box (from Curt, not fasttrackracks) is not sturdy enough and the hitch was hanging out one end by the time UPS delivered it. No significant damage, just some paint scratches, but I e-mailed Curt about it anyway.

Took me about an hour to install and clean-up, working alone. Working with a partner would make this real easy. I had a struggle getting the center U-bolt hanger over the CRV's tow loop since it was too tight, but finally did it with some mallet persuasion. Curt's hitch is a well made, well designed product.

pete

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally got around to installing the etrailer wiring harness. Printing-out the installation instructions for the Honda harness (way more involved!) from a Honda parts/accessories supplier, helps you locate the various clips, tabs, snaps and bolts.

But you do not need to remove the whole side panel. The rear floor board and the hatch threshold need to come out, including the two tie-down loops. Then pop loose the rear edge of the side panel and about halfway along the top edge. Gently (g-e-n-t-l-y) pull the panel out just far enough to look in to locate the white plastic plug. You can reach in and hook-up the harness' plug without much trouble. Make sure you have it lined-up the right way. Snap it together. There is a ground screw conveniently located a little further to the rear - there are several ground wires on it already so make sure you get them all back on.

Use the provided double-sided tape and stick the electronics box somewhere where it won't be in the way of the side panel. Route the harness out the bottom of the side panel and into the wheel well. Snap all the bits back, and you are good to go.

BTW, I didn't use a panel removal tool, just two putty knives. The special tool would certainly make the job easier but I got by with extra care and without the tool.

OK now, let's tow something!

pete

·
Registered
271 Posts
Went with fastrackracks for a Curt #13555 class III hitch and got speedy delivery (free shipping) and a good price. As noted elsewhere, the shipping box (from Curt, not fasttrackracks) is not sturdy enough and the hitch was hanging out one end by the time UPS delivered it. No significant damage, just some paint scratches, but I e-mailed Curt about it anyway.

Took me about an hour to install and clean-up, working alone. Working with a partner would make this real easy. I had a struggle getting the center U-bolt hanger over the CRV's tow loop since it was too tight, but finally did it with some mallet persuasion. Curt's hitch is a well made, well designed product.

pete
Seems like you often have to use a sledge hammer to get things to line up with CURT hitches. The Toyota Tundra I installed on one took a few wacks to get things to line up.

Try Ebay, they just had a used one for a '02 CRV, sell for about $50 including the wire kit. You can't beat that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stay away from Hitch Source.

I placed an order for over $200.

One $23 item I ordered was mislabeled on their website. I called the manufacturer and they agreed and said they didn’t make a product for my situation. I then researched and found one made by a different manufacturer but realized that Hitch Source didn’t sell it so I thought I would just do a simple return.

When I called to see about a return the representative immediately became defensive and argued with me about the mislabeling.
When I pointed out that I had called the manufacturer and they had agreed that it was incorrectly labeled by Hitch Source, the representative became combative and refused to accept return because it had been over 20 days. (I received the product approximately 26 days before) Even though item was unopened, I would be paying return shipping and had been sold under false information, they refused to accept return.

If the item had been labeled correctly I would have continued searching until I found the correct product.

Also the packaging was pretty bad. They opened the hitch box and loosely tossed in the other items I ordered which included some delicate items. Many things were scraped and the hitch itself was poking through the box and banged up.

Summary:
Price-OK (Slightly cheaper than others)
Packaging-Bad (No protective packaging at all)
Customer Service-Horrible (actually non existent)
Return Policy-Restrictive (20 Days E-Trailer is 60 days)
Product Selection- Limited (Didn’t carry the correct product for my situation)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.