Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Wow
Reactions: UK-Kev

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good riddance frankly.

Enough threads on here show CrApple CP is temperamental.

(Caveat, I have no persuasion or preference for Android or Googles invasiveness either).

Reactions: Flyman and UK-Kev

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
I don't see where it will allow me to do anything I can't do now one way or another.
I would like to see them beef up the CPU horsepower for snappier responses.
But as long as it will do AA you can use a "Car Dongle" to run any CPU-intensive applications.
(This is NOT a retail product, with a warranty, though it probably will be soon. It's more of a "Go Fund Me" type of project. I included it here just FYI. I have supported them and have one on the way. I'll certainly report on it when I get it).

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd feel happier if Honda left a Double-Din void in the dash so I could install a headunit of my own choice....

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,153 Posts
I'd feel happier if Honda left a Double-Din void in the dash so I could install a headunit of my own choice....
Head units are an integral part of vehicle systems inc diagnostics, I doubt that will happen.

as for the all new model, I believe that to be the HRV Replacement. The new Pilot comes in early next year.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Head units are an integral part of vehicle systems inc diagnostics,
Nothing there that cant be replicated in the dash binnacle frankly...but I get what you're saying :)

Reactions: rocky

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
220 Posts
This is great news imho. Ford announced doing this quite some time ago, glad to see Honda also. Using google assistant / maps for navigation just can't be beat by any car mfg, not possible. Great to see it being 'built in', major step forward. They should have recognized this years ago.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
220 Posts
Interesting, didn't realize the extent to which car data could be used, nor the $ value of it, wow.

Not terribly surprising given Googles android phone history. Kind of doubt there would be an option to "Opt Out" of the data collection, possibly a hack to stop it though.

Scary though your exact location being available to, say, FBI? etc? Doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy...

·
Moderate
2,581 Posts
Nothing there that cant be replicated in the dash binnacle frankly...but I get what you're saying :)
Previous generations had the mess of standalone head unit, in Honda's example iMid + mid-cluster that had somewhat combined function but not consistent, needless overlap etc. Now manufacturers are beginning to unify everything so head units as is discontinue to exist. It's just a screen for the ECU/CAN/telematic unit to communicate with you with. Vehicle HU customisation will become a nice memory to tell your grandkids about. Not too sure if and how they will appreciate me showing them my old cables and amplifiers and speak "chinese" about cable gauge or in-dash cassette players.

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
Interesting, didn't realize the extent to which car data could be used, nor the $ value of it, wow.

Not terribly surprising given Googles android phone history. Kind of doubt there would be an option to "Opt Out" of the data collection, possibly a hack to stop it though.

Scary though your exact location being available to, say, FBI? etc? Doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy...
I understand, totally, but personally, I have nothing to hide. On the flip side, if it helps the authorities stop just one terrorist act, then I am all for it.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,057 Posts
EU has proper data privacy laws. The US does not. I'm not impressed.

Authoritarian governments will swoon for this sort of data vacuum process. It can easily be misused and will be.

It will also be a gateway door for hackers... who have an insatiable appetite for data that does not belong to them.

And who is going to pay for the cloud data storage of data Google says is there for customers to analyze? Google makes an absurd claim that a vehicle generates 4000GB of data per hour.... if so.. 99.999% of it is useless to owners. But I think Google is full of it here and is just trying to dazzle owners who have no real idea what a GB of data looks like. Google is market spinning here.

And who is going to pay for the wireless data service to put the data in the cloud?

I get that the for the industry what Google is doing is a forgone conclusion at this point. So, it's not like consumers have a say here. Google offered them better telemetry and data gathering and analysis, at the expense of owner privacy. It's always about the money for Google and they harvest money by vacuuming up data and selling it.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the plus side - this new pact may well improve Honda's infotainment systems in cars to come.

We shall see....

Reactions: mrtn

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
220 Posts
EU has proper data privacy laws. The US does not. I'm not impressed.

Authoritarian governments will swoon for this sort of data vacuum process. It can easily be misused and will be.

It will also be a gateway door for hackers... who have an insatiable appetite for data that does not belong to them.

And who is going to pay for the cloud data storage of data Google says is there for customers to analyze? Google makes an absurd claim that a vehicle generates 4000GB of data per hour.... if so.. 99.999% of it is useless to owners. But I think Google is full of it here and is just trying to dazzle owners who have no real idea what a GB of data looks like. Google is market spinning here.

And who is going to pay for the wireless data service to put the data in the cloud?

I get that the for the industry what Google is doing is a forgone conclusion at this point. So, it's not like consumers have a say here. Google offered them better telemetry and data gathering and analysis, at the expense of owner privacy. It's always about the money for Google and they harvest money by vacuuming up data and selling it.
Excellent point, totally agree. Along with others, I kind of don't care personally, but one never knows when things will change to a more authoritarian situation and our 'rights' become even more abused, this would be a gold mine for those (so-called authorities) with nefarious intent (think freedom of speech no longer guaranteed).

Almost makes you happy to know you don't already have this in your car now, the live data collection part anyway. I just don't like the idea of anyone having access to live info about ea and everything I may be doing with my car. It just ain't anyone else's damn business. It's an invasion of privacy.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,057 Posts
I just don't like the idea of anyone having access to live info about ea and everything I may be doing with my car. It just ain't anyone else's damn business. It's an invasion of privacy.
Yet.. more people own and use smart phones than motor vehicles and they seem to be freely oblivious that this is precisely what major phone brands have been doing for years now. So it makes sense that the major big tech firms will take that tacit permission and propagate it across other electronic devices, including motor vehicles.

Basically, Apple and Google, and even Amazon continue to look for opportunities to monetize everything a consumer owns in the way of devices, and a vehicle is now days just a giant smart device in a consumers hands. In Facebooks case, they skipped the tangible consumer ownership model entirely and simply put a giant data vacuum with a retail backend revenue engine to 3rd parties on the internet and offered consumers "free social media"... except it's not free and FB have never respected privacy or data protections until they get a legal boot firmly on their necks.

At the end of the day... this is ALWAYS about monetizing customer data by harvesting it from giant cloud data vacuums and selling it off to 3rd parties. Yeah, there are rules an laws even in the US here, but in my view they are loosely enforced and generally not enforced at all until some pack of owners works up some class action suit against smart phone companies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.